Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's at Trader Joe's!

Pages: 1 19 replies

I just came back from the Emeryville Trader Joe's, and they're selling Trader Vic's Dark Rum for $8.99 a bottle (750ml)! They also have Trader Vic's Mai Tai Cocktail (no mixing necessary) for $6.99! Our prayers have been answered!

--cindy

How do these two rate? Is the pre mixed Mai Tai decent?

:tiki:

I don't know -- I haven't tried it yet!

--cindy

Well?

Well?

WAITING.........

Come on, happy hour in New York is over already!

I'm on the West Coast, and I'm stuck in the office for a few more hours....

--cindy

I noticed that Trader Joe's was selling Trader Vic's pre-mixed Mai Tai's in H.B. I just didn't have the courage to try it...

NN2

I just had to buy a bottle of the premixed just to try it. It's not horrible, but pretty sweet (needs a bit more rum too.) It was perfect to put in a bag and take to my daughter's swim party. It taste just like those Club premixed drinks we used to buy for the girls in high school.

Break out the straws!!

:tiki:

Hey, a fifth of the premixed stuff sells for less than ONE DRINK at the bar!

I was not expecting much with the Trader Vic's premixed Mai Tai so I was not disappointed-it's not bad for a premix! It's good to keep in your cabinet for a late night drink when you're just too damn lazy to make a real Mai Tai.

The Trader Vics' dark rum is also nice for the price. It's not too heavy with just a hint of cinnamon. It doesn't have the heavy 'bubblegum' flavor of the Hawaiian Dark Rum also sold at Trader Joe's.

Of course nothing, I mean nothing, comes close to a "BigBro World Famous Mai Tai".

I've been buying Trader Vic's Dark Rum for a few months now. I woulda said something about it here but I figured it was all over the rest of the country by the time it ended up in South Cackalakee.
My local store also carries a Trader Vic's Spiced Rum! Hmmmmmmmmmmm... Haven't tried that yet as I don't buy spiced rum very often.

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2003-06-24 22:51 ]

The verdict on the premixed Mai Tais? Not bad!

They are a bit sweeter than the real thing and don't contain nearly as much booze, but adding a shot of Jamaican rum took care of that problem. 8)

Traitor Vic wrote:
...My local store also carries a Trader Vic's Spiced Rum! Hmmmmmmmmmmm... Haven't tried that yet as I don't buy spiced rum very often.

TV~
I haven't seen the Spiced Rum in my area, only the Royal Amber and the Dark. Pictures of the 2 bottles are here on page 2 of the post.

Just tried the Vic's premix last night (thank you Atomic Cocktail) and yes, it was a bit on the sweet side, but after the ice melted down a bit - it was just perfect for a tired person at the end of the day.

Also, I heard that the new Trader Joes Dark rum is especially good when mixed with orange juice and drunk underneath singing birds. :wink:

L
laney posted on Wed, Jun 25, 2003 1:37 PM

Floratina, I believe brought a few bottles of the TV Mai Tai to the gathering at my pad a little while ago. The next day was nice and sunny, so I decided to try the remaining half bottle while floating around the pool. I made myself a tall glass over ice and started to blow up a new lounge pool float. I glance over at my drink, on the table, to see my Dobie, Stella, lapping away at the Mai Tai!

So dogs like it! I too thought it was pretty sweet and syrupy but not bad with extra rum. I know they should be on the rocks but it may lighten the stuff up if blended.

are there any trader joes on the west side that carry more than just the premixed?. Me needum mo rum.

I discovered the TV premixed mai tais last year while backpacking on Maui. It became a staple in my pack (augmented by a small flask of Demerara for a float and a couple of limes to sour it down), allowing me to enjoy an evening mai tai on the beach/in the jungle/on the floor of Haleakala without having to carry too much extra weight (I transferred the mai tais into a plastic bottle to lighten the load a bit). Sometimes I had to forego ice, but hell, a warm mai tai sipped in a jungle treehouse in Hana is better than a cold one most anyplace else...

I tried TV Mai Tai mix ... it seemed a bit off. I added a splash of Barbencourt, a splash of Angostura bitters and some fresh lime juice -- pour over ice and mmmmmmmm.

T

Tasted the Trader Vic's dark rum at a friend's house last night. Eccchh, gag, blech, arghh! This stuff is worse than Whaler's - and that's bad. Sweet with a strong chemical taste - sorta like what motor oil might taste like. What were they thinking?? I'll stick with Myers'! (I got the 1.5L bottle of Myers' at Long's recently for $16.99)

Pages: 1 19 replies