Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Dark Tiki Studios

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hello! I am a Composer/Sound Designer, and I currently work full-time from home. Due to space restrictions, my recording studio has to double as my bedroom. To complicate things further, I decided I had to go "tiki" with the space... So I'm creating a tiki recording studio/bedroom(/bar??)! I'm co-owner of new multimedia studio called "Dark Tiki Studios", and this will also serve as the HQ. So I'm chronicling the physical creation of Dark Tiki Studios.

The room is small, and has closets galore. Too many closets, in fact. They eat up two whole walls, meaning all my equipment and furniture must go against the two remaining walls, if I hope to access the closets.

You can see three of the four closets in the shot below...

Here I've painted one of 8 sliding closet doors, and have started on the wall primer:

More Progress on the closet doors and priming the walls:

In this picture you can see the long beam that goes down the center of the ceiling. Unfortunately, it is irregularly shaped at one end, where it extends out into a box. For some reason, I seem to have nicknamed it "The Blight". I decided to paint it the same accent color (dark blue) as the closet doors. The rest of the walls will be a lighter blue (still just primer in this photo). I'm not sure yet what else I might do with The Blight. I was toying with the idea of adding cargo netting...

Instead of trim/moulding where the walls meet the ceiling, I decided to use BacBac braid (flat). It is very inexpensive, and easy to hang (staple gun worked well). You can see the walls have their final shade of blue.

More BacBac Braid, and the lovely smoke detector mount, or "Mini Blight" as I call it. :wink:

You are off and running
Have fun and post alot of pics

S

i'd open up the closets to the room and use them for extra floor space...put a bar in one and stand alone equipment that isn't getting moved in another....

I was just thinking the same thing. Nix the closet doors at least on one closet and make that your back bar. Keep up the great work. We have seen smaller spaces Tikified, so you can do it!!!

Excellent idea to lose a closet, but I actually need all that storage. I think I'm going to try to fill one closet with things I don't use often, and then try to make it appear to be a headboard of some kind.

Pages: 1 6 replies