Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What is the name of these Tiki's?

Pages: 1 20 replies

Aloha, I'm building an online gallery of TIki's except I've just come across some carvings that I'm not familiar with. Perhaps someone here can help identify them.

Looks like something from the solomon islands.

(The "bungee" platforms behind it)

On 2012-06-26 12:57, lucas vigor wrote:
Looks like something from the solomon islands.

(The "bungee" platforms behind it)

It's a traditional Hawaiian Tiki, I personally know the person who carved it. Those are Hawaiian Hea'au's not "bungee" platforms. I'm just trying to figure out the specific name of this type of Tiki.

If you know the person who carved it, Why don't you ask them?

Oh and it looks like a a grouping of Happiness,Prosperity,Love etc.
masks/Tikis

On 2012-06-26 15:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
If you know the person who carved it, Why don't you ask them?

Because the person that carved it is one of the dumbest people in the world and doesn't know much about his carvings, besides the fact that he's following traditional applications and style. I've determined this is an original carving based on an Aumakua style. I derived Aumakua Nui Maka, helehelena as a traditional name for this Tiki (Protector with many faces)

TM

I think you should find some kama'aina to help.
Aumakua

Edit: The main face looks to be lono'esque. Also, do you mean to say that the lava structure is a heiau? The tall structures could've been built to view the heiau from above.

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-06-27 08:25 ]

Where is that Hea'au' located?

Google Maps?

Is this from the same bunch of tikis in Hawaii currently for sale on Bonanza?

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2012-06-27 14:29 ]

Holy ki'i!! $22,000?

Hey Hemp Paper, What's with all the subterfuge?

You posted in the carving thread "Your" collection?
But you have not collected, Carved or had anything to do with them,
With one exception, Your selling them.

We have a thread called "Tiki Market place" to post sale items
instead of pretending your a collector or carver, Just interested in some info?
You should have just posted there.

You have been disingenuous towards our Tiki community!

I stand corrected, it was the gallery thread.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-06-27 18:48 ]

On 2012-06-27 11:16, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hey Hemp Paper, What's with all the subterfuge?

You posted in the carving thread "Your" collection?
But you have not collected, Carved or had anything to do with them,
With one exception, Your selling them.

Actually he posted his collection in the Tiki Gallery forum but I just moved it to the Tiki Marketplace forum.

The carver, and the collector is my uncle, the reason they are priced is because, yes they are for sale. However I am set to inherit this collection when he passes away, and rest assured it will not be for sale once I own it, I love culture, every culture I've known so far has been amazing. These carvings will some day be a part of history and that's why they are priced so high. And because I don't really want them to sell.

That sounds good. The fact is, names of Hawaiian deities are hard to assign for sure. Here is a visual guide, but it might be outdated/ relative. Selfmade American versions are often combinations of these:

Allow me to address one pet peeve I have: The plural of Tiki is NOT Tiki's, it is Tikis. Tiki's would be the possessive form. I have no idea where this form of misspelling originated, but I flinch each time I see it.

Sven, you're right about "tiki's" vs "tikis." We are losing the ability to write in our own language.

J

I always spell "Tiki" with a capital "T". Just like capital "G" in "God".

Show some respect for Tiki !! :)

On 2012-06-27 13:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
Allow me to address one pet peeve I have: The plural of Tiki is NOT Tiki's, it is Tikis. Tiki's would be the possessive form. I have no idea where this form of misspelling originated, but I flinch each time I see it.

Thanks bro! I've been hoping someone with enough cred would point that out since my jimmies get rustled every time I see it, too.

Aloha,

"This is a collection of large Tiki carvings that we have for sale at the Ka'u Outpost in Ocean View Hawaii"

hmmm....

hmmm...

I just don't know about this... something... reminds me of clown doctors.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-06-27 22:16 ]

(Sorry for derailing this thread a bit further, but the better link about this great collection of Tikis is in Marketplace)

Re John-O's point: My reason for always spelling the "Tiki" with a capital "T" is that it not only looks better than the (grammatically more accepted) "tikis", but that the term is derived from the NAME of the demi-god Tiki, and that all carvings are basically depictions of his man-god concept.

On 2012-06-27 22:09, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

"This is a collection of large Tiki carvings that we have for sale at the Ka'u Outpost in Ocean View Hawaii"

hmmm....

hmmm...

I just don't know about this... something... reminds me of clown doctors.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-06-27 22:16 ]

Not entirely sure what you mean by this, however if you're wondering why I'm uploading all these new images is because I'm working on a website project / trying to sell some of these Tiki's to pay for the Gallery. My uncle (Danny Freeman) is the owner of the Ka'u Outpost and is the main carver.

Also curious what that "clown doctors term means"

And as far as my grammar goes, I'm a 17 year old high-school drop out raised on the Hawaii public school system so I think my grammar is just fine, but I will keep that correction in-particular in mind because it will help with maintaining a professional appearance.

Pages: 1 20 replies