Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

A liquor cabinet:

Pages: 1 19 replies

A

Some fun, on a budget.
(Begging pardon if this is the wrong place for such a post.)

Living a lot of the time in a one-room concrete-box rental, I wanted to give my rum and other cocktail fixings a Tiki home. Well, Tiki-ish, anyway. The self-imposed rules were that other than the base carcase and drawers from an Ikea kitchen unit, everything had to be thrift-store or CraigsList. Bonus points for 'Free'!

Here's the end result. Lots of 'not really Tiki' stuff happening so if that kind of heresy offends then best to look away :)

Oh, and the superstructure had to be all lashed; no screws or nails. It's solid enough to climb on. If you don't weigh any more than a parrot or a small monkey, anyway.
Kudos and thanks to Tikiskip for the post of pointers on lamp-from-basket making.
I'm well aware that a liquor cabinet pales in comparison to the amazing home bars normally posted here, but it is doing its job...

And the mood in the room is an order of magnitude less clinical than it used to be. Cabinet door is faux packing crate from scrap from the firewood pile - the handle used to be part of a tourist trophy salad set. Ridge beam was a cedar fence board, cladding is recycled babmboo blinds, and so on. The 'jungle' grows out of another faux packing crate, on castors so it can be wheeled aside for cleaning.

cheers!
Alefoot

J

An elegant solution for those who can't go "all out."

Well played, indeed.

Really nice and of course Home Tiki Bars is the right place to post this. I'd love to see more of these.

Great job. Very creative. :drink:

That is so cool, I just love how you did that and it doesn't take over the whole room, really inspires me to do something of my own...

That's a great looking piece of furniture! My first tiki bar was hashed together out of an Ikea bookshelf wrapped in beach mats and lined with halved bamboo poles. It looked like crap! Yours fits both a DIY ethic and visual aesthetic that most folks here would really appreciate. It could be a great start to bigger collection, or a nice place to stop and keep it simple!

That is rad!!!!!!! I love that idea. Great job. :D

Fabulous!!!

A

Thank you all for the kindly and generous feedback :) I'd be especially happy if anyone was inspired to have a go themselves, and interested to see other takes. Perhaps my search-fu is bad, but while I found lots of great inspiration, I encountered surprisingly few liquor cabinet / mini-bar type approaches on TC.

very well done

Amy

M

I too have a small place. Your idea would fit right into my size apt. I wanted a regular size bar but it would probably be too much. I love what you did with your bar stand. If you don't have the room, you do what you can. Great idea, thank you for sharing.

Great idea!

T
TikiB posted on Fri, May 25, 2012 8:25 AM

Bar looks good. I like the quick access you have to your booze. You fit a lot of rum in neatly.

Very well done. I love the door and slide out shelves for quick and easy access to the bottles.
The open sign at the top just finishes it off nicely.

Erick

You gotta love IKEA.

Nice way to take an existing product and turn it into something with style.

Ingenious.

T

That is a Great job!!
Your lights are awesome too!
I like that bowl on the bottom of the light trick you did there.
Have seen those bowls and never could find a way to use em.
Keep on makin Tiki, I want to see more.

Amazing!

Very swank! What a great way to do tiki in a rented space!
Tiki Kitty

Very clever! It looks good and more importantly, IMO, does the job! Enjoy using it and thank you for sharing!

Really nice AF! Looks like the perfect spot to concoct a perfect Mai Tai."Good things come in small packages"
Cheers

Pages: 1 19 replies