Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Monster Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 19 replies

I shot about a dozen photos of our basement tiki bar yesterday, including some closeups of some details. As a newbie I'm not sure how much to share so I'll start with a few basics. Let me know if you'd like to see more.

When we moved into this house a few years ago, this bar area was already in the basement. The wallcovering and the covering around the base of the bar were already there.

My in-laws live in Pensacola and we started bringing home tikis from a tiki carver every time we visited.

Our biggest tiki carving.

You've gotta have tiki mugs! We an additional set of 12 less interesting mugs that I bought in bulk. They are better for parties.

Our aquarium without water and a custom tiki carving. He looks like a monster we like.

Hope you enjoy!
Monster Tiki

Nice, looks like a fun place.

UNTIL THE LIGHTS GO OUT! :o

Q

Looks like a fun place to throw back a beverage or three! Do you have any low light capabilities for the bar or anything on the individual monsters, tikis, etc?

Nice collection! Thanks for sharing.

The lights above the bar are separate from the ceiling lights. We also have lamps next to the futon in the bar. When we are having a party we usually kill the main ceiling lights and go with the bar ceiling lights, lamp and accent lights we have in the room like the one that uplights the tall tiki in the corner.

Our house has an old odd style of light switch. I can't put a dimmer on them. I've not been able to find out much about them. The switches are small and in the basement workshop is some sort of panel which buzzes each time you press a light switch. I dread the day the system stops working. I think in 1965 it was considered the hot, new thing to use.

Looks like a great spot to relax n have a drink
Lookin good

Fabulous...nice to see how people blend Tiki in with their other passions.

Monster,

I like! I'm jealous you have access at the in-law's to tiki carving. Not much here in NJ. Heading to FL in Nov, think they'd let me carry on a big one?!?!? (not)

Anyhow, keep the pictures coming. I for one can't get enough!

Some closeups of the artwork:

Some of our monsters on the staircase down to the basement.

I found a copy of this album at a yard sale in our neighborhood. It contains a picture book in the album cover. I decided to frame the cover, but keep the album out to enjoy the songs.

I also enjoy the mermaids of Weeki Wachee and have 2 photos of them displayed. Weeki Wachee is located about 45 min. north of Tampa, FL. It has an underwater mermaid show that takes place in a natural spring. The mermaids have airtubes they use as they perform. The audience sits in a viewing area which allows you to watch the underwater show through a big window.

A Jenny Hanover

Jenny's friend

A Shag print.

A pachinko machine on top of a display of monkey pod bowls.

The corner of the bar where you can encounter The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein's Monster and some strange tentacle reaching in through a porthole to try to get a tiki drink. Also some prints of Shag's bigfoot series.

The tentacle from another angle...see the slime?

That is one freaky tiki bar!

I like it.

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2012-07-31 09:41 ]

Love the tentacle!

3-D wall art -- Lovin' the tentacle especially!

On 2012-07-27 07:23, Monster Tiki wrote:

Our house has an old odd style of light switch. I can't put a dimmer on them. I've not been able to find out much about them. The switches are small and in the basement workshop is some sort of panel which buzzes each time you press a light switch. I dread the day the system stops working. I think in 1965 it was considered the hot, new thing to use.

Is it like this?
Cool bar by the way!!!
http://retrorenovation.com/2009/07/17/gretchens-1961-ge-solenoid-system-lighting/

Here's some others.
While these may sound, look cool, They suck!
When the solinoid goes out the switch will go clunk but the light stays on.
Our solinoids are up in a small atic you can get to easily so I can't change it out.
You can get parts here.
http://www.kyledesigns.com/category/11_home_decor.2_low-voltage-lighting-systems/

Yes, Tikiship...that's our lightswitches. Most are the older GE version that's white and says off and on, but we have one that has the "newer" version that is brown. So far we've been lucky with them.
Thanks for sharing the links to the info.

T

It's not the switch that goes bad, I guess they can crack.
But it's the mechanical relays that quit working.
Good luck!!

Cool!

You need a big print of this!

I found this online in a postcard set. Korean if I remember, from the late 60's or early 70's. Different giant Godzilla type monsters by different world landmarks.

[ Edited by: TravnerRavenweird 2012-08-01 13:48 ]

Awesome Monsters and Tikis.....Lovin it!!!!!!
-Monsterjones

wow, monsters and tiki. I love it!

Updates?

EJ

Monster Jones,

Your monster model work is awesome. Really cool stuff. You should post some photos of your work over in the Beyond Tiki forum.

El Jefe

Pages: 1 19 replies