Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hand painted tiki t-shirt

Pages: 1 21 replies

C

This is my rendition of a matchbook cover of the "Islander" restaurant in Los Angeles (a BIG "thank you" to tiki kate's collection on Critiki). It was all painted by hand, whew! but what enjoyable therapy! I would appreciate all honest "critiques" and advice on improvements. Mahalo all!

Clintiki

I have O.T.D: Obsessive.Tiki.Disorder!

Looks good Cliktiki. One of a kind! What paint did you use and will it survive the washing machine?

C

Thanks Mad Dog. It was a paint just made for fabrics. I made a sample tiki on another shirt and put it through the "wash" & "dry" test and it came out just fine! I had to buy some special brushes though and there was a learning curve, but I used to love art in High School and always wanted to be a commercial artist, but hey-- I guess we can all dream right? Tiki has definitely became my "thing" and if I start to sell some later, I really need to figure out how to make it quicker and better. (hire some tiki elves maybe??) lol..

Your shirt looks terrific. I've been told that the painting will last longer if you always wash the shirt turned inside out. Wendy

C

Mahalo Wendy for your advice on the shirt. I will definitely do that when I wash them from now on. I was able to talk to a guy that used these paints on shirts and he said his has still lasted for over 12 years! I just purchased several more colors today and I'm stoked about doing some more renditions of vintage art and mix in some of my own too. I am very honored to have you and Mad Dog post on my thread. It means alot to a newbie like myself. Aloha all!..

Clintiki

I have O.T.D: Obsessive.Tiki.Disorder! :wink:

Very cool Clintiki! I dig it. In addition to Wendy's sage advice, I am not sure what kind of paint you used but in general on the first wash it is best to put in a capful of white vinegar. This helps the longevity of airbrushed shirts, and silk screen shirts, but don't ask me why exactly and it may or may not apply to your type of paint, but I am sure it couldn't hurt.

I'll look forwards to seeing more. :)

C

I feel like the guys on wayne's world: "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!". lol. I am very thankful for your compliment and feel humbled by it. I will be crankin' out more here this week and I'll post them for you all. I looked at your website. Very impressive! You inspire me bro!

MAHALO ALL!

Clintiki

I have O.T.D: Obsessive.Tiki.Disorder!...:)

Looking good! Another craft I'd like to try. I've tried my hand at screening paint on shirts (gotta do some tiki one day) but am not too steady freehand.

I was going to say that some paints can be heat set with a home iron but if that guy has ones that have lasted 12 years I'd say he's the expert, not me.

Have fun. :)

C

Mahalo Lori. I appreciate the compliment and the advice. I too have heard that ironing it will help set the "paint" in better. I'm gonna do it for double good measure! Here's a new hand painted tiki t shirt I just finished. It's the front menu of Luau 400 that was located in New York City. Also a little tiki guy I painted just for fun. Enjoy & may the Tiki Gods bless you all!.. :)

Clintiki

I have O.T.D: Obsessive.Tiki.Disorder!..:)

[ Edited by: clintiki 2012-07-06 17:46 ]

Both great, you're going to have quite a tiki wardrobe soon!

C

Mahalo again Mike. I'm having lots of fun doing this! Just listen to some exotica (quiet village, one of my faves!) and start brushin' down the paint! Ahhh, TiKi LiFe!

Another success. That's one of my favorite mugs and it makes a terrific shirt. Have you connected with other TC'ers in your area? It's fun to hang out with people who like the same things. We have a great group here in Sacramento. In southern California, well that can't be beat for tiki people. Wendy

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Jul 6, 2012 10:15 AM

clintiki - These examples so far are looking great. Knowing they're hand-painted makes them special. Keep up the fabric/medium experimentation and don't worry too much about the longevity aspect, nothing lasts forever, y'know? If you want long lasting, make them outta concrete - ooh I see you do work in concrete - please post some of your examples!!!

Those look great...what a fun way to indulge your artistry skills, by wearing your Tiki.

C

Again, MAHALO to all for your encouraging words. You are all so very kind-- it truly keeps me delving deeper into my creativity! I just went to a specialty shop for what I'm doing and got all the knowledge needed to make those shirts last quite a while. I will be making and posting more here soon. I'm a transplant here in Evansville, Indiana (a medium-sized post industrial town) with no network or tiki "buddies" to hang with Wendy. But, I hope to go to the Tiki Kon in Portland, Oregon this year to meet up with fellow tiki lovers and finally indulge myself in some badly needed "R&R". Yes, TikiG, I do concrete work too! I've got a 3 ft. tall tiki I'm building on my backyard patio right now. I will post pics as soon as it's done. Actually, I do decorative concrete overlay as my full time business. I make ugly pooldecks, driveways, and even kitchen/bathroom countertops look like stone. I enjoy it and at least it pays the bills! I really hope to get more and more into tiki art and make some long lasting friendships here on the boards. Aloha for now all!

Clintiki

Clintiki,
I'm not anybody 'famous' but I really like & admire your art. The possibilities are amazing!
~kele

C

@ ~Kele--

Much mahalo for your post. I feel a good warm vibe from all of the posts here. YOU and your words of admiration, advice, and even critiques are very important to me! I really am starting to feel "at home" here nowadays on TC. It doesn't matter if you're not famous, YOU are a unique intelligence in the universe and that's more important. I just love what I do and just try to do my best.

Aloha...
Clintiki

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

• Emile Zola (1840-1902)

C

Here's my rendition of the "Tahitian" that was in Pasadena, CA. Another hand painted tiki t shirt from a matchbook cover. This one was very challenging! But worth every minute of it... Mahalo all!

Clintiki

Hand painted? That almost looks silk screened. Very nicely done. Don't forget to post that concrete tiki and the steps of you working on it. :) Looking forwards to seeing that.
I am hoping to go to Tiki Kon this year too, but will have to see how the finances are, it's not terribly far away so that's a plus. :)

C

mahalo tiger! yes, it was hand painted (what a chore of love!) i will be going to the FONG fest and i'm stoked! I will have another shirt posted here in the next few days. I will keep all posted!

Clintiki

C

BTW tiger, I will take some pix too of the concretiki I'm making.

Clintiki

Aloha all!

It's been a while since I posted here, so-- I would like to say why: I have been trying to earn money to get my beloved wife & 5 yr. old son back from the Philippines. She's been very sick and the Dr's. bills have been steep, but she's hanging in there. I just wanna get her home so she can get some rest and healing. I'm trying to raise $1,800 for tickets and I would like to say that if there is anyone here who would like a custom made hand painted tiki t-shirt, or a concrete tiki, to please PM me here and I will be more than happy to check out whatever design you would like and go from there. I will accept any amount of payment that you would like to give. I don't want any hand outs, just an opportunity to get my family back a.s.a.p. To all of my Ohana here, MAHALO!

Clintiki

Pages: 1 21 replies