Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Django Unchained - Christmas 2012

Pages: 1 14 replies

BB

I'm looking forward to this and check out Leonardo working with what I'd call a "Serious" Coconut mug.

A

I saw the movie the other night and cracked up during this scene. Leonardo's character orders a Polynesian Pearl Diver and is handed that drink. Why is a tiki cocktail being served in Alabama in 1858? Only Quentin's sense of humor knows for sure.

Doug Horne just text-ed me from Phoenix, "Django Rocks!"
no, "how is it going?, what's up?, how was your Christmas?"
just said "Django Rocks!".....guess I will have to see it.

J

Here's my list of QT movies ranked in order of most favorite to least favorite...

1. Jackie Brown
  2. Kill Bill Part 1
  3. Deathproof
  4. Kill Bill Part 2
  5. Reservoir Dogs
  6. Pulp Fiction
  7. Inglorious Basterds
  8. Django Unchained

Django wasn't a bad movie but it wasn't as good as Mandingo. Now that 1970's slavery flick was one loopy movie !!

Polynesian Peal Diver was some type of homage to the 1950's Noir "Blue Gardenia" but I don't get the connection to Django. ???

Edited - because Kill Bill is really 2 movies.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-12-28 23:01 ]

I saw it yesterday. It was Good.
Liked it better than I thought I would.
Tons of N word if that bothers you.
Lots of Morricone music through out the movie.
Would be cool, if there was New western/spaghetti western music composed
for it.

Jeff(btd)

This is a great movie, I will need to see it a few more times in order to inure myself to the language which did negatively impact my enjoyment.

I'd like to see Jamie Foxx in another western, he reminded me of Steve McQueen.

C

Maybe there's a very specific reason for the coconut drink, but I think it was an oddball update reference to the Mint Juleps he probably would have been drinking in reality.

Mint Juleps were one of the original Famous Popular Drinks (like "Pinked Gin") that took the U.S by storm, really similar in every way to the tropical-themed drinks that came much later. A well made Mint Julep is still a hell of a great drink. (Has anybody considered making some great ones for next year's Hillbilly-themed Tiki Oasis?!?!?!)

J

Were coconuts even available in the U.S. during the pre-Civil War era ?? FYI, the dynamite seen in the film was NOT. And how about the sunglasses that Jaimie Foxx wore, did they exist back then ?? Also Sam Jackson's character uses the word "Mutha Fucka" a lot. Was that an 1800's colloquialism ?? And I hate the use of modern pop tunes (i.e. Jim Croce) in period movies.

I like history of any kind and used to have a huge copy of the Encyclopedia of Food.
John F. Mariani in the Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink "tells us that dried coconut meats were known to American cooks at least since 1830 and that in the early part of the twentieth century they were extremely popular."
I doubt they were making fancy drinks in coconuts though.

How about a real Django? It's Django Reinhardt, who despite incredible injuries and two missing fingers on his left hand, became known "The King of Jazz Guitar."

YouTube:Django Reinhardt - King Of Jazz Guitar

Chicago Sun Times:"Django?" Who is this..."Django?"

I just noticed that the drink DeCaprio's holding looks a lot like the one from "Where Danger Lives" with Robert Mitchum and Faith Domergue:

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2012-12-29 14:56 ]

J

Great observation BaliHai. I agree the drinks in WHERE DANGER LIVES (which had no names) looks a lot like the one in DJANGO UNCHAINED as compared to the less descriptive ones in BLUE GARDENIA below. I think QT used both Tiki Bar Noir movies to create his drink. If so it is now a classic scene a a new classic movie. Finally saw it last night. One wonders if my theory is true this means QT digs on Tiki Bar Noir scenes. Maybe a future QT movies has more than a drink but the whole bar?

Burr to Baxter:"You've seen a Polynesian Pearl Diver before?"

On etsy.com someone is selling what they call a "Antique Georgian Brass Mounted Coconut Cup Early 19TH C."
for $165.90.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/108952572/antique-georgian-brass-mounted-coconut?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=coconut+cup&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

S

In a later scene, when they are all at the diner table, Leonardo's character appears to be having a 151 Swizzle by the metal cup and cinnamon stick and straw...

Pages: 1 14 replies