Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

My new BLUE TIKI music video!

Pages: 1 3 replies

New and very silly music video I made with my iTunes visualizer and my Blue Tiki charm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcMNTKEj96Q

The 'Blue Tiki' video of the original song, Blue Tiki, features the Tiki Cowboys performing live at the Tiki Terrace on May 17, 2012, for the 3rd Thursday Throwdown in Des Plaines, Illinois. With Woody Johnson (guitar), Bob Holdsworth (bass) and Eric Behrenfeld (ukulele and vocals)

This video can be watched in 3D as well!

Mahalo for watching, Hope you ENJOY!

Baron

Um hate to piss on yer parade,
but that is a Moai not a tiki.

Jeffy, one might think what one will about that video, it is after all -ahem- kind of "minimalist" :D ...but I must speak out for the MOAI having very much become a TIKI in American Polynesian pop. From the Book of Tiki, page 40:

"..a new figurehead of Polynesian pop emerged: The carved native idol commonly referred to as Tiki. Notwithstanding the fact that the term did not exist in the Hawaiian or Tahitian languages, or that the stone sculptures of Easter Island were actually called Moai - in Polynesian Pop, all Oceanic carvings became members of one happy family: the Tikis."

Somewhere later, I mention the fact that because of the popularity of Thor Heyerdahl's "Aku Aku" published in 1958, they were sometimes referred to as "Aku Tikis", but in Tiki style's heyday, the term "Moai" was never used. The fact that nowadays we know better, and most of us do call them Moai, is a credit to the expanded horizon of the Tikiphiles and Polynesiacs of the Tiki Revival. While the revival has in many ways happily adopted the unreflected, naive ways of our forefathers, some advances in cultural awareness are just too hard to ignore. :)

OK, hard to slip one by the Tiki police....
I bought the (Moai) Blue Tiki at the Tiki Terrace if that helps legitimize it. :tiki:

Here's another Tiki Cowboy video I did back in 2009 that has some Tiki mugs and a couple of tiny tiki statues in it, called 'Tiki Lady' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL9dwl2ej8s

Pages: 1 3 replies