Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

anybody tried Blackwell dark rum yet?

Pages: 1 15 replies

had a sample neat- was very tasty; made by J.Wray and Nephew, reminded me of Appleton Estate Reserve...

anybody know how long it's aged?

I've never seen it on the shelves at the liquor stores in my area - only the W&N white overproof.

Blackwell Rum is made by the grandson of the man who bought J Wray & Nephew in the early 1900's, Chris Blackwell.

Go here for the story: blackwellrum.com

Going to see if I can get my local liquor store get some for me to try.

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ Edited by: gentlehangman 2012-07-02 13:50 ]

[ Edited by: gentlehangman 2012-07-02 15:44 ]

P

The LCBO has it and I was tempted to try it but based on what I've been hearing from others who've tried it I decided to pass. I'm trying to cut down on the booze collecting and only buy things that fill gaps in my cabinet and that one just sounds like it would sit next to a few other Jamaican rums that are different but pretty much interchangeable. If I hear anything that tells me that it's something special, I may reconsider.

bought a bottle tonite as I was out of jamaican dark and my TotalWine was out of Appleton reserved.

blah- it tastes like a watered down jamaican rum.

not sure how this has turned out so different from what i sampled last year...

A

I think Blackwells is alright. Try it in a Hurricane or a Coconaut :)

On 2013-12-05 14:56, AdOrAdam wrote:

How does it compare to Coruba now that you have finally been able to snag a bottle?

On 2013-12-05 14:56, AdOrAdam wrote:

it was lousy in a hurricane. but, made a nice DarkNstormy (upped the rum, obviously).

A

I'm always up for a taste off :)

1. Coruba Vs Blackwells in a Coconaut

IMO Coruba is the marginal winner, it has a slightly more 'something'. I'd be happy with either, both are good :)

1. Blackwells Vs Appleton 8 Vs Myers in a Hurricane

IMO Appleton 8 or Blackwells are the marginal winners (one or the other) - different emphasis is given to the flavours in each. Myers doesn't make a bad Hurricane, it's just not as good as the other two. I'd be happy with any of them :)

IMO, the thing is... Coconaut & Hurricane are both drinks I really pull out when I've got guests i.e. someone says 'can you make a Pina Colada?' (so I have a Coconaut while the Coco Lopez is open) or someone says 'can I have a drink in one of those glasses?'.

When Im aiming to make a good drink but don't need to go all out with the top shelf rums, these drinks just 'work'. In this situation Blackwells is alright.

Anyway, Im not hoping to argue with or change Mr thePorpoise's mind, Im just presenting a different opinion... glad you enjoyed it in a Dark & Stormy, I've not tried it that way... yet :)

I've tried two bottles and I was unimpressed because I guess I was expecting too much? Even Myers is more full-flavored. Being bottled by J. Wray & Nephew I was expecting a more full-bodied bouquet and flavor both of witch I found wanting. The finish I can't even describe . . .there was nothing to catch my taste buds.

I bought a bottle from the LCBO simply because I was curious. I read about it on their website. It was...meh...okaaay...I guess. Not the worst, but not very impressive.

J
JFL posted on Fri, Dec 20, 2013 7:46 PM

As we've seen it's a matter of personal taste but I really enjoy Blackwell Especially in Spievak and Aku Aku Zombies. I prefer it over Myers but not quite as much as Appleton 12 year if that helps. Plus it has a balanced price point. Personally I really enjoyed it's flavor. It didn't have quite the funk I expected from a jamaican but it had nice molasses,char flavor with subtle oak that lends a spiciness. It gets really mixed reviews from alot of reviewers. It's very much a love or hate rum I've noticed.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: I will say last time I really gave it a good taste was about a year ago. I'm not sure if they changed the recipe since then, so many people here seem to find it watered down.

[ Edited by: JFL 2013-12-20 19:51 ]

My local has a few bottles of this on special for $18 and change, down from $26 and change. Picked up a bottle, looking forward to trying it.

They have on Netflix "Parts Unknown" with Anthony Bourdain (sp?). Season 4 episode 8 is on Jamaica with a section on Chris Blackwell. Blackwell started Island Records and introduced the world to Bob Marley. He also owns the old Ian Fleming estate "Goldeneye".

howlinowl

Anyone have any new thoughts on the Blackwell? It's in my local and my choice here in England is fairly limited for black blended rums that aren't "Navy style" - basically there's Goslings and Myers's.

I'm a big fan of Blackwell, but I wouldn't use it as a replacement for Coruba or Myers. It has a very different character than those--it's typically sweet, but mixes a little brighter and drier that you'd expect from a Jamaican rum. Think of it as another tool in your belt.

It's not great in a Mai Tai, but it's fantastic in a Montego Bay.

It also serves as a terrific substitute for Gold Puerto Rican rum in the 1934 Zombie. The reason: the original 1934 Zombie called for Ron Rico red label rum, which was a darker, more flavorful Puerto Rican Rum than the ones available today. The character of Blackwell is probably closer to those vintage dark Puerto Rican rums than just about anything else available now.

On 2017-09-26 08:14, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
I'm a big fan of Blackwell, but I wouldn't use it as a replacement for Coruba or Myers. It has a very different character than those--it's typically sweet, but mixes a little brighter and drier that you'd expect from a Jamaican rum. Think of it as another tool in your belt.

It's not great in a Mai Tai, but it's fantastic in a Montego Bay.

It also serves as a terrific substitute for Gold Puerto Rican rum in the 1934 Zombie. The reason: the original 1934 Zombie called for Ron Rico red label rum, which was a darker, more flavorful Puerto Rican Rum than the ones available today. The character of Blackwell is probably closer to those vintage dark Puerto Rican rums than just about anything else available now.

Mahalo Quince. That's really helpful. The 1934 Zombie is the one I prefer, and the Blackwell to be honest is not a lot to pay to experiment with, so I'll give it a try. It's useful to have someone confirm that it's definitely not a standard dark Jamaican base substitute.

I generally use Havana 7 as the "gold" rum in the Zombie (but we're fortunate as we can get it in the supermarket..)

Just got a bottle of Blackwell yesterday - it makes an excellent Jungle Bird. I dialed the Campari back to 0.5 oz from 0.75 oz and it was the best Jungle Bird that I've had at home.

Pages: 1 15 replies