Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Most underrated cocktail inventor

Pages: 1 25 replies

A

I am saddened that there isn't more appreciation of Kahuna Kevin's cocktails on this website. Last
Night some friends and I had the following:

Irish Nutjob, morphine bowl, 151 gun swizzle, Roswell '47, Holo Holo Lolo, and the Ratbasher.

ALL were amazing and unique.

I just thought he needs more recognition.

Anestiki

He does. PICS!!!!

Well you never had one of my "Vulcan Mind Melds"

On 2012-10-05 05:20, Anestiki wrote:
ALL were amazing and unique. I just thought he needs more recognition.

Ok, you got me to run online and by Vol 1 and Vol 2. Vol 1 has been on my "want list" since a Hukilau a few years ago, but I already own a huge number of under-used cocktail recipe books and I'm short on shelf space on my bar, so I've been putting it off. But they are SPIRAL BOUND so I will only splash stuff onto a single page instead of two... :) I'm looking forward to the recipes - it's always fun to try new stuff. Time to schedule a cocktail party at the house - SOON!

S

Completely agree with you Anestiki. Unfortunately i cannot make very many of the drinks Kahuna Kevin has created as most of the ingredients are just not available to me here in Australia, however, when the second volume came out i bought an extra copy for a friend who works in one Australias best bars (they win awards just about every year in various categories) and we made 4 or 5 drinks from it substituting ingredients where we had to and every one was amazing. All the bartenders at the bar were quite impressed themselves, with one drink going upstairs for a couple of them to sample and coming back empty.

Also, i actually spent a day with Kevin at his house on my recent trip to the U.S. and got to try another 6 or 7 drinks which were all extremely good and would have to say that even though i visited quite a few Tiki bars on my trip, the best tropical cocktails that i had would probably have been Kevins.

P.S. Good choice with the Ratbasher (page 36 in volume 2). A custom drink made for me in a custom mug i made for him. :D

[ Edited by: swizzle 2012-10-05 18:51 ]

[ Edited by: swizzle 2012-10-05 18:53 ]

Lies! All lies!!!

Hey, Kevin, you got your very own thread! :)

BTW Ace your books went out this afternoon. Many thanks!

Visit KahunaKevin.com and scroll down for the live Facebook updates and a few unpublished recipes made after Vol. 2.

And thanks to Robbie for this post, stopping by my place during your busy trip schedule and drinkin' like a champ at 12-Noon before we headed out "to go drinkin'" haha!

Mahalo everyone! -KK

Yup, thanks Kevin, I saw the notification from Amazon a few minutes ago. Dang, you're speedy! Should have asked you to personalize them for me, I didn't think about it... Every review I've seen leads me to believe there will be gold in them thar books... Can't wait for them to arrive.

I just posted the unpublished Phantom Tiki single serving recipe and 2 gallon 40+ serving "party version" on my Facebook page. Cheers! -KK

And much thanks to Anestiki! Robbie Swizzle sent me the link to this thread and I thought he created it, mybad!

So yeah, his drinks are amazing! My husband and I have been priviledged to try many of his concoctions, the new Phantom Tiki will rock your inner Rumologist like no other. He always surprises with unique flavors, combinations and secretly sneaking absinthe into our rum drinks. I honestly can't say enough about how diverse his drinks are and how fun to re-create for others, our liquor cabinet looks very differently now than it did before the first book came out, just because we never realized the depth of enjoyment you could reach with quality ingredients and recipes. No more rum and rootbeer, even the standard grog has been upgraded, and we love it! Kahuna Kevin, drink on, our glasses are forever full when you have a new cocktail in mind!

A

So, when is volume 3 coming out?

Anestiki

P

When you add Vol. 1 to the cart then try to add Vol. 2, it just replaces 1 with 2. It will just keep swapping them out and not let you add both. Do the entire orders have to be done seperately?

Hmmm something is screwy. Try doing separate orders for now and add a note, sorry my host keeps updating their page builder app and I think it's messing with the older Paypal code I'm using.

HT

And as soon as I get paid, I'll be ordering one and two.

On 2012-10-05 19:56, Kahuna Kevin wrote:
BTW Ace your books went out this afternoon. Many thanks!

Got the books in yesterday's mail, took a brief look. WOW! Then took 'em to work to look some more and share with co-workers. The books are worth buying just for the humorous drink titles and the comments! Had many of us at work laughing out loud and longing to make many of the recipes mentioned. The recipes are complex and very tasty sounding - generally lots of ingredients - I can't even begin to imagine how costly and fun the R&D was. I have a decently well-stocked bar, and I see that I have to go shopping for even more rums and syrups after I make some decisions on which drinks to start with. (I'm not complaining.) The Bac-O-Tini is intriguing...

Kevin, very nice job with the printing -- the high-gloss finish makes the pages very durable and spill resistant, I'm very pleased and impressed. The spiral binding is also awesome. Overall a great value and a quality product which supports (and encourages) the use of quality rums and freshest possible ingredients.

My conclusion - prior to mixing any of the drinks - "Thar be fun in them thar pages!" Add these books to your birthday and Christmas wish lists NOW... Not for the faint-of-heart with minimalist bars. Ideal for those seeking adventure and who seek to expand their collection of quality rums and mixers and impress their friends. Perfect way to help Kevin recover what must have been a massive R&D expenditure, not to mention the wear-and-tear on his liver.

Thanks for the preview feedback. Please post your final reviews here and on Amazon.com for both books in a few months.

A

Congratulations, Kevin!

Winner of Best Cocktail for Tiki Oasis, 2014 ---- Headless Zombie!

Is there a Headless Zombie recipe available???

On 2014-08-19 10:12, ickytiki wrote:
Is there a Headless Zombie recipe available???

The Headless Zombie is in my first cocktail book: http://www.KahunaKevin.com

And thanks Anestiki!!! Had a blast, looking forward to 2015 and serving 4 gallons of a drink from my 3rd book. -KK

Just ordered my copy of Volume 3 along with very cool Kahuna Kevin tiki mugs made by Tiki Diablo.

Let the fun begin!

On 2015-07-16 13:48, AceExplorer wrote:
Just ordered my copy of Volume 3 along with very cool Kahuna Kevin tiki mugs made by Tiki Diablo.

Let the fun begin!

Thanks Ace!! Your book shipped tonight, Ltd. art poster will likely go out Friday or Saturday (I'm out of mailing tubes - oops!). Mugs, I'm waiting for word from Tiki Diablo, should know in a couple days on the ETA. Yes I will sign them for you, just will take a bit longer to get due to Tiki Diablo having to send them my way first to sign repackage and mail. Will be 2 separate boxes, I don't like to mail breakables together (I'll eat the extra costs).

(Just realized my banner below is way out of date, my books are rebranded to Kahuna Kevin's Tiki Cocktails Vol. I -III, new logo and black covers, same great content!)

PS as of today I have 3 Blue mugs and 9 Green left to sell. Order now to get on the backorder list, cause they're gonna disappear soon. Only 25 of each color. Sorry for the long production waits, but it'll be worth it, promise!

Thanks for supporing an independent mixologist, author & publisher!
Official Website: http://www.KahunaKevin.com

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2015-07-16 19:19 ]

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2015-07-16 19:23 ]

Thanks, Kevin, I'm looking forward to receiving these. Didn't realize that Tiki Diablo drop ships them for you -- I'd be happy to cover the additional cost. Those really are limited edition mugs - 25 of each is very cool.

I remember back when I ordered volumes 1 and 2 that your customer service and shipping was awesome. You (and your liver) rock.

Cheers!

On 2015-07-16 19:55, AceExplorer wrote:
Thanks, Kevin, I'm looking forward to receiving these. Didn't realize that Tiki Diablo drop ships them for you -- I'd be happy to cover the additional cost. Those really are limited edition mugs - 25 of each is very cool.

I remember back when I ordered volumes 1 and 2 that your customer service and shipping was awesome. You (and your liver) rock.

Cheers!

Thanks! Yes I'm still a one man operation, so if you email or purchase something, I send a message or reply usually within minutes to update on shipping estimates.

got my first Kahuna Kevin book, can't wait to test them out this weekend!!

Pages: 1 25 replies