Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Bloody's Art corner...Lamp, Screen Prints, now working on a mug for my bar

Pages: 1 19 replies

Just thought I'd show off my Swag Lamp I made from tutorials I found on the forums and a little of my own ingenuity. I used bamboo and dried palm leaves from my garden. I have it hooked up in my Hut by remote control.

[ Edited by: Bloody Good 2012-07-21 18:28 ]

[ Edited by: Bloody Good 2012-08-20 12:32 ]

Welcome to Tiki Central and nice job on the lamp. Good idea on the remote control.

C

Sweet swag man. I gotta try my hand at this! What kind of fabric did you use for your tapa design?

Kool

Very nice. There are so many art forms for tiki its just so much fun to see what's up on this thread. Thanks for joining in, Wendy

Thank you so much for the nice comments and warm welcome. I love projects like this, it was a heap of fun. The fabric I ordered was from amazon, I think I just typed in Island prints or Island fabrics. There is a thread if you search for it that shows using modge podge on it after it's attached to the frame.
A tip to anybody else making a lamp...go to Lowes and in the fan/lighting dept they have a swag lamp kit that comes with 12ft cord and chain for $12. I bought the socket and cord I used from Ikea which was only $5 but then I bought the decorative chain separate and the chain was almost $16 by itself...I didn't learn about the Lowes kit until afterwards.

I do other art as well, I own a screen printing business here in Portland and I just did a 6 color tiki screen print, that I'll be posting soon. I'll be selling shirts of it in my Etsy shop at some point soon too.

BT

Swag-arific!

Very nice light & thanks for the Lowes tip - I still miss Portland

Bloody great lamp! Those windmill fan palm leaves worked out well as a "thatched roof". That tapa style fabric is made by Alen's Fabrics, you can find it on their website http://www.islandshawaiianfabric.com - on sale for $6 a yard right now :) They have several cool prints including the same pattern in blue.
http://islandshawaiianfabric.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=139&page=2

sorry my holy crap posted twice

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2012-07-07 16:40 ]

Holy Crap! ( thats my most used expresion for amazement) That looks AWESOME. Now I want to try.

M
Murph posted on Sat, Jul 7, 2012 10:23 PM

Nice job, that is a great lamp.

Add my admiration to the group's! Fantastic job on the lamp. The creativity of people on TC continues to astound me. job well done. :)

Thank you for all the kind comments! I sat out under the lamp light last night watching the koi in my pond drinking a old recipe mai tai. You can't get a better way to wind down!

W

On 2012-07-16 07:54, Bloody Good wrote:
I sat out under the lamp light last night watching the koi in my pond drinking a old recipe mai tai. You can't get a better way to wind down!

100% agree! Great lamp!

Chris
westadad.tumblr.com

I did this for the Elroy Art Gallery show coming up Aug 2nd here in Portland. It is called "Polynesian Pop-sicle" It is a mix of a 6 color screen print, and hand painted acrylic on black velvet.

This is a screen print I did that was inspired by last years Elroy Art show.

I also did it on t-shirts that will be up for sale shortly on my Etsy store.

Great play on words and well executed :lol: I can see that that orange cremesicle makes your Tiki very hapi!
I'd wear that scooter shirt, be sure to let us know when they are avalable.

Thanks Mad Dog, will do! :)

Love the orange cremesicle print. Now you just need a Bomb Pop variation.

Thanks Beezle, good idea, Bomb Pops are the Bomb!!! :)

I started work on a mug for my home bar. My first try at mug making, and I found a place downtown that will fire it for $8!! Next I need to look into mold making...

Pages: 1 19 replies