Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Nov. 2 & 3 exotica shows - Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica

Pages: 1 15 replies

MH

Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica presents its final, Fall concerts of exotica and global jazz on the east coast!

In Boston:
Fri, 2 Nov 2012 at 8:00 PM (4 weeks away)
Nave Gallery
155 Powderhouse Blvd
Clarendon Hill Presbyterian Church
Somerville, MA
Near Tufts. T: Red line to Davis Square. Park free @ West Somerville Neighborhood School on Raymond St. after 5pm.
Venue: 617.625.4823
Tickets: $15/adv, $5 deal for 18-and-under
Tickets and Details at http://orchestrotica.com/show.cfm?gig=238

In NYC:
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 at 8:00 PM (4 weeks away)
Barbes
376 9th St
Brooklyn, NY
Park Slope: F Train to 7th ST; R to 4th ave/9th St.
Price: $15/door
Details at http://orchestrotica.com/show.cfm?gig=233

ABOUT THE SHOW:
Boston’s Best World Music Act announces final 2012 concerts this November!

"…just about all the original stars of exotica...are gone -- here, at last, is their successor." --Huffington Post

Referencing the exotica of Martin Denny, Milt Raskin, Tchaikovsky, and Shostakovich among others, Mr. Ho’s, Orchestrotica--as a vibraphone quartet--presents an original third-stream collection of updated jazz, chamber, and world music reaching towards the South Pacific via Asia, the Middle East, the Balkans, and Latin America. Led by, multi-percussionist, vibraphonist and composer Brian O’Neill (Mr. Ho) the group normally features bass flute/woodwinds (Geni Skendo), percussion (NorikoTerada), and acoustic bass (Jason Davis). While the "deliciously demented and entertaining" Orchestrotica (The Wall Street Journal) does perform classics by the original artists of the exotica style, the group focuses on "serious jazz and chamber-music writing" (Boston Herald) written by O’Neill that is highly influenced by his fifteen-year career as a percussionist. The quartet often reinterprets classical melodies, improvising over them and adding exotic sounds from around the world leading AllAboutJazz to say, "...if John Zorn is an exotica Picasso, O’Neill is his Georges-Braque counterpart [and] may be, in the long run, a stronger exoticist than Zorn." In June 2011, they released their debut quartet CD, Third River Rangoon, which the Boston Phoenix called "...a rigorous classical-jazz hybrid..." and Lucid Culture called "...a lushly nocturnal collection ...genius."

The CD continues their Exotica for Modern Living series, which opened with The Unforgettable Sounds of Esquivel, their 23-pc big band formation performing the lost space-age pop music of Esquivel. The debut CD reached #4 on theCMJ jazz charts, was a Top Album for 2010 (AllAboutJazz) and received 4 stars from the Sunday London Times.

"...marvelously flexible unit..."--The Boston Globe

"...incredible musicianship..."--Downbeat

DOWNLOAD FREE MUSIC:
http://orchestrotica.com/mailinglist.cfm?ref=TC093012_fallconcerts

TM

Good stuff!

When are you coming out here to the left coast?

MH

Working on some stuff for 2013 Lucas! STay on our mailing list for the news (or get on it!) :wink: http://orchestrotica.com (top of the page!)

I didn't see this listed in Other events,
I think you should post there too,
as tiki music area doesn't get a lot of views.

have good shows,

Jeff(btd)

You're killing me! I'll be in SoCal that weekend!

TM

Looks like you have an "exotica girl" in the band! C'mom...come clean! Which one of you is she married to? :)

But seriously, I like this band and would come see you when you play in our neck of the woods!

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2012 8:57 AM

Thanks lucas. If you mean Noriko the hand percussionist, all I can say is that all personal personnel details arent public, sorry! :)

Mr
Ho

TM

Ha ha! I knew it! :)

good man!

(I have my own exotica girl at home...)

You must have a lot of classical training? So do I! (bassist...orange county symphony)

It's evident in your music. This is something the tiki scene needs more of!

I often tell people I really feel the roots of exotica can be found in classical music...from Rimsky-Korsakov "sheherazade" to Debussy "prelude to an afternoon of a faun" and even some of the beautiful pieces by bernstein "on the waterfront" to the psuedo crime-jazz of Copland " "music for a great city" "Connotations" and "inscape", the symphonies of Malcolm Arnold, William grant Still, etc also have some moments that feel like "exotica"...man, it's all there! Glad to see you doing what you do!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2012-10-01 12:53 ]

T

The fact that you are coming over to London there is no excuse for not playing there!( well apart from not having your instruments and the rest of the band?)

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2012 1:45 PM

Yea, the vibraphone is apparently not a carry-on anymore (WTF?) ! Airlines suck. Next thing you know, they won't let us take mobile mai tai construction kits on the plane. Oh wait...

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2012 1:54 PM

Lucas,

Yes, I studied piano seriously from age 4->18 or so. Around 7th grade I started on drums/percussion and didn't look back, ending up with a percussion performance degree (genre neutral, but heavy on orchestral and jazz drumming) from northern az university. (I'm from Phoenix!) :wink:

These days, I primarily perform on hybrid kits and hand percussion (I specialize in ethnic tambourines and cajon) , although in the quartet, I focus on vibes (I was the original vibist in WAITIKI fyi). I also play drumset occasionally (big bands, David Wax Museum), do some theatre/star attraction work in Boston (Donna Summer, Kristin Chenoweth etc), and occasional orchestral hits (too many to name!). I'm also 1 of 2 pianists in the Orchestrotica's Esquivel big band, doubling on percussion and I perform on piano/keys with CORDIS, a percussive chamber music quartet so the piano as of the last few years keeps creeping back into my life! It's good for writing/composing though and I still enjoy it as a side thing.

Videos/projects etc. at http://crashandboom.com

best,
Brian

We need to get your band booked further south - like down here in Florida.

TM

On 2012-10-01 13:54, Mr. Ho wrote:
Lucas,

Yes, I studied piano seriously from age 4->18 or so. Around 7th grade I started on drums/percussion and didn't look back, ending up with a percussion performance degree (genre neutral, but heavy on orchestral and jazz drumming) from northern az university. (I'm from Phoenix!) :wink:

These days, I primarily perform on hybrid kits and hand percussion (I specialize in ethnic tambourines and cajon) , although in the quartet, I focus on vibes (I was the original vibist in WAITIKI fyi). I also play drumset occasionally (big bands, David Wax Museum), do some theatre/star attraction work in Boston (Donna Summer, Kristin Chenoweth etc), and occasional orchestral hits (too many to name!). I'm also 1 of 2 pianists in the Orchestrotica's Esquivel big band, doubling on percussion and I perform on piano/keys with CORDIS, a percussive chamber music quartet so the piano as of the last few years keeps creeping back into my life! It's good for writing/composing though and I still enjoy it as a side thing.

Videos/projects etc. at http://crashandboom.com

best,
Brian

That "Third river rangoon" video is insanely good!

MH

Mahalo sir!

MH

Quick update on the shows this weekend given Sandy's visit to our hood. We are still on! See http://orchestrotica.com/newsletters.cfm?

S

On 2012-10-01 08:57, Mr. Ho wrote:
Thanks lucas. If you mean Noriko the hand percussionist, all I can say is that all personal personnel details arent public, sorry! :)

Mr
Ho

i don't blame you sir. she's pretty dy-no-mite

Pages: 1 15 replies