Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Plastic Paradise Documentary Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies

Hello Tiki Central,

Brett O'Bourke here; Producer and director of the upcoming documentary Plastic Paradise. I just wanted to post a heads-up that the website for the film is finally up and we'll be updating it with all kinds of good stuff over the coming weeks/months. Presently, there is a teaser reel, videos from PKNY and Oceanic Arts, behind-the-secnes photos and quotes from folks featured in the film. We shot a tremendous amount of footage in Ft. Lauderdale (at two Hukilau), LA and NYC and we can't get it all in the film (for example, the full cut we made of Angie Pontani's finale performance in the rain at this year's Hukilau is smoking hot!), so we'll be putting lots on the website. Please be sure to let us know what you think and ask questions (there is a little question mark icon at the top of the navigation where you ask us stuff).

http://plasticparadisedoc.tumblr.com

Mahalo,

Brett

Common Machine's upcoming documentary Plastic Paradise tells the story of tiki culture’s original rise and fall in the mid-20th century, and its recent rediscovery by a new generation of Polynesian popsters. http://plasticparadisedoc.com
[ Edited by: Common Machine 2012-08-22 12:21 ]

[ Edited by: Common Machine 2012-08-22 12:22 ]

Nice work, guys, I am looking forward to this furthering of the propagation of the Tiki gospel :)

"Jolly Stomper" wow, what's in that?

From Richard Boccato's own files:

Jolly Stomper

7 ½ oz. Fresh lime juice
3 ½ oz. House-made orgeat
1 ½ oz. Falernum
10 oz. Gin
Red wine float

Build in a blender pitcher. Blend with one scoop of crushed ice, and pour into a flower vase. Top with crushed ice, and swizzle. Float red wine, and top with crushed ice again. Garnish with orchids, and serve.

Thank you, looks like maybe some bitters going in at the end as well.

EJ

When is this going to be available to purchase? I could have sworn I saw a copy of the DVD for sale at the Hukilau in the vendor area but forgot to swing back by and buy it. I cannot find any purchase info online. Thanks.

HT

On 2013-07-04 16:15, El Jefe wrote:
When is this going to be available to purchase? I could have sworn I saw a copy of the DVD for sale at the Hukilau in the vendor area but forgot to swing back by and buy it. I cannot find any purchase info online. Thanks.

I think that was the DVD of Tiki you saw. Could be wrong.

EJ

On 2013-07-05 08:15, Hale Tiki wrote:

On 2013-07-04 16:15, El Jefe wrote:

I think that was the DVD of Tiki you saw. Could be wrong.

Could have been but I have the DVD of Tiki and the one I saw I swear had a different cover. It was on the table when you first walked in that was selling all the different photos and prints.

Must have been another DVD. Plastic Paradise probably won't be available on DVD until late fall/early winter. We'll let you know ... once we figure it out.

The film will be offered to PBS affiliates nationally in early Sept. and we'll be sure to post TV schedules as we receive them both on this thread and on our website.

We were thrilled to screen at Hukilau and have been pleased as punch at the positive response.

best,

CM

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2013 3:28 PM

Kudos on the film, I enjoyed it very much and look forward to purchasing a copy. I think it compliments "The DVD of Tiki" very well in that "The DVD of Tiki" focuses on original Tiki-style and "Plastic Paradise" drills down on the Tiki Revival. I agree with the latter's hypothesis that the Tiki Revival is a Post-Punk phenomenon. :)

EJ

Common & John-O,

Thanks for the info as I did not get the chance to see the film.

Very cool! Can't wait to see it!

HT

Dig it. Pittsburgh is home to the original PBS, so we sure as hell better be getting it here!

Can you also please update us if you find out when it'll be screened? It'll be nice to be able to post it around to make sure that tons of people watch it!

For sure. We will definitely post all air dates and screenings on this thread.

September 18th, 8:00 p.m on WLRN Miami:

http://wlrn.org/plastic-paradise

Plastic Paradise will be available to all PBS stations beginning September 4th, 2013

On 2013-09-12 21:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
September 18th, 8:00 p.m on WLRN Miami:

http://wlrn.org/plastic-paradise

Plastic Paradise will be available to all PBS stations beginning September 4th, 2013

Sweet. Cant wait to see it!

( finally one that I'm not in!!! lol!!!)

Are you saying us folks in Hawaii already missed it? Damm hope it's a typo or now I have to wait till the video comes out.

S

Premiers the 18th but is available for any PBS to run I think.

All,

Plastic Paradise has indeed begun hitting PBS stations across the country. Each local affiliate is free to schedule and air Plastic Paradise anytime they want. Could be next week, could be next year. Since the feed just became available a couple weeks ago, you will generally see the smaller markets airing it first and the bigger markets (where schedules tend to be a little more dense) airing in October or November.

The reason we've been slow to post a complete schedule is because we don't have one. We were operating under the assumption that we'd be working together with with WLRN (the PBS affiliate that commissioned the film) to promote Plastic Paradise, particularly here on Tiki Central, where so many people who were integral in the making of the film hang out. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.

In the email exchange in which we found out they would not be providing us with a carriage reports, Special Projects Manager Adrienne Kennedy recommended we send people wanting to know when the film is airing directly to her. Her email is [email protected].

Meanwhile, here is the list we've compiled on our own through Google searches. We'll update it as best we are able. Our sincere apologies for not being able to provide a complete carriage report. Please do let us know if you hear about additional air dates and times in your areas.

best,

Brett O'Bourke

Indianapolis (WFYI): Tuesday, September 10, at 9 p.m.
Urbana-Champaign (WILL TV): Sunday, September 15, at 4 p.m.
Denver-Boulder-Aspen (CPT 12): Monday, September 16, at 7 p.m.
Miami-Fort Lauderdale (WLRN): Wednesday, September 18, at 8 p.m.
Washington State (KTNW): Saturday, September 21, at 10 p.m.
Louisville-Lexington (KET2): Monday, October 7, at 10 p.m.

[ Edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 14:40 ]

[ Edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 15:17 ]

[ Edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 15:21 ]

[ Edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 15:32 ]

[ Edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 15:37 ]

Thanks for the info Brett and for your hard work. Tell me do they, PBS, eventually give you your own distribution rights and if so when? Love to buy a DVD and probably many others on TC.

S

Nice piece in the Miami Herald about the team behind the documentary. Kudos!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/13/v-fullstory/3624617/mai-kai-anyone-documentary-by.html

Nicely done, indeed. A comment on production value such as "...Although the hourlong Plastic Paradise was budgeted at $80,000 by WLRN, the finished film is so slick and polished, it looks like it cost four times that to make..." is gold for the company!

Hey you guys, let me know if you need a shooter for your "Errol Flynn’s Ghost: Hollywood in Havana" :wink:
Is it gonna touch on his days in Papua New Guinea? And his South Seas novel?

N

I didnt know there was already a thread going, my mistake for not searching like I was instructed to do :)

Curious to know who all was featured in the show besides Shag and Berry. I didnt record it and cant remember everyone. Also, is that bowling alley in Florida or west coast?

This thread introduced the bowling alley at the "Polynesian Gardens" condos (middle of page 3), and is a fine example of united TC archeology (AND of what TC used to be good at: posting IMAGES!)...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29385&forum=5&start=30

...its research culminating in a fun TC bowling event, and in a planned HUKILAU expedition in 2012, which sadly had to be canceled due to the generational divide between tattooed Tiki revivalists and the Jewish old lady management (in Jewish belief, tattoos are taboo)
The place is pretty bland and generic, and could be seen as an example of Tiki Devolution, but the bowling alley, and the muralled lobby with its remaining Witco are gems of late Tiki style.

The one thing I regret that Plastic Paradise could not delve into enough is Tiki archeology, i.e. showing more original places such as this. But there is just too much to cover, and most people want to see what is happening NOW, not what was (even though it inspired it).

The other thing I am curious about is if after bartering around the term "Tiki" a bit, does the finished film sufficiently explain WHAT a Tiki is, and WHY the style bears his name... a thing that sometimes seems to get lost nowadays - here, too. :)

N

I've been going to the Mai Kai about once a week for a while and as much as I love the place, I feel it got a bit too much coverage. Would have liked to have seen some other things mixed in as well. Still was a really cool thing to see and I learned a few things too.

On 2013-09-19 04:45, nomeus wrote:
I've been going to the Mai Kai about once a week for a while and as much as I love the place, I feel it got a bit too much coverage. Would have liked to have seen some other things mixed in as well. Still was a really cool thing to see and I learned a few things too.

I assume that was based on $ and the production company being out of Miami and the proximity and convenience of having Mai-Kai and Hukilau right at their doorstep. But I agree, ideally I would have liked to have seen more west coast and NYC as well.

Al in all though, Awesome Job on the movie!

The show didn't air in Denver. Here is the reason the station gave.

CPT12’s Master Control experienced a technical glitch and missed the scheduled download from the server for Plastic Paradise. We did not capture a copy of the program so we cannot air it in the future. We apologize for the mishap. I was looking forward to watching it too.

Sincerely,
CPT12

S

On 2013-09-19 05:57, MaukaHale wrote:

CPT12’s Master Control experienced a technical glitch and missed the scheduled download from the server for Plastic Paradise. We did not capture a copy of the program so we cannot air it in the future. We apologize for the mishap. I was looking forward to watching it too.

Sincerely,
CPT12

My local PBS says they also did not download and don't have the show to air as well.

N

Swanky, did I see you in this show?

T

On 2013-09-19 02:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
and is a fine example of united TC archeology (AND of what TC used to be good at: posting IMAGES!)...

Went though my photos today on my camera and like 80% are photos I put on TC.
But it takes lots of time, and the pay sucks.:)

S

On 2013-09-19 10:58, nomeus wrote:
Swanky, did I see you in this show?

I have not seen it yet, but I am told I am in it.

You certainly are! Shame you missed at the Hukilau

On 2013-09-19 05:57, MaukaHale wrote:

Sincerely,
CPT12

Any more sightings of the film? I thought it's gonna make a splash here and elsewhere, I am disappointed that it seems like it's just falling between the cracks due to its erratic appearance. It was such a labor of love for those guys, and I had higher hopes for it....

S

Word from them says they got a chilly reception in San Fran, but LA seems into it.

Waddaya mean, you're talking audience ratings? When did it air in L.A.? Why are there no reports about it here?

Does anyone know how to get a schedule of when this is on?

From the previous page:

On 2013-09-13 12:04, Common Machine wrote:
All,
The reason we've been slow to post a complete schedule is because we don't have one. We were operating under the assumption that we'd be working together with with WLRN (the PBS affiliate that commissioned the film) to promote Plastic Paradise, particularly here on Tiki Central, where so many people who were integral in the making of the film hang out. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.

In the email exchange in which we found out they would not be providing us with a carriage reports, Special Projects Manager Adrienne Kennedy recommended we send people wanting to know when the film is airing directly to her. Her email is [email protected].

Meanwhile, here is the list we've compiled on our own through Google searches. We'll update it as best we are able. Our sincere apologies for not being able to provide a complete carriage report. Please do let us know if you hear about additional air dates and times in your areas.

best,

Brett O'Bourke

Indianapolis (WFYI): Tuesday, September 10, at 9 p.m.
Urbana-Champaign (WILL TV): Sunday, September 15, at 4 p.m.
Denver-Boulder-Aspen (CPT 12): Monday, September 16, at 7 p.m.
Miami-Fort Lauderdale (WLRN): Wednesday, September 18, at 8 p.m.
Washington State (KTNW): Saturday, September 21, at 10 p.m.
Louisville-Lexington (KET2): Monday, October 7, at 10 p.m.

Looks like Boston will be last to the party, as usual.

T

Just saw this tonight in Columbus Ohio.
Did not know there was a photo of me with Shag in it.
Two of my lights made it in as well, One is above Svens head as he talks in his home.
It was a good show!

Will be on here in Columbus again....
Plastic Paradise: A Short, Swingin Trip Through America's Polynesian Obsession
 Tuesday October 22, 2013
 10:00PM – 11:00PM
 994 WOSUDT3

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

Nowhere in sight for Boston, yet!

On 2013-10-11 16:53, Big Kahuna wrote:
Looks like Boston will be last to the party, as usual.

Don't you guys call yourselves, "The Hub"? :)

TT

It's a Tiki Christmas in Cleveland Ohio!

Plastic Paradise will show on WEAO Akron 12/25 at 2:00 AM
http://westernreservepublicmedia.org/alpha.htm

i saw it at Hukilau and I am wondering when it will be available to purchase?

T

I would love to see it and wish it played on more PBS stations...

T

Think you would have a cash $ cow within the Tiki community on this film IF you could buy copies. Would also serve as a great learning tool for people that may not know about, but may like to get into Tiki! Thortiki

I would buy it! I doubt they are going to air it on Vermont Public Television.

M

Count me in on the group of folks who would dig seeing this or purchasing it or renting it!

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies