Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Never been to Trader Vics, need approximate prices on food and drink please!

Pages: 1 7 replies

Howdy everyone, much to my shame I have never made it into a Trader Vic's so I figured I would have a small get together of friends for my upcoming 40th birthday in June. But I can't seem to find even approximate prices for the food and drinks so I really don't know if this is a "break the bank" kinda place or something like Olive Garden: kind of pricey, but affordable. I'd really like to eat there for Dinner or brunch whichever is cheaper, and possibly have one drink (I say possibly because most drinks I have allergies to). This is the Trader Vic's in Portland Oregon, so if anyone has recent experience in pricing I would appreciate some input, their website makes it look so upper scale it scares me (but at least they have a gluten free menu).

yelp says $30-60 for a meal one drink tax & tip.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/trader-vics-portland-portland
seems on target compared to other trader vic's i have been to.

Thanks exquisitecorpse.... umm wow that is a bit pricey. Wonder if I could just get a salad, or an entree and a drink? I will have to look into it more I may not be able to go after all.

Most of the Trader Vic's have a nice happy hour with some pretty cheap eats. You want to go to the bar anyway so ask them what they have for happy hour. Another option would be to go somewhere else and then hit the "Late" happy hour they have after 10. Call and ask what their 2 happy hours include.

It can indeed be expensive, I agree with the others...go for Happy Hour and suck up the ambiance and their signature Mai Tai and split an appetizer. Good idea to plan ahead of time so you bring enough mula to have a nice time. Take pictures!!!

Took Mom there for an early Mother's Day..we had 1 cocktail each, 1 appetizer, 2 meals and 1 dessert and it was just under $100 with tip.

Dont let the price hold you back.

You can easily stay in the bar area and get a cocktail and some pupus. Make it part of a bigger night of eats and drinks start at TVs and then head to a restaurant for a full meal.

Dont miss out on making it there for you birthday because a lot of people are dying to get to that location so you have to make us jealous :)

Be sure to buy at least 1 souvenir mug too.

Not sure what you are allergic to drinks wise but my mom cant have citrus so she had a rum and coke and was fine.

Also the bartenders are going to be able to suggest a drink that wont make you ill :)

Happy Early Birthday!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will figure out something to get Vics in, even if its only a drink. My allergies are long and abundant, but for alcohol the only one I can have is Rum due to the way the sugar chemical composition is different. I also am allergic to gluten so no wheat, oats, barley, rye. Even rum I have to be careful just how much I have and how strong it is.

I do for sure want to get a souvenir glass, as I currently don't own any tiki mugs mainly due to lack of space, but also because I wanted the first one to be special.

I really appreciate all the help. :)

The 75th anniversary mug is very well done and would be a great Trader Vic's 1st drinking vessel purchase.

Pages: 1 7 replies