Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ironwood

Pages: 1 11 replies

I picked up a small piece of Ironwood (Olneya tesota). I think it's a protected species and may be illegal to collect so I won't say how I got it :D

Probably not the best wood for a new carver but anyone have tips for working with it? I've seen carvings done of it in Mexico that have beautiful dark grain and a mirror-like finish.

Here it is "floating" in water. It has a desity of 1.2, similar to Lignum Vitae or Ebony and about twice as dense as Walnut

M

Just make sure its not toxic or a rash causing wood before you dive in. There's no limit to its desired finish. You can get this to 1000 grit! Its heavy and very dense.

Mahalo

McTiki

P

wow...

that's amazing looking...

Rotary tools are maybe more appropriate than chisels. Contact Benzart.

McTiki, that is a good point. Certain wood dusts make me wheeze, especially redwood and any hardwood ~ I should probably wear a mask.

Tom, that's what I figured ~ treat it more like bone or stone. I think I'm going to try a Hei Matau, that may be within the scope of my limited skill set. I'll need to do some research to find how to do the lashing.

M

I found a guide of sorts, but, it doesn't contain the Iron wood genus (Sideroxylon)family. It does have alot of others common to us rotary & chisel guys though.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Mahalo

McTiki

great color

The piece I sliced off has some lighter colored heartwood which could make some nice color variation. I drew out a simple hook, let's see what happens

BT

Ironwood is beautiful, used on a lot of custom guitars. Hopefully the piece you got was from proper sourcing, it's the wild stuff that is off limits.

Just don't waste it :wink: That's a nice looking piece, you should be able to make some great stuff out of it.

wow that looks amazing!

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/desert-ironwood/
No definite toxic effects listed here but probably safe to wear a mask if you're going to use power tools...

S
savoy6 posted on Sat, Aug 4, 2012 8:34 PM

it's a type of hornbeam..if that helps any...alot of native american tribes used this wood specifically for arrow shafts because of it's rigidity and hardness....

B

This wood is better Machined than carved as it will wreck a set of chisels if not careful. Thats why most of the pieces you see are smooth with very little detail It can be polished to a mirror finish . Tom was correct in using rotary tools though fine detail can be sharpened up with knives and chisels. Good luck, take your time and Have FUN!

Pages: 1 11 replies