Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Historic Las Vegas Sign - Stolen!

Pages: 1 15 replies

L

First the Frankie's Tiki Room sign and now this. What is the world coming to? I have to say, that sign has looked a bit of an oddity, just sitting in front of a dirt lot all these years since the hotel was demolished.

Yea, it kind of makes you wonder if the thief's are related, and also if the perp is a TC member...

Moxy & stupidity on both sign thefts. Obviously done by a team of idiots with electronic and metal skills. So sad to be this dishonest and really what are you going to do with them...keep them in a basement that only the thieves can come to and view the deceased!!! You certainly couldn't spiff up your personal lounge with these items. Enjoy your paranoia arseholes!!!

You don't just drive up and put a sign like that in the back of your Subaru. That would require some equipment, maybe even a crane?

On 2012-06-09 09:10, VampiressRN wrote:
Moxy & stupidity on both sign thefts. Obviously done by a team of idiots with electronic and metal skills. So sad to be this dishonest and really what are you going to do with them...keep them in a basement that only the thieves can come to and view the deceased!!! You certainly couldn't spiff up your personal lounge with these items. Enjoy your paranoia arseholes!!!

Thanks for setting me straight. I would never in a million years realized that these signs would be so big and so well known that they cannot be enjoyed in a typical tiki lounge. Of course, that leaves only one explanation. The thefts were obviously done by a evil mega-wealthy person who is trying to corner the retro-item black market (aka James Bond villain) A few Las Vegans come to mind - Steve Wynn, Sheldon Addleson and Tony Hsieh. Of the three, I would bet on Tony. I think he was also in Modesto a while back, about the same time some tikis disappeared there.
(I’m enjoying my paranoia a lot!)

On 2012-06-09 10:25, ThreeTikis wrote:

Thanks for setting me straight. I would never in a million years realized that these signs would be so big and so well known that they cannot be enjoyed in a typical tiki lounge. Of course, that leaves only one explanation. The thefts were obviously done by a evil mega-wealthy person who is trying to corner the retro-item black market (aka James Bond villain) A few Las Vegans come to mind - Steve Wynn, Sheldon Addleson and Tony Hsieh. Of the three, I would bet on Tony. I think he was also in Modesto a while back, about the same time some tikis disappeared there.
(I’m enjoying my paranoia a lot!)

my money is on tony hsieh who is buying up vegas real estate left and right to create a desert silicon valley.

Come to think of it...who can I contact for this kind of work...I would like that cute little FLAMINGO sign in my backyard. I am sure my HOA will be supportive and really how much can that add to my PGE bill!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyL9e2uWiAk

NOOOOO! WTF? It's bad enough all the cool vintage stuff is getting imploded & bulldozed in Vegas, but now we have to worry about a thief, too? :evil:

A

Moon over the Glass Pool, from 2004...

-Randy

Well apparently the sign had already been cut down and was just laying around for several days before someone took it. Here is a photo from last month:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefoodtographer/7253121126/in/pool-lvp

That seems a lot more feasible.

The picture on Flickr is captioned, "Come Save Me" - maybe someone thought they were. Look at the picture of it laying there in the parking lot, near another already destroyed sign. It's like a magnet for mindless vandalism. After seeing it for several days, it's just possible that someone thought they were preserving it from peril or the scrapyard, not realizing it was destined for the Neon Museum. If that was the true motivation, I hope they would be allowed to restore it to the museum, without any charges. Maybe I'm being too easy on them, but I can certainly imagine a scenario where some TCer "relocates" a piece of tiki history they think is headed for the salvage yard, or is about to broken up to fit in the dumpster!
:down: "Come Save Me" :down:

On 2012-06-22 11:25, Limbo Lizard wrote:
The picture on Flickr is captioned, "Come Save Me" - maybe someone thought they were. Look at the picture of it laying there in the parking lot, near another already destroyed sign. It's like a magnet for mindless vandalism. After seeing it for several days, it's just possible that someone thought they were preserving it from peril or the scrapyard, not realizing it was destined for the Neon Museum. If that was the true motivation, I hope they would be allowed to restore it to the museum, without any charges. Maybe I'm being too easy on them, but I can certainly imagine a scenario where some TCer "relocates" a piece of tiki history they think is headed for the salvage yard, or is about to broken up to fit in the dumpster!
:down: "Come Save Me" :down:

That's a nice thought. I'd like to believe this too!

Thanks

J

Update...

http://www.lasvegascitylife.com/blog/town/glass-pool-inn-sign-still-missing.html

The sign was vintage. Vintage 1989 apparently !! :D

And did anyone check Mr. Smiley's house ?? He has the space in his backyard for this. (Just kidding).

Pages: 1 15 replies