Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

The Wife or the Rootball?

Pages: 1 20 replies

S

I bought a great 7 ft rootball palm tiki from a local carver awhile back. Its been sitting in my garage while I attempt to pursuade my wife, who hates it, to move it into our house. We are in the midst of a remodel, and I have a corner that is perfect for it (click to see pic below with "placeholder" tiki).

My real question is whether there is a possible compromise position. My wife would be OK with bringing it in, if I chopped off the rootball entirely. Not wanting to do that, is there a way to chop off most of the rootball and still preserve the character of a rootball? A crew cut if you will. Thoughts?

[ Edited by SoBeTiki on 2023-11-25 15:56:46 ]

From what I have seen, rootball tikis are a bit of a rarity - seems a shame to shave him. Maybe you could put it outside or sell it to someone with a more rootball-friendly wife and get a different tiki for that corner?

So you have not learned the great lesson of marriage yet?
Do as your wife requests or you will pay, believe me ....you will pay!

M

Dude...I feel ya.

Ok ...so sell the Rooty.

Now for the revenge part.......carve your own replacement! Hey it may take 50 of em before you can really commit floor space inside for one.

Just my pennies

Hang in there brother

Mahalo

McTiki

P

does the house belong to both of you or just her?

On 2012-06-14 19:37, pjc5150 wrote:
does the house belong to both of you or just her?

:lol: What part of "wife" did you not understand? :lol:

After 29 years of marriage I can tell you ATP has it right :D

C
cy posted on Thu, Jun 14, 2012 8:00 PM

Cut the rootball and be cursed for life. Sell the tiki and keep the wife.

C

Just my 2cents, by cutting the rootball you would please your wife but what about the artist?! I know he's not living with you but.....anyway good luck....and I understand the word wife but somewhere you 2 must have accepted to make compromise....maybe that's the word she did not completely understand :wink:

Be Water
Christophe

[ Edited by: Cljha 2012-06-14 22:48 ]

On 2012-06-14 22:46, Cljha wrote:
Just my 2cents, by cutting the rootball you would please your wife but what about the artist?! I know he's not living with you but.....anyway good luck....and I understand the word wife but somewhere you 2 must have accepted to make compromise....maybe that's the word she did not completely understand :wink:

Be Water
Christophe

[ Edited by: Cljha 2012-06-14 22:48 ]

Do you live with the artist...........no.........so.......get it! got it! Gone Daddy-O
MDM :lol: and a :drink:

P

so, let me get this straight..when you're married you get to buy and pay for a house, have no say as to what goes in the house, and you're basically a subordinate in your own home, where you have to ASK PERMISSION for what you want, yet you're too afraid of your wives to even do that?

Wow....

And dude, seriously? You can't just bring your tiki in and say "this is my corner and I'm putting my tiki here...just the way it is...I don't recall you asking my permission to bring all of this other shit in here, so I shouldn't have to ask for yours", because if that is the case, you should just start referring to the house as "my wife's house" and tell her to cover the mortgage.

I truly feel sorry for some of you guys that your wives have so little regard for what makes YOU happy that you can't even have any of YOUR stuff in HER house (that, incidentally, YOU pay for). That doesn't sound like love, it sounds like you've been conned into a life of servitude...

Happy wife, happy life.

That is all.

First off...don't chop the rootball...that is just crazy town!!!

Might I suggest you have a discussion to go over home decor compromises as there can be many options, so here are a few suggestions:
~share the wealth and assign rooms that each of you can decorate
~share parts of rooms that you can add your decoration to
~share decorating contributions...something you like & something she likes
~share a cocktail with your wife from your newly converted Tiki Lounge/Garage
~share your rootball with me, I want one for my entryway
Bottom line...SHARE.

I wish you luck, I actually have a wish order in with one of my friends to carve a rootball for me next year...I think they are awesome.

In the words of Benjamin Franklin*
"If'n the mamma ain't happy, ain't NO ONE happy!" :lol:

*not true, but I have found that if you attribute something to ol' Ben people are more likely to accept it at face value :D

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" Friedrich Nietzsche

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-06-15 10:20 ]

On 2012-06-15 09:46, finkdaddy wrote:
Happy wife, happy life.

That is all.

that's what I was gonna say! :D

Is this the tiki?

I remember when I dropped it off there was a little tension. SoBe has a beautiful place in Miami Beach - but there is not much space. I thought you were considering putting that in the back yard? Its a bummer to here that he's been stuck in the garage but I also understand the importance of keeping a happy household (He must be very light by now). Contact me - maybe we can arrange a trade for something more appropriate. OR you can cut the rootball off - it doesn't bother me. As long as he's being enjoyed!

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2012-06-15 11:45 ]

Now that would look great outside with a couple of Tiki torches lighting him up
(But not to close) and you will still be married to!

Plant that monster right in the middle of the kitchen

M

On 2012-06-15 14:07, hang10tiki wrote:
Plant that monster right in the middle of the kitchen

HA!

McTiki

S

On 2012-06-15 11:27, AlohaStation wrote:
Is this the tiki?

I remember when I dropped it off there was a little tension. SoBe has a beautiful place in Miami Beach - but there is not much space. I thought you were considering putting that in the back yard? Its a bummer to here that he's been stuck in the garage but I also understand the importance of keeping a happy household (He must be very light by now). Contact me - maybe we can arrange a trade for something more appropriate. OR you can cut the rootball off - it doesn't bother me. As long as he's being enjoyed!

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2012-06-15 11:45 ]

Hey Aloha! Yes that's the one. Sadly, your awesome Tiki has been languishing in my garage since you delivered it.

If there is one thing that I have learned after several years of marriage, it's that I need to at least maintain the illusion of compromise, while tilting in favor of the wife. Since she is allowing some of my mug collection and tiki art in our living room, I am backing off on moving the rootball in. Looks like I will be finding a home for it in my tiny patch of backyard space after all.

Never expected this post to become a referendum on marriage and who has the biggest cajones, but funny nonetheless.

S

[ Edited by: SoBeTiki 2012-06-18 14:36 ]

Epilogue: After many years in the garage, the awesome carving from AlohaStation is in a proper home tiki room. Unfortunately, but with the carver's prior permission, the rootball was severed with a chainsaw. Converted him to a Beachcomber with bangs. Happy wife, happy life.Image

Pages: 1 20 replies