Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

cocktail blog lowbrow literati

Pages: 1 14 replies

HI TC,

One of our own, Heylownine, created a delicious cocktail he christened, "Black River Punch," which is a variation on Planters Punch. Please show your support and read his blog.

http://www.lowbrowliterati.com/Lowbrow_Literati/Lowbrow_Literati/Entries/2012/6/18_Black_River_Punch.html

It would be fun if you could make it, try it, and share your tasting notes and pictures with us. We would love to post them on our blog. The comment button is still under construction, because our site is still in the beta stage, so please send all comments and pictures to:

[email protected]

I hope to hear from you guys.

Hi TC,

This happens to all of us. You have bottles of booze with very little booze left in them, but you don't want to throw them away. So what do you do? Read Paranoid123's blog series, "Around the World in 10 Bottles". Today's installment is the Navy Grog.

http://www.lowbrowliterati.com/Lowbrow_Literati/Lowbrow_Literati/Entries/2012/6/21_Around_the_World_in_10_Bottles.html

Even "Tricky" Dick Nixon loved the Navy Grog

What do you do with a hollowed out pineapple? Make a BOO LOO!

http://lowbrowliterati.com/Lowbrow_Literati/Lowbrow_Literati/Entries/2012/7/23_Boo_Loo.html

Q

Mmmmm... That looks tasty!

Cheers!

I will definitely give it a whirl. I've been drinking black tea/lemon/rum/bitters combos all summer long. The addition of the falernum and pimento dram sounds good. Thanks!

Hi Q-Tiki and Jingle,

Once you make it, take pictures and send me your tasting notes. I'll add it to the blog.

On 2012-07-25 20:16, The Monitors wrote:
Hi Q-Tiki and Jingle,

Once you make it, take pictures and send me your tasting notes. I'll add it to the blog.

Well, I made a small batch last night in a hurry. So, unfortunately, I do not have pics or any worthwhile tasting notes. Coincidentally, I have been making black or green tea punches all summer long. My recipe is also based on the old 1:2:3:4 ratio. I've been using a simple syrup that is part white/part turbinado and rum has been all over the place from Appleton v/x to Mount Gay 100 (mid shelf stuff). I've been adding a load of bitters and also peach brandy. Essentially, it tastes like peach sweet tea with a kick; very refreshing. In general, the usage of pimento dram and falernum add a spicy complexity that the bitters does not deliver. I like it! A punch bowl full of your recipe with a block of ice and sliced lemons would be a summer BBQ hit. Maybe grated nutmeg???

More blathering later.

On 2012-07-26 12:06, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
Well, I made a small batch last night in a hurry. So, unfortunately, I do not have pics or any worthwhile tasting notes. Coincidentally, I have been making black or green tea punches all summer long. My recipe is also based on the old 1:2:3:4 ratio. I've been using a simple syrup that is part white/part turbinado and rum has been all over the place from Appleton v/x to Mount Gay 100 (mid shelf stuff). I've been adding a load of bitters and also peach brandy. Essentially, it tastes like peach sweet tea with a kick; very refreshing. In general, the usage of pimento dram and falernum add a spicy complexity that the bitters does not deliver. I like it! A punch bowl full of your recipe with a block of ice and sliced lemons would be a summer BBQ hit. Maybe grated nutmeg???

More blathering later.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly how (as a punch) I served it on the Tiki Caliente 4 room crawl. Dusted with freshly grated nutmeg as well. :)

kevin

Mother Mary of God!!! How big is that fish/punch bowl? I need a 5-6 gallon one to make some TV Tahitian Rum Punch.

It's about 3.5 gallons. I made about 3 gallons for Tiki Caliente and it almost reached the top when the block of ice was added.

Kevin

Made approx 1 gallon yesterday per the recipe. I added a sliced nectarine with a sliced lemon to the batch and let it sit in the fridge for 3 hours. I recommend it highly and thank you very much for the inspiration!!!

On 2012-07-30 08:21, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
Made approx 1 gallon yesterday per the recipe. I added a sliced nectarine with a sliced lemon to the batch and let it sit in the fridge for 3 hours. I recommend it highly and thank you very much for the inspiration!!!

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it. I'll give the nectarine a try in a future batch.

Kevin

New Cocktail blog from HeyLowNine

NEVER SAY DIE

http://tinyurl.com/9tgc3g4

Very nice, I will try that soon, probably side-by-side with the Bum's version for a fun comparison. (Initially I tend to be a purist for history's sake.) I used this blog a few weeks ago to make the Boo Loo for the first time -- hollowed-out pineapple and all -- with Tiki-Teresa. It gave me a reason to buy a new bar tool, a really cool set of various-sized pineapple corers from VacuVin. Worked like a dream, and she loved it!

On 2012-09-11 10:01, AceExplorer wrote:
Very nice, I will try that soon, probably side-by-side with the Bum's version for a fun comparison. (Initially I tend to be a purist for history's sake.) I used this blog a few weeks ago to make the Boo Loo for the first time -- hollowed-out pineapple and all -- with Tiki-Teresa. It gave me a reason to buy a new bar tool, a really cool set of various-sized pineapple corers from VacuVin. Worked like a dream, and she loved it!

Awesome, I love my VacuVin, despite being an Alton Brown "no unitasker" disciple.

I'm the same way when it comes to classic recipes: I make the cocktail to the original recipe first. If I like it as-is, great. If I want to tweak it I then have a baseline to compare it to.

Okole Maluna!

kevin

Pages: 1 14 replies