Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Community Traveling Sketchbook Project

Pages: 1 32 replies

T

Hello all Tiki-friends-artists-creatives

Within the Tiki-community there are a lot of creative individuals. And as many artists often do they have a sketchbook that they jot down ideas into, or post on these forums. But what if there was a sketchbook where tiki artists could be found in one spot?

A few months back I found this on the internet (I think I found it after getting Danny Gregory's - An Illustrated Life):

http://www.sketchtravel.com/

To summarize (if you don't want to click the link, but you know you do):
A blank hardcover sketchbook
1 page per artist
No theme to it
Once each artist is completed with their page they hand-delivered the book to another artist.

So a few days ago it hit me - why can't the Tiki Community do the same thing? There are a bunch of great artists around - Shag, Yaniger, Horne, Thor, Tiki Tony, Ruzic etc etc. And it would be a cool project of a collection of all styles of artists who are representing the Tiki Pop Culture.

But once this project is completed how to offer the book back to the Tiki Community and possibly to a wider audience? In discussions I have had with some artists, and as was done on the Sketchtravel project, all the proceeds from sales were given to a charity (which is all about the aloha spirit).

This is just a starting post. Please like this and spread the information to those Artists who would be interested in joining this collective art project.

Mahalo
Andrew

THIS IS OPEN TO ANY AND ALL ARTISTS

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2012-06-15 09:28 ]

Looks like a fun project.

The charity idea is a good one...maybe the Ken Ruzic Hair Research Foundation?

Sounds great....even to the geographically challenged!

Great Project idea!

I got's close to 50 sketchbooks filled,dating from 1989 to present...
the past 6-7 years are FULL of mostly Tiki work which i try to share on my posts when applicable
(ie: studies for paintings,character developments,experiments,etc.)

So just filling ONE page would be a breeze!
Sign me up !

as long as the charity is for
Surgery to get Doug's legs shortened
or transplanting a brain in BigToe's noggin!
:)

Z

What a GREAT idea! I think that is brilliant!

We should get this puppy up and running SOON!
So we can exchange the sketchbook around Tiki Oasis and such!

W

Sounds like a great idea I say do it

B

im in.

B

bitches

Maybe we should auction this book off
and raise some money
to help Tom's Tourettes...

Boys!!!

I'd love to do this and we'll be at Oasis. Do we need to bring felt pens or colored pencils? Wendy

T

The idea is to hand off the book (which I will be purchasing soon) to other artists. No rush on it, but I'm looking for help/ideas on how we can get this to all tiki people and beyond once it is completed.

Yes, I would like the kick-off to either be at the Tiki Marketplace in July (if that is happening) or Tiki Oasis. But right now it is getting as many artists/creatives on board.

Yes, the original should be auctioned off to help out charity. Just like to also get a replica/reproduction/copy that can be sold to others. Which again, help or getting this out to someone who knows how publishing works would be a fantastic boost!

Before I go purchasing the book. Any suggestions on size, material?

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2012-06-07 10:18 ]

a BIG sketchbook (at LEAST 9x12/iix14 and up...) THICK paper so it doesn't bleed onto the next page
archival paper
No spiral bound or perforated pages!
this book should be nicely bound with a heavy front and back cover..

this is what i get and they aint failed me yet!

i would love to part of this if you will let me be part of it

Mahalo

T

This is open to all tiki-artists/creatives that want to share their talent in really cool project for charity.

T

This is open to all tiki-artists/creatives that want to share their talent in really cool project for charity.

Im really liking this idea. Can't wait to see the book when full

Im really liking this idea. Can't wait to see the book when full

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jun 12, 2012 5:00 PM

Great idea -

I hope it gets passed around to me at some point :wink:

Don't worry Greg...
ESP lives real close to the studio
just had a nice lil studio visit last weekend
and we talked art,the scene,events,sketchbooks
this could be a nice record of an art genre
during this period
So you'll most certainly be in there....
so all we gotta do is work out the timing....

Wheeeeeeeee!
you went and bought a sketchbook yet ESP?
my fingah's is itchin!
:)

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jun 14, 2012 8:50 AM

Mahalo Kinney!

Yes

Sketchbook is purchased. Just want to "tiki" the cover up. Any thoughts on how to keep a track (without inserting a GPS tracking device) of it?

If it doesn't mess with the purity of the project, I'd love to send a sketch out for inclusion!

Zero-Street

The idea is to get the physical sketchbook in your hands to contribute to it. Take a look at the first post and take a look at the sketch travel project. That will give an idea of what this project is based off of.

Cheers
Andrew

I understand. I'm sure it'll be amazing!

Z

im in.

it'll probably be an Honor system kind of thing
or just have each artist report who they turned it over to
and keeep that in a ledger...kind of like a Library card thang...
Toe,Doug,and i are artjamming tonight at the studio
if you got it over to the studio tonight,we could help ya with the cover and get some of them insides started.....

Maybe have each artist scan thier finished work and e-mail it to you,so we can keep a rolling record of the submissions....

T

Wish I could make it, but I'm OT tonight! :(

T

Sketchbook is ready to go!!

To keep track of the last person who had it please post here who got it and what day.

Ie:
(Date) - Handed to Mr. x by Mr. y

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2012-06-18 09:41 ]

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jun 18, 2012 3:43 PM

I'm wondering about a couple things i.e. -

Should artists focus solely on polypop subjects?

If I receive the sketchbook may I just pick any blank page or should the submissions be linear starting from the beginning at page 1?

Date and signature required? It seems an obvious necessity but who knows? Maybe part of the schtick could be "guess the artist" and have a summary on the last page?

Time limit per artist?

Will there be a ultimate deadline placed on the sketchbook?

If mailed, what are the requirements for a guaranteed safe arrival i.e. insurance and signature required upon delivery for tracking purposes?

What shouldn't be used (i.e. Sharpie pens that bleed through the paper?)

Ultimately what charity will the receive the proceeds? Who is responsible to ensure this situation is handled correctly?

OR - am I just being anal and should I stop thinking about such OCD trivial details? :)

If the sketchbook is ready - I'm ready! G

T

Should artists focus solely on polypop subjects?

It would be preferred, because this is suppose to be a tome of tiki-poly-pop artists.

If I receive the sketchbook may I just pick any blank page or should the submissions be linear starting from the beginning at page 1?

Preferably in order.

Date and signature required? It seems an obvious necessity but who knows? Maybe part of the schtick could be "guess the artist" and have a summary on the last page?

Yes, date and signature would be good, because I was originally thinking that in the back of the book would be a profile of each artist. That way it would give each a brief profile with website, contact info, etc. It would be an extra bit of effort to get a short blurp on everyone, when it's finished, but think it would help.

Time limit per artist?

Right now, I don't think there is a time limit per artist. I'd like to have several pages done by Tiki Oasis so that I could present the idea to other artists who will be there.

Will there be a ultimate deadline placed on the sketchbook?

Depends upon how many artists we get. The original SketchTravel project lasted several years. I am sure, like you, there are certain artists that need to be in the book, because you want to throw a wide net and hopefully catch all the fish out there.

If mailed, what are the requirements for a guaranteed safe arrival i.e. insurance and signature required upon delivery for tracking purposes?

Yes. Even with hand delivery, I'd like to keep a track here and/or PM/email me. Email will be in the book.

What shouldn't be used (i.e. Sharpie pens that bleed through the paper?)

Perhaps have one page buffer between each, so bleeding from one piece to the next won't happen. But, I leave that up to what you want to do.

Ultimately what charity will the receive the proceeds? Who is responsible to ensure this situation is handled correctly?

When I spoke with Tiki Tony he said there was an Easter Island charity
http://islandheritage.org/wordpress/

or Surfrider Foundation

bottom line - I think the charity has to have some link with the tiki community.

Again, please pass this along to any and all tiki/poly-pop artists who'd be interested in joining this cool project!

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2012-06-18 16:05 ]

T

Update:

The book has its first artist in! Thanks to Tiki Tony for kicking it off, and the book is now in the hands of Doug Horne! Again this is a networking project, pass the word along to fellow artists/creatives.

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-04-08 09:29 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-04-08 09:30 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-04-08 09:30 ]

Pages: 1 32 replies