Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

8/20/12 Tiki Night at 320 Main in Seal Beach, CA

Pages: 1 8 replies

Tiki Night at 320 Main ¨C TIKI THROWDOWN
by Matt Robold on August 9, 2012

It¡¯s happening! After being asked for almost a full year about when we were going to have another Tiki Night at 320 Main, I can say ON AUGUST 20th at 7pm!

What: Tiki Throwdown
When: Monday, August 20th 2012 @ 7pm PDT
Where: 320 Main, Seal Beach, CA
Who: You, me, and the Tiki Gods

Last year I managed to slip enough rum into Jason¡¯s coffee to convince him that hosting a monthly Tiki Night at 320 Main for the entire summer was a great idea. Several months, many drinks, and probably about 15,000 gallons of fresh juice later we managed to mop the stickiness off of the floor finally sleep soundly in the knowledge that our busboys and barbacks would no longer want to kill us for making them work 15 hour days doing nothing but juicing citrus and pineapples and picking only perfect mint leaves and making ice blocks for punch.

This year we opted to hold off on turning our barstaff into murderous vengeance-seekers and put all the awesome into one big night.

On August 20th, Jason and I will be joined by the inimitable Kelly Merrell from Trader Sam¡¯s Enchanted Tiki Bar for a Tiki Throwdown! We¡¯ll all be making drinks from five of the greatest Tiki icons of all time with concoctions from Don The Beachcomber, Trader Vic, Steve Crane, Jeff ¡°Beachbum¡± Berry, and Martin Cate. Mood music will be provided, as usual, by the awesome Ken Caldretti while an array of hot dogs will be grilled up by 320¡äs amazing kitchen staff.

Tiki Drinks, punches, hot dogs, music, and prizes. What else could you possibly want to do on a Monday night?

http://rumdood.com/2012/08/09/tiki-night-at-320-main-tiki-throwdown/#more-2082

I'm sorry about the lack of pictures and strange copy and paste job. My company blocks some programs.

You can never have enough Tiki events going on in this area
but why do you guys insist on doing this at the same time as
"TC night at Don the Beachcomber, which is already struggling
due to the economic situation?

It would seem to make sense to do this on another night
so you don't conflict with the one and only regular get together
we have in Orange County.

It's a one night event. Says so in the posting.

The tiki community should really try to support such events because the people throwing them are putting the effort into them FOR the tiki community .. doesn't really matter what night it falls on.

DTB is open 6 other days so you can easily meet there a different night AND go to this event. Pretty easy solution.

Will try to check it out since we will still be in the area after Oasis. Have to see how Oasis hungover we all are :)
Kelly is a rad bartender.

Hope its successful, regardless!

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2012-08-15 13:13 ]

When it rains it pours! Funny timing for the 320 Main event, maybe they thought they'd nab some Tiki Oasis hold overs.
I'm just passing along a Facebook post. I can't even attend the event.

What ATP is talking about is that last year 320 Main had series of Tiki Nights that were fun, pretty well attended and delicious. I think the reason they do these on Mondays is that generally Monday is a dead night and the guest bartenders best chance to do something else.

I think a stop by Don's before or after for some people who aren't usually in the area doesn't sound impossible though.

D

Hey, this happens tonight!

320 Main's own Big Kahuna Jason Schiffer, Matthew Robold (as his evil alter-ego, The Rumdood), and Trader Sam's golden boy, Kelly Merrell will be serving up unimaginably delicious cocktails from 5 Tiki Icons, and YOU will decide which one's the best!

Bora Boris is right; the reason this is going down on a Monday is because it's the only night 320 Main is dark, and it was the only way to get these three busy bartenders at the same time. Last year, A lot of folks hit Don's earlier and came by afterwards for this, so it's not a big deal, really.

Should cap off the weekend nicely!

[ Edited by: Dolewhip 2012-08-20 13:23 ]

sorry I couldn't make this last night,
I was wiped out, and couldn't handle any more drinks.
ooooooooof!!!!

hope it went well.

Jeff(btd)

D

Yeah, those of us who partied all weekend at T.O. were pretty wiped out, but it was a fun, well-attended night!

The Orange County Register's Food Frenzy section put up an article about it on Tuesday; you can check it out here:

http://foodfrenzy.ocregister.com/2012/08/21/tiki-culture-takes-over-320-main/63842/

Pages: 1 8 replies