Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Has anyone heard about a new tiki bar opening in San Diego in the near-ish future?

Pages: 1 45 replies

One of my friends is the general manager of a few bars here in San Diego. He had dinner with a couple of liquor purveyors and they said that the owners of Smuggler's Cove in San Francisco were in the early stages of opening a new tiki bar in San Diego.

Does anyone have more info on this???

I have not heard, but I would be really excited!!! I'll keep my ears open and let you guys know if I hear anything...

that would be awesome,
as its way easier for me to get to SD than SF.

Jeff(btd)

T

Just trail Bamboo Ben every morning as he goes to work.
You will find it.

Will it be owned by the Coen Bros?
http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/

They operated Mr. Mai Tais Tiki Bar, on 5th in the Gas Lamp, which had a good run. They also operate about a dozen other SD establishments.

I don't think it would be owned by the Cohn Group, unless they partnered up with the owners of Smuggler's Cove. My wife works for the Cohn Group and hadn't heard anything. The Cohns are extremely business savvy. If a restaurant is going under and doesn't look like it will make it, they know when to call it quits. David Cohn loved the concept of Mister TIki and poured a ton of his own personal money into keeping it open as long as he could, but alas it couldn't last forever. He still has a storage facility where he has most of the decorations, including extremely large Bosko carvings. That would be interesting if they did partner up.

A

Hmmmmmm......

The only mystery bar I currently know of is one that's planned for 30th & Adams by the people behind Craft & Commerce, El Dorado, Neighborhood, etc.

Also, the Riviera Supper Club recently changed hands and that could be converted into a cool tiki place. I'll sniff around.

On 2012-08-30 08:55, arriano wrote:
Hmmmmmm......

The only mystery bar I currently know of is one that's planned for 30th & Adams by the people behind Craft & Commerce, El Dorado, Neighborhood, etc.

Also, the Riviera Supper Club recently changed hands and that could be converted into a cool tiki place. I'll sniff around.

I totally agree. The Riviera Supper Club would make a killer tiki establishment.

SK

On 2012-08-30 08:48, Kiwi Steve wrote:
I don't think it would be owned by the Cohn Group, unless they partnered up with the owners of Smuggler's Cove. My wife works for the Cohn Group and hadn't heard anything. The Cohns are extremely business savvy.
. . . .
David Cohn loved the concept of Mister TIki and poured a ton of his own personal money into keeping it open as long as he could, but alas it couldn't last forever.

The capital of the Cohn group combined with a love of Tiki and the magic of Smuggler's Cove?
Also, the Cohn group must know that Tiki restaurants can flourish and few last forever.
So, maybe, they will try again, based on a 5-year plan.

My friends band plays at the Riviera, so I asked him about it. He said he has not heard anything except that it did change ownership recently. He will try to ask around over there and see if he can get some answers. I will post more as soon as I hear anything.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2012 4:20 PM

I'm excited about the 30th and Adams one, my new house is only about a mile from there.
I heard that someone from San Francisco was coming down to SD to open a bar, but I think it was someone that had a distilling background, and not SC.

There's a lot of great cocktail places popping up, and I think a Tiki bar would do really well right now.

I wish I could win the lottery and build one.

On 2012-09-04 16:20, mieko wrote:

I heard that someone from San Francisco was coming down to SD to open a bar, but I think it was someone that had a distilling background, and not SC.

A Tiki beer bar?
The craft beer scene is thriving in SD.
http://sandiegobeerinsider.com/wet-n-reckless-brewery

That actually might be a good niche, warm days and cold beer, yet Tiki and beachy.
Not necessarily poly-pop, but very San Diego appropriate.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2012-09-05 07:52 ]

Anyone find out any new info this week?

No. Kiwi Steve seems to think that it is not just a rumor...

Maybe he knows more about it?

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2012-09-12 17:09 ]

On 2012-08-30 04:30, tikiskip wrote:
Just trail Bamboo Ben every morning as he goes to work.
You will find it.

Not me Skip.

I've been going the other way into L.A.

Although I wouldn't mind spending some time in SD....

Well Hell...

I contacted the people at Smuggler's Cove and they said it wasn't true.

They said that a well know San Francisco bartender is moving to San Diego to open a new place with some local SD partners, but it's not going to be tiki.

They didn't give me any details, but they said it was going to be a great place (even though it wasn't tiki).

I need a drink... Well, another one...

T

See if it were true Ben would be Goin there.

Sooo are you going to Todd Rundgrens place Ben???

A

On 2012-09-13 02:32, Kiwi Steve wrote:
Well Hell...

I contacted the people at Smuggler's Cove and they said it wasn't true.

They said that a well know San Francisco bartender is moving to San Diego to open a new place with some local SD partners, but it's not going to be tiki.

They didn't give me any details, but they said it was going to be a great place (even though it wasn't tiki).

Well, that's disappointing.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Sep 13, 2012 9:24 AM

Is this what you guys are talking about?

The Air Conditioned Lounge, 4673 30th St. at Adams.

I went there a few weeks ago and it wasn't all that great. Bar Pink, etc. have these guys beat all over. Maybe I'm missing something, they're trying to do event nights but don't seem to have any ideas about what an event night is. It's not a very big place and there's no real room for a band. The drinks were no big deal either; Smugglers Cove this ain't. They have a real nice sign out front though and one of the best (new too) mid-century antique shops a few doors south on 30th.

http://airconditionedlounge.com/

It's VERY disappointing... I'm so sorry I got everyone's hopes up...

On 2012-09-13 10:29, Kiwi Steve wrote:
It's VERY disappointing... I'm so sorry I got everyone's hopes up...

No worries... May I suggest that you gave us all a good reason to have a drink? Okole maluna! :)

On 2012-09-13 05:21, tikiskip wrote:
See if it were true Ben would be Goin there.

Sooo are you going to Todd Rundgrens place Ben???

Yes Skip!

I will be on Kauai this January 2013

building Tiki Iniki !!! It's gonna be gOOd!

Bummer. I hope at some point we do get another tiki bar in SD. We need a bar that is more bar than resturant. Where would be the best place for one? North Park?

Cammo - Air Conditioned has been around for a while now. I went there like a year and a half ago. They were advertising an 80's night so a bunch of us went. They have a strict dress code, which turned me off since their bar wasn't very upscale. They didn't play any 80's either, just top 40 generic dance music from today. I don't think I would ever have any reason to go back there. But they do have AC!

On 2012-09-13 11:42, lunavideogames wrote:
Bummer. I hope at some point we do get another tiki bar in SD. We need a bar that is more bar than resturant. Where would be the best place for one? North Park?

Tiki Gods like the Pacific Ocean, so Pacific Beach is the logical location, not to mention the hordes of 20 somethings to patronize it and keep it open, so it doesn't close like Mr. Mai Tai Tiki Lounge.

I think there's a bar in Pacific Beach called the Tiki Bar, it may be called the Tiki House now. Unfortunately, there's nothing tiki about it, except for the name. It's a bar that only serves beer and has live music.

Mister Tiki had a bad location for it's theme. I can't picture a tiki bar surviving downtown.

North Park sounds good, since it's close to me! Haha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray Boylan mentioned something about this on his recent radio show.

Hmmm...

On 2012-09-13 23:00, Kiwi Steve wrote:
I think there's a bar in Pacific Beach called the Tiki Bar, it may be called the Tiki House now. Unfortunately, there's nothing tiki about it, except for the name. It's a bar that only serves beer and has live music.

Mister Tiki had a bad location for it's theme. I can't picture a tiki bar surviving downtown.

Isn't there a website where you can check on what liquor license applications have been issued in San Diego? It takes a while to get them approved doesn't it?
Don't forget about Pirates Cove Tiki Port in Point Loma. A place with tiki in the same that only serves coffee and smoothies. Sacrilegious! Although they do have good coffee.

A

On 2012-09-13 11:42, lunavideogames wrote:
Cammo - Air Conditioned has been around for a while now. I went there like a year and a half ago. They were advertising an 80's night so a bunch of us went. They have a strict dress code, which turned me off since their bar wasn't very upscale. They didn't play any 80's either, just top 40 generic dance music from today. I don't think I would ever have any reason to go back there. But they do have AC!

A dress code at AC? I've been there a few times (it's OK, nothing special), and have never experienced a dress code. And I think the last time I was there I was wearing shorts. I don't know that this is the bar that's to be the next Consortium Holdings bar (Craft & Commerce, El Dorado, Neighborhood). I just know they're opening one at or near the 30th & Adams intersection.

Kadan closed last month and the new people that are moving in are the owners of the downtown gastropub "Neighborhood".

I answered my own question. On October 29th the ABC will post on their website the San Diego County establishments that were awarded liquor licenses.

http://www.abc.ca.gov/Permits/permits.html

On 2012-09-14 08:50, tikilongbeach wrote:

On 2012-09-13 23:00, Kiwi Steve wrote:

Isn't there a website where you can check on what liquor license applications have been issued in San Diego? It takes a while to get them approved doesn't it?
Don't forget about Pirates Cove Tiki Port in Point Loma. A place with tiki in the same that only serves coffee and smoothies. Sacrilegious! Although they do have good coffee.

This is actually in OB on Voltaire and Cable. It is cool to have something decorated tiki, but you are right. I don't really ever drink coffee, so I have really never been there.

IDK if PB would be good for a tiki bar. I think everyone there drinks Coors Light and Jagerbombs. I don't think that they would embrace the tiki idea. They thrive off of top 40 DJs and loud music which isn't very tiki. OB might be ok, but there are a bunch of bars in OB already. Also in OB I am not sure if people would accept the higher prices of the tiki drinks. North Park or City Heights are more "hip" so I think they would get behind the idea of tiki there.

[i]On 2012-09-17 11:23, lunavideogames wrote:

IDK if PB would be good for a tiki bar. I think everyone there drinks Coors Light and Jagerbombs. I don't think that they would embrace the tiki idea. They thrive off of top 40 DJs and loud music which isn't very tiki. OB might be ok, but there are a bunch of bars in OB already.

Point well taken.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2012-09-18 12:45 ]

I stopped at Don the Beachcomber for lunch on Saturday on my way back from LA. I was chatting with one of the bartenders about all of my favorite drinks at Don's. He asked me where I was from and I said San Diego. He then said that they were currently looking at properties in San Diego to bring Don's down here. I, of course, said that would be AMAZING and that I would be there all the time.

I feel like San Diego TC members should show their support of Don's opening down here. IDK if we should start a new thread that they might read or hear about? But I feel like when you are up there, PLEASE mention how great it would be to have a Don the Beachcomber here in San Diego!

I would be there every week and I would make sure to bring lots of people with me!!! We need more tiki bars in SD!

A

Wow. That would be great. They should be in Mission Valley so it would be close to Tiki Oasis (and me).

On 2012-09-14 10:40, tikilongbeach wrote:
I answered my own question. On October 29th the ABC will post on their website the San Diego County establishments that were awarded liquor licenses.

http://www.abc.ca.gov/Permits/permits.html

Looks like the ABC sold 25 licenses in San Diego, including the gaslamp & PB.
http://www.abc.ca.gov/Permits/Priority_Summary_01Nov12.pdf

Though this is obviously North County, I always thought this would be perfect for a Don's.... especially if they bought the hotel too. It's a short walk to the ocean and the train station is within walking distance (great for LA and OC visitors).

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31792&forum=2&hilite=oceanside

Something coming soon! That's all I can say.

Better have some cool mugs... :tiki:

Oh yea and good drinks and good atmosphere and close to my house and affordable and open early and open late...

Cool! Ben is on it!

A

There's been talk of turning the Information Center at Mission Bay into a restaurant. Man, how great would that be as a Don the Beachcomber? It's even round like the '70s/'80s DtBs.

That would be great. I could sail over and get a Mai Tai. That would be the life...

My wife is a bartender here in San Diego and knows a lot of people in the business... I told her about this thread and she called a couple of people and they said that there is a tiki bar coming to North Park soon, but they need to look into it to make sure they know what they are talking about. I'll let you know more as soon as I know more... I hope it's in North Park as that's really close to me!!!!!!!!!! The Information Center on Mission Bay would be a great location also, but not close enough for me. Haha!

Not sure if this is going to be tiki, but a restaurant/cafe called American Voodoo is opening up at 4655 Park Blvd in the near future...

F

If Ben's in the know about it, that's at least a good sign that somebody's trying to do it the right way. Crossing my fingers in hopes that SD is truly getting a new tiki bar at some point.

MH

On 2013-02-14 15:47, Kiwi Steve wrote:
Not sure if this is going to be tiki, but a restaurant/cafe called American Voodoo is opening up at 4655 Park Blvd in the near future...

We walked by this place over the weekend. It definitely did NOT look like it was going to be anything tiki. Plus, it's right across the street from the Lei Lounge in University Heights.

Sidebar: Not saying that the Lei Lounge is any shape or form tiki.

[ Edited by: Miss Hell 2013-02-18 13:13 ]

Pages: 1 45 replies