Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Virani's Tiki Hut (or some other name not yet found)

Pages: 1 28 replies

V

So, we moved from Paris to the city of Clermont-Ferrand, in the middle of the volcanic area called the Massif Central, in Auvergne. A region also known for it's gastromy such as their cheeses (St Nectaire, bleu d'Auvergne, Cantal...), wine (Côte d'Auvergne), liquor (Gentiane), beef, well good food....
Here's a picture of my neighborhood (15 minutes from the city) :

We're in an appartment, on an early 20th century building.

And so, I needed a new home bar. We decided to use a spare bedroom (10m²) as the new tiki room.

I asked my friend TikiJaws ( http://www.tikijaws.com/ ) to help me on this, knowing how good he worked on the Tiki Lounge, the famous tiki bar of Paris.
He did most of the work, understood my needs and my budget, and in 5 days only, we built it.
I have to thank also the Tiki Lounge staff, who gave me some spare black bamboos for the decoration, as it's very expensive to get bamboo here, I don't know why...

V

On the first day, we (Joachim, mostly) worked on the roof. We wanted a fake roof, to make it look like a hut...

First, the structure :

Then, we put the matting that we tainted (tek color) and varnished.

V

then, it was time to fix matting on the walls

V

and black painting on the walls under the matting.

V

and black bamboo for masking the imperfections, and doing some nice finitions

and we tried to put bamboo on the black painted area,

but I decided it was better without it, more classy and in the spirits I wanted for the bar, so we took it off.

Beautiful countryside Virani (I never really thought about volcanos in France but I know Italy has some) Looks like your room is progressing, TikiJaws has some great stuff on his website too.

V

then, Joachim (tikijaws) did some carving and burning for some very cool finition between the black walls and the matting area.

[ Edited by: virani 2012-07-20 09:11 ]

V

and finally, decoration !

(I'm still in the middle of it, there's a lot to display)

A marquesian flag on the window !!

V

better pictures of the bar soon... It's hard to do great pictures of such a small place with so much to photograph.

Looks AWESOME Virani. Congratulations!!!!

Now I need to come out there for a drink and a jam session!!! :)

Cheers and mahalo,
Jeff

Congratulation on your new digs Virani. Wow...you all sure accomplished a lot in 5 days. It looks great!

WOW! Very nice!

Chris
WestADad

B

WOW :o :o :o
Looks perfect dude !
Hope to see it with my own eyes befroe the end of the year !

B.

looks awesome! Did you put the matting directly on the walls?

Very nice room! I like the countryside too.

Very nice. I can see all the hard work you put into making the room special, Wendy

V

On 2012-07-20 14:56, turbosickboy wrote:
looks awesome! Did you put the matting directly on the walls?

Yes. we used glue and stapples too.

I was there! :)

Really the essence of a home Tiki bar, of a self-made "paradise transported": A tropical hideaway in a "straight" midcentury apartment building in a Paris suburb.

REALLY like the "inside hut" ceiling, simple but so defining.

Looks great. :D

V

As I love the bamboo bar I had, but thought it was too small, Joachim suggested we build shelves that makes the bar bigger. It was an awesome idea.

And to cover the white on the chimney, we just taped some matting, and with a red light inside, it looks great at night.

looking very nice.

well done.

V

Thanks Derek ! Your TV frame is in good position on the main wall !

First Mai Tai of the bar, before I added the mugs on shelves, with tikijaws

[ Edited by: virani 2012-07-21 11:23 ]

amazing!!! :D

How hard was it, To get all the materials you needed for your build in France?

V

Pretty hard. there's only one guy that distribute matting from thailand in Paris. Bamboo is re distributed, but very expensive, so we used more wood...

T

On 2012-07-20 09:20, virani wrote:
better pictures of the bar soon... It's hard to do great pictures of such a small place with so much to photograph.

Looking great, Virani. It was a lot of fun looking at your photos, too.

-Jack

[ Edited by: tabuzak 2012-07-22 08:31 ]

T

Incredible transformation, Virani! I'll bet that first Mai Tai in the bar with Tikijaws was memorable.

And, wow, that scenery is gorgeous... hope those volcano cones are of the extinct variety!

-Tom

V

On 2012-07-21 07:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
I was there! :)

Really the essence of a home Tiki bar, of a self-made "paradise transported": A tropical hideaway in a "straight" midcentury apartment building in a Paris suburb.

Sven, you were on the previous version of my tiki room. But, we moved 4 hours drive south of Paris, to Clermont-Ferrand, and this room is the new (much improved) version. I hope you'll be able to visit us here !

Pages: 1 28 replies