Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

BIG pile o' WITCO found!

Pages: 1 20 replies

M

If you've been in this bidness a while you know that you'll go a for years and never see something, then BANG, you find three in one day. Thats kind of the story here , in less than 6 weeks three different sets of Witco from three different folks found their way to me. Another great thing is that they are all one owner pieces. Each person had a story of when and where they, or their parents bought it.

OK, the first set is a giant Tiki couch and chair, an amoeba shaped tiki coffee table, and a clock. An awesome clock. The zebra print is original to the pieces but will have to be replaced, and probably the foam.

The second piece found was a giant Buddha fountain! The Buddha is 6 feet tall and has all of the pumps tubes, etc. There is a separate piece that holds two tiers of carved bowls that the water flows through.

The third set has 4 pieces. A carved bar-great design that I have not seen before, two stools, and a hanging bar back for glasses or bottles. The stools need new foam and have ugly upholstery. The wood on all of the pieces is in great shape. There are nicks and chunks, but no water damage, splitting etc.

I asked around and searched a lot on the computer to try and price these. There's not a lot out there on these specific pieces other than pictures. Soooo, im pricing them as I would for nice mid-century pieces of similar nature, that is my forte. So if you think my pricing is way out there let me know, if you think it is insanely low, buy it, then let me know. I would be willing to really really deal to someone who could use the lot.

You would need to be prepared to pick it up or have it shipped from East Tennessee. I would be willing to deliver for the cost of truck rental, gas, and food. (Within Reason, probably not to Seattle.)

Couch, Chair, Coffee table, clock 1200.00
Buddha fountain, stand and bowls 1500.00
Bar, 2 stools, and bar back 1400.00
I would also be open to trade for high grade 1950s stuff. Herman Miller , Knoll and such. Eames (real Eames).
So, let me know what you think. Pass this along to any of your friends who have, or going to open a Tiki bar, I think it would be awesome all together. Im going to attempt to post pictures, but if I'm unsuccessful email me at [email protected]

nice find !! those are some cool pieces but i think you are gonna be hard pressed to find anyone on tiki central spending that kind of dough on this stuff... especially in this economy. i appreciate your ambition though....the witco market seems to have bottomed out but ya never know. 12 years ago you could have named your price...these days, not so much. best of luck to you, hope it finds a good home....

nice to see that folks other than tiki david are finding good witco stashes out there in the wild....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2012-06-06 14:14 ]

KS

Super nice pieces, but I agree with Tipsy. This is coming from someone who spends a lot too... Haha!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to detract from the GREAT find though...

mcpeak it is considered a bit rude to just post stuff for sale
in your first post without introducing yourself first as a new member
do you have an interest in the Tiki Revival?

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jun 7, 2012 6:50 AM

Greg is a friend of mine here in TN. I don't think it is rude to list stuff for sale to people who might want it. You don't have to be a tikiphile to have stuff to sell.

P

Wow, that is a really great bar. Too bad it is in Tennessee. I have not seen that one before. Is it actually Witco, or a Witco imitator? Sven?

I believe it's a Witco bar, yes, but I am not at home with my archive to check. I think it was an attempt at making a modernist bar :)
Nice stuff. From Tennessee? I wonder if it was bought at the same store in Memphis that Elvis bought his Jungle Room Witco from, like my Tahitian bar and couch and chair.

M
mcpeak posted on Thu, Jun 7, 2012 2:10 PM

Hey again, yeah, I did consider the rudeness aspect, but wasnt sure on etiquette, I dont do a lot of these things, sooo without further ado....(ahem)...Hi, I'm Greg McPeak, and yes I do love Tiki culture, as well as the Burlesque revival-got to work with the World Famous Pontani Sisters a few times, Rockabilly and all its variants, lowbrow art, and highbrow for that matter, Lucha Libre, Surf Rock (go Straitjackets!),Thai food (really hot), Snob Beer (Really hoppy). Basically I am attracted to any type of sub-culture, even if I must sometimes just be a vouyer.
Lets see, I'm a Leo if that matters to anyone. A disc golf addict, pro herb, mostly liberal with I'm sure some conservative twists. Oh, did I mention Th'Legendary ShackShakers?- Greatest band going now for me.

Im more into 50s modern, and 40s Skyscraper and Streamline deco ,I dont need to be starting a new collection.

OK, So, I priced high? Cool, ring in with what reasonable prices might be like in this day and age. I do think the Buddha is pretty special with all its pieces parts, and the bar is really growing on me. Very modernist design. I'm not trying to get rich here, but dont want to give it away either. I will really make a killer deal if anyone can use it all. Peace

That's the way to do it mcpeak & welcome to TC.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2012 7:14 AM

And he failed to mention what might let you know where he is coming from Pre to Post Modern in Nashville.

Good morning.. I just joined this great site.. I want to properly introduce myself.. I am Gregory McCook.. an Native American artist who loves to carve and sculpt various woods.. horn, bone, shell and stone.. I also love to draw in ballpoint pen.. I very much enjoy the meditation of finding oneself inside of the spirit of the material.. we all very much enjoy..I always find myself going past the boundaries from my previous pieces.. I live just off the coast of the Pacific Ocean in Oregon.. thank you and let's all dance and spread our wings as an Eagle circles its prey..

That's deep, bro. Welcome to TC, I like your carvings.

Thanks for introducing yourself, FYI there is actually a thread where everybody introduces themselves, which is really the proper place for this: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6&forum=1&hilite=introductions

Mcpeak, I sent you a pm last week

Amy

Great Finds!!!
Looks like all the stars aligned for you
in those three weeks!
:)

Does everyone who sells Witco not respond to PM's? :)

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-06-11 16:42 ]

On 2012-06-11 16:32, Queen Kamehameha wrote:

I think there may be a cryptic reference to ME in that statement.
The fact is I did respond to your 'PM' OF 3/20/12, ON 3/21/12.With thoughts
on a deal, AND, my phone #
I based my response on 'info' given to me by others, MAYBE, that 'info' was wrong,
or you were not interested in a trade deal.or maybe it was undoable.
I do not know ,because ,YOU, did not return MY 'PM'
TD

T

I can't pass this one up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q

H

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-06-11 16:42 ]

McPeak posted an email, give that a shot if you haven't:
[email protected]

M

Okey Dokey. I know how to do a Personal Message now. Thank you all for you help and support, I've met a great bunch of folks.
At this point the Couch/chair/table combo is sold with good possibilities on the fountain and bar set. But, please ring in if you are interested. Shipping and pick up are big issues and a lot of folks will have to pass because of those costs.
Peace, McPeak [email protected]

On 2012-06-12 07:40, TIKI DAVID wrote:

I think there may be a cryptic reference to ME in that statement.
The fact is I did respond to your 'PM' OF 3/20/12, ON 3/21/12.With thoughts
on a deal, AND, my phone #
I based my response on 'info' given to me by others, MAYBE, that 'info' was wrong,
or you were not interested in a trade deal.or maybe it was undoable.
I do not know ,because ,YOU, did not return MY 'PM'
TD

Hi David, actually I wasn't talking about you, sorry I didn't get back to you our back and forth just took too long and then I kinda lost my place on the whole deal.. But regarding this it wasn't you...

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-06-12 16:12 ]

COOL!

Pages: 1 20 replies