Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Orgeat cocktail with limited bar? I'll make you a homemade bottle!

Pages: 1 12 replies

I'm getting married this weekend - a country wedding in the Catskills - and I want to have a signature drink. I really like orgeat, so I'm making a big homemade batch right now. The thing is, our venue's bar pretty limited. Any suggestions for a tasty cocktail using selections from the following?

Orgeat (homemade)

Liquors
Vodka (Absolut, Smirnoff)
Gin (Tanqueray)
Rum (Bacardi)
Tequila (Jose Cuervo)
Scotch (Johnny Walker Red)
Whiskey (Seagrams 7, Jack Daniels)
Sweet and Dry Vermouths
Triple Sec

[u]Mixers[/u]
Pepsi
Diet Pepsi
7-Up
Ginger Ale
Seltzer
OJ
Cranberry

Other
Various Beers
Red wine (Cabernet)
White wine (Chardonnay)

I can also bring additional non-alcoholic ingredients, but we're having 100 people and I don't want to spend too much more money, so...bitters, lemons/limes, stuff like that I could pick up, but I don't want to go out and get cases of some other juice, soda, etc.

Extra special bonus points if you come up with something that's also good virgin.

Thanks everybody! If I use your recipe I'll make another batch and send you a bottle after the wedding.

I'm no mixologist but I just wanted to say congratulations & wish you all the best with your wedding and marriage!

Aw thanks!!

P

If you are up for a litte experimentation, here are some suggestions:

There is a drink called a Saturn that is made with gin, lemon juice, orgeat and passion fruit syrup. You have everything except the passion fruit. I am not sure what you have on your list that would sub for the passion fruit, but the first thing I would try would probably be the ginger ale.

For a variation on a manhattan/rob roy, you could use the johnny waker or the seagrams. I don't know if the JD would work, but orgeat does mix well with bourbon. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, dry vermouth and a little orgeat.

For something that could also be made virgin, you could make a somewhat pedestrian version of a tiki grog. Use the bacardi rum, lime juice, orange juice, triple sec and orgeat. The virgin version would leave out the rum and triple sec.

samhandwich, you're in a mellofahess! There's not too many ingredients there that would go in a traditional tiki drink. Actually, I'm no mixologist either ~ I just wanted to say "mellofahess" and offer my congratulations too :D

Thanks!

Heh...yeah...The "fully stocked bar" we were promised isn't exactly what I was expecting.

i'm no mixologist, but i'm a hell of an improviser:

1. here's how I'd make a Scorpion Bowl with what you have:

for each large portion:

2 oz Bacardi, 1 oz white wine, 1 oz gin, [can you get brandy/cognac? if so 1 oz of that, if not, maybe try a substitute of 1/2 oz Jack Daniels with 1/2 oz dry vermouth instead], 2 oz OJ, 1 oz lemon juice, 1 oz orgeat.

for ease, serve on the rocks, or, put multiple portions in communal bowls with ice cubes and straws...

a virgin version could sub sprite for the boozes...

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2012-05-04 19:35 ]

1. Eastern Sour

--2 oz Seagram's or JD, 2 oz OJ, 3/4 oz lemon, 1/2 oz orgeat. tastes much like a Scorpion.

1. Honi Honi

1.5 oz Seagram's or JD; 1/2 oz lime, 1/2 oz triple sec, 1/2 oz orgeat. tastes like a mai tai.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2012-05-04 19:42 ]

1. Fogcutter

--2 oz Bacardi, 1/2 oz gin, 1 oz of brandy/cognac or the JD/Vermouth blend, 2 oz lemon, 1 oz OJ, 1 oz orgeat. float cream sherry if they give you some.

1. i made a great non-alc drink one time that was a mix of orgeat, lemon, and raspberry syrup; i bet you could sub cran for the razz and it would be tasty, maybe add seltzer and make it a spritzer.

Go Porpoise!!!

Thank you Porpoise!!

Hey here's a tip for everyone who may be getting married in the future: The night before leaving for your wedding is probably not the best time to decide to make orgeat for the first time ever.

[ Edited by: samhandwich 2012-05-04 22:16 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies