Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tucson Tiki

Pages: 1 10 replies

New member but have been prowling for years. We finally finished the construction of our home bar! Took us a year due to lack of motivation in +100 degree temps but it's finally done. I'm sure the decor will evolve over a lifetime but I'm a bit skeptical of displaying my tiki collection outside. Anyway...enjoy

I was in Tucson last week and it was HOT 106!

I like what you did with the doors.

I agree, those doors are awesome. Some Tikis like to live outside, so sure your evolution will include a few eventually. Sounds like you need some cool cocktails already.

Are the doors painted? They look great!

On 2012-05-29 11:20, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Are the doors painted? They look great!

They are painted then stained over top...Thanks!

It looks like a nice outdoor bar setup, But where is the Tiki?
corrugated metal is not really evocative of the Tiki aesthetic
Sorry, just being honest.

Looks good! What's with the big curtains - block out the sun in the summer or keep in the heat on those chilly winter desert evenings? I see lots of shade trees in the back, that's a good sign! Got any plans to "age" the corregated metal? It looks a little too "clean" for tiki :lol:

Hey K71 You're an inspiration. I've had a large sheet of beat-up corrugated metal for years that i,ve been trying to incorporate into the Happy Talk Lounge (my home bar) Was thinking it had to be used overhead and I really like the "thatch" that many tc'ers use so I had me a dilemma.

I think that I like the metal cuz it evokes memories of my time as a Jarhead in the Pacific. Not ww11 smart@sses, the 60's, Many places used
the c m recycled from Quonset huts,etc. I agree with the mad dog though-it is a little too bright and shiny.
Anxious to see it evolve. Gonna name it?
Cheers from California

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-07-13 17:21 ]

A few reasons behind the metal...it's cheap, fast and easy to install, and the house is a territorial style of architecture so we are blending a cantina style with tiki.
Thought about naming it "Pu'e One" which is Hawaiian for sand bar. There is no shortage of sand here and we plan on incorporating a sand/fire pit as well. Any name suggestions are more than welcome as nothing really grabs me yet.

[ Edited by: Kahiapo71 2012-07-16 10:37 ]

I'm in Tucson as well. Been into this stuf for a while. Let me know if ya need anything big or small carved for your place. I love this stuff but have been laying low for a while but I am getting motivated again.

On 2012-07-29 21:00, Tucson Tiki wrote:
I'm in Tucson as well. Been into this stuf for a while. Let me know if ya need anything big or small carved for your place. I love this stuff but have been laying low for a while but I am getting motivated again.

Thanks! I scored 6-6' palms this weekend and have plans to carve them but since I've never done it I may have someone else.

Pages: 1 10 replies