Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Suggestions for a Nui Nui-like drink for lg. quantity

Pages: 1 5 replies

K

I'm selecting drinks for our annual Tx tiki party and thinking about which ones have been favorites with guests. The Nui Nui comes to mind, and the idea of something with a bit of spice. It does not seem to translate well into quantity, mostly because of the large percentage of rum. We try not to serve the deadly strong drinks since folks are here for many hours. Any suggestions for a more spicy, less sweet drink that we could make in a large amount, like 50 drinks?

Blood of the Kapu Tiki (Intoxica - Page 19)
The Grapefruit, Pernod and Bitters give it a nice spicy flavor. I think it would translate well into larger batches, too.

Colonel Beach's Plantation Punch can be scaled up to a decent sized communal punch. Individually it's a pretty strong cocktail, but the benefit of making it a punch is you can serve smaller portions and not knock your guests out within 45 minutes. :)

Kevin

K

Thanks y'all. Good suggestions. We've done the Blood of the Kapu Tiki before and that went over well. A few other recommendations I've gotten are Jungle Bird from Beachbum Berry's Grog Log, Coconaut and Rum Barrel Punch.

I once made Martin Cate's Tiki Oasis punch from 2010 and it was a hit! Not too hard to make, strong, spicy, but not overwhelming, and definite similarities to a Nui Nui. Here's the recipe:

1 ounce Rhum JM VSOP (26oz/750ml bottle)
1 ounce Zaya rum (26 oz/750ml bottle)
1 ounce strong Darjeeling tea (3 cups)
1 ounce fresh lime juice (I used Lakewood 100% lime juice due to laziness)
.25 ounce Demerara simple syrup (about 6 or 7 oz, to taste)
.5 ounce Trader Tiki Cinnamon Syrup (13oz/375ml bottle)
.5 ounce Trader Tiki Vanilla Syrup (13oz/375ml bottle)

Just multiply the quantities, like I did for approx. 25 servings. I didn't use Zaya or agricole Rhum, due to how expensive they are here, but the recipe didn't suffer much for use of cheaper rums. Fresh limes probably would have made it even better.

K

Mmm. That does look good. Well, anything Martin Cate makes is damn good! I'll have to see if I have the ingredients. Mahalo!

Pages: 1 5 replies