Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 6-6-12: Celebrating Broadway

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: June 6, 2012

On this week’s show we perambulated the penumbra of the Great White Way, celebrating the variegated and vainglorious musical highlights and highjinks of the Big Apple’s famed main stem: Broadway. Due to a spell of mindlessness, I left some of the music at home and had to improvise with what I had brought with me to the station, hence the use of a couple of songs from the same CDs, something I normally avoid doing on the same show.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Broadway’s Gone Hawaii,” the 1936 song by Woody Herman from the copacetic collection of the same name on Harlequin Records, featuring Mr. Herman on Vocal.

2. “Smiles” by Jimmy Yates’ Boll Weevils form the anthology: Slidin' on the Frets: The Hawaiian Steel Guitar Phenomenon, featuring Jimmy Yates on Vocal and Lap Steel Guitar. The song was composed by J. Will Callahan & Lee S. Roberts in 1917 and used the following year in the Broadway revue: The Passing Show of 1918.

3. “You're Driving Me Crazy,” written by Walter Donaldson for the 1930 Broadway musical: Smiles, sung in 1931 by Josephine Baker from her collection: Exotique.

4. “Crazy Rhythm,” by Irving Caesar, Joseph Meyer & Roger Wolfe Kahn for the 1928 Broadway musical: Here’s Howe, performed in the late 1930s by Felix Mendelssohn & His Hawaiian Serenaders from the recording: Crazy Rhythm Hawaiian Swing.

5. “Oh, Lady Be Good” the 1925 recording by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards, written by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1924 Broadway show of the same name starring the brother & sister team of Fred & Adele Astaire and co-starred Ukulele Ike, taken from the CD Box Set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

6. A strange version of “Night and Day,” the 1968 performance by the famed composer and electronic instrument inventor Raymond Scott from the collection of his work: Manhattan Research Inc.

7. “Mountain High, Valley Low,” from the 1958 LP: Orienta, the Markko Polo Adventurers version of the tune composed by Raymond Scott & Bernie Hanighen for the 1946 Broadway musical: Lute Song, starring Mary Martin and featuring a then-unknown Yul Brynner and future First Lady Nancy Reagan, taken from the collection: Return to Paradise: A History of Exotica.

8. “The Lady Is a Tramp,” composed by Rodgers & Hart from their 1937 Broadway musical: Babes In Arms, performed by Arthur Lyman on his LP: Leis of Jazz, recorded in 1959 at the Henry J. Kaiser Aluminum Geodesic Dome in Honolulu and featuring Mr. Lyman on Vibes, Alan Soares on Piano, Harold Chang on Drums and John Kramer on Bass.

9. “Makin' Whoopee” by Mel Torme and the Mel-Tones from their 1959 LP: Back in Town LP, featuring Victor Feldman on Vibes and Art Pepper on Alto Sax. Originally composed by Walter Donaldson & Gus Kahn for the 1928 Broadway musical: Whoopee!

10. “Why Was I Born?” from the collection: The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 3: 1936-37, the 1929 song by Jerome Kern & Oscar Hammerstein II from the 1930 Broadway musical: Sweet Adeline. This 1937 recording includes Teddy Wilson on Piano, Buck Clayton on Trumpet; Lester Young on Tenor Sax; Benny Goodman on Clarinet; Freddie Green on Guitar; Walter Page on String Bass; and Jo Jones on Drums.

11. “I Can't Give You Anything But Love,” written by Jimmy McHugh & Dorothy Fields for the Cotton Club Revue: Blackbirds of 1928, sung by Sachal Vasandani on his CD: Eyes Wide Open, featuring Jeb Patton on Piano; Doug Wamble on Acoustic Guitar, Marcus Printup on Trumpet, David Wong on Bass; and Quincy Davis on Drums.

12. “Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye,” the 1959 version of the song composed by Cole Porter for the 1944 Broadway musical revue: Seven Lively Arts, from the recording: Carmen McRae Sings the Great American Songwriters.

13. “It’s Time to Say ‘Aloha’” composed by Russ Carlyle for the 1938 Broadway musical & 1942 movie: Hellzapoppin, and performed by Blue Barron form the collection: Broadway’s Gone Hawaii.

14. “It's All Right With Me,” the Cole Porter song from the 1953 Broadway musical: Can-Can, from the recently-released CD: Louis Armstrong -- Satchmo at the National Press Club – Red Beans and Ricely Yours, taken from a tribute concert to Armstrong’s memory recorded a year after his 1971 death at the Press Club, featuring his long-time accompanist Tyree Glenn on Vibes.

15. “Bali Ha'i,” the Rodgers & Hammerstein song from the 1949 Broadway musical: South Pacific, recorded by the Chico Hamilton Quintet for the 1958 LP: Chico Hamilton Plays South Pacific In Hi-Fi, featuring Paul Horn on Flute, Fred Katz on Cello, John Pisano on Electric Guitar, Hal Galyor on Bass & Chico Hamilton on Bongos.

Pages: 1 0 replies