Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Central iPhone app? Why not?

Pages: 1 24 replies

T

Will Tiki Central ever have an iPhone app? I want to be able to add photos with my phone in the field or on vacation/event.
It would make uploading photos faster without the aid of uploading to a computer then to the site.

Just a question of why not?

Thanks,
Fuzz

P
porco posted on Wed, May 9, 2012 9:06 AM

there is an app called tapatalk that makes viewing & using phpbb3 based forums much easier. the owner of the forum has to enable/add the code for it to work, as well as the user has to purchase the app for their respective smart phone.

i run it on a forum i admin, and it's pretty nice. the users have really taken to it.

K
Kanu posted on Thu, May 17, 2012 4:39 AM

There was a post in the Ohana section requesting it:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39011&forum=15

I sent a message via the "Contact Tiki Central" asking about it... so we'll see. But I will say that browsing on my android isn't too terrible, and double tapping in a thread formats itself pretty well to the smaller screen.

[ Edited by: Tiki Trev 2012-05-17 04:41 ]

KT

Any movement on tapatalk being enabled? As I've said previously, I would post more often if I could upload photos to tiki central from my iPhone.

I've been using my iPhone instead of my PC to interact with TC for over a year now. I take and upload photos to the threads on a regular basis and find it very easy to work with. Not only is the phone much faster than my desktop dinosaur the camera on it is much better than my standalone digital camera.

I can view the site on my Galaxy 3 but I can't seem to upload pictures. I'd vote for an app for that!

I would love some kind of Android app! Be nice for a Grog Log app as well!!

Just a heads up on this. First off, Tapatalk is not compatible with Tiki Central. Tapatalk is designed to work with "off the shelf" phpbb based forums which TC is not. To get TC to have a special smart phone interface would require some in depth coding from Hanford which may be on his "to do" list but is probably not near the top. We can certainly keep hoping though.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2013-04-19 10:56 ]

I too primarily interact with TC through iPhone and iPad. This will only become more and more prevalent as time goes on.

I was hoping for a direct neural interface, wireless of course
with an option to stimulate sense areas of the brain
which I could set in preferences, Your other suggestions are primitive....

G

I would visit more if it was compatible with Tapatalk...

Please??????

Ok, thanks

On 2017-03-21 16:43, Guittiki wrote:
I would visit more if it was compatible with Tapatalk...

Please??????

Ok, thanks

Question. Is it just because of the image uploading issue, or are there other reasons?

Here on an iPad right now down in the tiki lounge, and have to say typing in a forum with this screen keyboard sucks.

For years we've been thinking about what killed Tiki Central. Always assumed Facebook was the number one culprit.

But apparently smartphones had their part in the slaying, too.

On 2017-03-21 21:52, mike and marie wrote:
For years we've been thinking about what killed Tiki Central. Always assumed Facebook was the number one culprit.

But apparently smartphones had their part in the slaying, too.

While I think you're right about different social media having their affect, I feel the people here had more to do with it. Not that it's not an issue in other environments, but it seemed more...personal, here.

K

I've been preaching for a while that tikicentral desperately needs to run a more modern style of vbb. A big concern is mobile viewing - more and more traffic these days is done on mobile devices, especially cellphones. This forum is unfortunately NOT compatible to mobile phones. Responsive design, or at least a mobile alternate, is so important. I'd happily chip in to help with an upgrade.

An upgrade to TC would be nice, but that would be a HUGE undertaking which would take lots of time and may also cost lots of money. I recall someone posting here (Hakalugi?) that there is quite a gap in the current TC technology and current board technology, so it would be a matter of months and not days to upgrade and migrate all the text and images.

Some keep mentioning "the death of TC due to past people here." Who gives a flying $%#& - they're generally not causing trouble now, and more trouble makers can join at any time. Plus, it's not as if Facebook is free from all controversy either. This last detail really gets me because it's so blatantly unrealistic -- how pure-as-the-driven-snow are Facebook conversations? What happens on Facebook fades quickly - it is a now-and-in-the-moment social network, so stuff can expire and goes away pretty quickly.

Our current Tiki Central system is a pretty decent and searchable repository. I'm glad we have it, despite the fact that it's not using latest-and-greatest technology. But eventually the software may require a major upgrade otherwise this system will not be able to continue running. I'm guessing that Hanford has this in the back of his mind. But he may already be working on some sort of a future transition plan.

New to this great place and get the feeling I might have missed its heyday but alas times change I guess.

I have no problem viewing TC on my iphone and use that as much as the desktop to search and post here.

One thing I sort of wondered about is a lack of a social area in this forum...sort of like a Tiki Diner for people that are just hanging out in the forum, a place to just say hi, introduce yourself, etc. I know this forum is more of repository of information and a great learning place but is there any sort of social section that I did not find?

J

On 2017-03-27 13:11, TikiTeddie wrote:
is there any sort of social section that I did not find?

The closest thing to a social section is TikiSHOUT! at the bottom of the front page. But it's not near as active as it used to be.

Hi TikiFreddie and welcome to Tiki Central. No, there isn't really a "social" area of TC. There is a New Members Introduction thread but it doesn't get much response. There is an Ohana area for birthdays and such. SHOUT! at the bottom of the main page can be used for "drive-by" conversations. If you post a general comment or question someone will probably respond in a day or so. Most of the interaction takes place within the Locating, Collecting, Food and Drink, or Creating Tiki areas among people interested in those specific topics.

As far as the question about updating TC, here is a recent post from Hanford on another thread. (Weird, it would not let me copy and paste the text here)

FOLLOW-UP: Just noticed that Hanford (the "owner" of this Tiki Central system) has edited and updated his post about Tiki Central and what he's thinking about for the future. I think you'll agree it's good news - it's a very nicely written message to all of us who love Tiki Central and who care (and worry) about the future. Thank you to Hanford for reminding us that he does have his hand on the steering wheel!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43666&forum=15&vpost=774512

I've been a member of the popular Classic Horror Film Board for several years, and they've been using Tapatalk for the last few years, and it's actually pretty nifty. It's recently seen some updates that really make it a lot more fun, both on my iPhone and in my web browser on my laptop, and I think Tiki Central could very possibly see an increase in user engagement as well as new membership by switching over to it. You can request a migration preview of Tiki Central to the Tapatalk Groups format for free, right from their main page.

I'd give it some serious consideration, admins. It couldn't hurt.

Hi Iv been a member of TC for a few years and would love to post some pictures of my latest bar build and lamps but can’t seem to donif off my iPhone! I don’t really use a computer these days! Anyone know if you can upload from your phone?
Thanks

Tom

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Sep 22, 2019 4:58 PM

It's not easy, but photos can be uploaded from a iPhone. Here's how I do it, in order to make sure they post correctly (not sideways):

1. In the Photos app, select the photo you want to post to TC

2. Edit the photo is some way (I usually rotate the orientation once, save, then rotate it back to the proper orientation)

3. Repeat for every photo to be uploaded

4. Open an browser and log into TC

5. Go to the thread you where want to post the picture(s), and tap "Post reply" at the bottom

6. Tap "Add images to your post"; a new tab should open

7. Tap the "Choose file" button, and select either "Photo Library" or "Browse" depending where the pictures you want to upload are

8 ) Select the photo you wish to upload, and tap "Done"

1. Tap "Submit"

2. Repeat for every photo to be uploaded

Ok here goes!!!

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/78465/5d8a244e

On 2019-09-22 16:58, Hamo wrote:
It's not easy, but photos can be uploaded from a iPhone. Here's how I do it, in order to make sure they post correctly (not sideways):

1. In the Photos app, select the photo you want to post to TC

2. Edit the photo is some way (I usually rotate the orientation once, save, then rotate it back to the proper orientation)

3. Repeat for every photo to be uploaded

4. Open an browser and log into TC

5. Go to the thread you where want to post the picture(s), and tap "Post reply" at the bottom

6. Tap "Add images to your post"; a new tab should open

7. Tap the "Choose file" button, and select either "Photo Library" or "Browse" depending where the pictures you want to upload are

8 ) Select the photo you wish to upload, and tap "Done"

1. Tap "Submit"

2. Repeat for every photo to be uploaded

Thanks Hamo. Kind of worked! I had to upload an image then highlight and copy it and past it in the the txt box! Not the easiest way of posting pics and it kind of made my iPhone X go a bit haywire! But Iv finally uploaded my first picture!

BS

Anybody know why the pictures I post on my bar build keep disappearing?

Pages: 1 24 replies