Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Hukilau 2013 Official Thread and Announcement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies

Aloha, Hukilau 2013 Passengers!

We are proud to announce that tickets are now on sale for HUKILAU 2013 and you may now book your stateroom aboard the Yankee Clipper!

http://www.thehukilau.com

Join us for a fabulous vintage weekend of Polynesian Pop paradise, as we sail away on an adventure full of Tiki, rum-soaked cocktails, sunshine, music, the glorious Mai-Kai, mermaids and more. Whether you're relaxed and lazy or livin' it up, The Hukilau has just the right brand of fun for you! Experience The Yankee Clipper with its sunny decks, our beautifully decorated Tiki Treasures Bazaar, air conditioned state rooms and a fantastic swimming pool! Grab a friend and a cocktail for our many activities such as a Savage Live Tiki Carving, Hip Swaying Hula Lessons, Cocktail Symposiums, Taboo Tattoo Tales, Shuffleboard Shenanigans and much, much more!!

We are now ready to schedule your reservations for the Yankee Clipper (The Sheraton Beach Hotel). Just follow the link below! Our rate with the Clipper starts at an affordale $119 per night! The Official Hukilau Welcome Aboard Bags will only be given to those guests that stay at the Yankee Clipper.

We look forward to setting sail with you June 6-9, 2013!

HT

I wanted to book the second I got the email. The wahine said no. I said by the end of the month.

Hopefully I'll win.

i hope you win too :)

MM

My wife and I have booked a room on board the Yankee Clipper and purchased tickets! Anyone else from San Diego goin?

Glad to have you guys aboard Mike! Will be a stellar year!!

Tiki Tower will be vending again! Looking forward to my 3rd Hukilau!

Still, no swank bastards?

Mahalo, Tiki Tower!!! We can't wait to see all your treasures!

HT

I posted a long message that somehow got lost, so I'll make it brief.

Your site has been hijacked since at least the announcement t. I've used tons of different devices, phones, tablets, desktops, laptops, and it's always something different. Might want to check on that.

Also, I'm still sad that I didn't end up getting the mai tai glasses.

However, I am very, very excited to finally come down for my first Hukilau! Huzzah!!

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2012-11-26 13:51 ]

Hi Hale Tiki,

We have high security on the site. If you are seeing some type of problem please send a screenshot to [email protected] so we can check it out on our end. Thanks so much!

Glad you'll be joining us this year!!

T

Barb and I want to make this great event this year.
Fingers crossed.

I just love that logo.

I was looking at old Hukilau mugs, and I can't WAAAAAIIIITTTT to see the 2013 mug!!! January can't come fast enough to find out more!

F

Just booked my hotel stay at the Clipper. Can't wait!!

P

surf soul tiki will be there...

carving, vending, and drinking.

is the hukilau dog friendly? lol...

Aloha Hukilau passengers (and potential passengers),

The updated TheHukilau.com website launched today and a new Travel Bulletin was distributed with lots of new info about the event.

Here are the highlights. The Hukilau 2013 in Fort Lauderdale on June 6-9 will include:

• The First U.S. appearance by Ìxtahuele, an exotica band from Sweden.

• Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica Quartet from Boston.

• The Hula Girls from California.

• The Intoxicators from Tallahassee.

• Ding Dong Devils from California.

• An all new symposium by Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, "The Wild West Indies."

• Harold Golen Gallery presents "Bunny Yeager: The Mai-Kai Girls" – Never before seen vintage photos from Bunny's archives of photos taken of the Molokai Girls and the Mystery Girl.

The full premiere of "Plastic Paradise," a documentary filmed at The Hukilau and other various locations by Common Machine with art direction by Kevin Kidney.

"Tales of the Yankee Clipper" by TikiTomD, a symposium that takes us on a journey through the history of the Yankee Clipper and its place in Polynesian Pop history.

Plus: Live tiki carving on Fort Lauderdale beach, two chances to see Marina the Mermaid swim throughout the weekend, a new mug by Tiki Diablo, a new symposium by Tattoo historian Paul Roe, a new symposium by Gary Moss on the history of the Hawaiian shirt, pin-up packages for her/him, plus much, much more!

Go to http://www.thehukilau.com for all the latest info, including details on how to buy tickets and book your state room at the Yankee Clipper now!

Check out The Atomic Grog's full preview of all the festivities:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/01/11/the-hukilau-releases-schedule-updated-website-for-this-junes-tiki-bash-in-fort-lauderdale/

Which band are you most excited to see?

Ìxtahuele
Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica Quartet
The Ding Dong Devils
The Hula Girls
The Intoxicators
Gold Dust Lounge

Need another reason to book your room at the Yankee Clipper now? You'll probably never get a savings like this: The Hukilau rate is $119 per night (double occupancy). I just checked the hotel's website, and the lowest rate for June 6-9 is $239 per night. You can't beat that deal.

Click here for more info:
http://www.thehukilau.com/2013/accommodations

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2013-01-14 09:16 ]

R

Been checking out the sounds of Ìxtahuele (hit youtube) - headphones on and the spirit of Martin Denny and other exotica greats is present. Cannot wait.

Just checked my calendar again and hmm it's still 2/9/2013. June will be here soon enough!

Jason "RhumStorm" Murphy

[ Edited by: rhumstorm 2013-02-10 06:41 ]

The schedule has been updated to include Sunday, June 9, and the premiere of "Plastic Paradise," the highly anticipated documentary filmed at The Hukilau and other Tiki locations.

http://www.thehukilau.com/2013/schedule

went to the Hukilau site and it has been hacked as of this morning
please let those who are running it know so I can get tickets

We are working on things now. Thank you!!

RL

The Ding Dong Devils are soooo looking forward to Hukilau 2013!! Yahoo!!!! We'll be parched by the time the tour wagon rolls into town.

URGENT TELEGRAM: Yankee Clipper SOLD OUT!

Attention Villagers of The Hukilau, The Yankee Clipper (Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel) is now SOLD OUT! If you have not made reservations at this time but wanted to stay at the Clipper please send an email to Tiki Kiliki at [email protected] and she can place you on the cancellation list.

GOOD NEWS: There's another hotel next door to the Clipper: The Best Western Oceanside that is taking reservations. Please do not go through the online system but call the hotel directly at 954-525-8115!!

I need a ride to New Port Richey area from The Hukilau on Sunday, June 9th. Will help with travel expenses. Mahalo

[ Edited by: mermaid1111 2013-03-15 15:29 ]

MH

Hi everyone,

We apologize to anyone who bought tickets, but unfortunately Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica will not be performing at the Hukilau this year as planned. Please direct any inquiries to the Hukilau festival directly. Apologies and thanks for spreading the word,

Mr. Ho

HT

On 2013-03-23 09:59, Mr. Ho wrote:
Hi everyone,

We apologize to anyone who bought tickets, but unfortunately Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica will not be performing at the Hukilau this year as planned. Please direct any inquiries to the Hukilau festival directly. Apologies and thanks for spreading the word,

Mr. Ho

You will be missed.

...but unfortunately Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica will not be performing at the Hukilau this year as planned.

Bummer! I was really looking forward to seeing you guys.

MH

Sorry, hale and ace!. I hope you can catch us elsewhere. We have a mailing list if you want to stay in touch at http://orchestrotica.com/mailinglist.cfm

Hi everyone,

Mr. Ho

I'm sorry to hear!! But I'm looking forward to see your show next time, visiting the states!

Here's some news that hasn't been posted yet ...

The Hukilau Art Show, Bon Voyage: Sailing the South Seas, is shaping up! Curated by Tiki Kiliki the proceeds of this show will benefit the Abandoned Pet Rescue in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Artists participating are: Lisa Petrucci, Doug Horne, Brad Tiki-Shark Parker, Dawn Frasier, Eric October, Thor Art, Junkhauler, Mookie Sato, Amore Hirosuke, Rod North, El Gato Gomez, Mateo, Jeff Chouinard, Robert Jimenez, Chris Chapman, Brian Potash, Nicholas Dewey, Dart Daughtery, Vikki Vadden, Vena and hopefully more.

Plus, live portraits painted by Erin Chainani (Erin captured portraits of attendees at Tiki Oasis 2012 too!)

Opening Reception on Thursday June 6, 2013 at 5:00pm to Clipper Guests and 6:00pm for all Attendees!

The Hukilau is proud to welcome its newest sponsor ...

DEADHEAD RUM!

http://deadheadrum.com
http://www.facebook.com/DeadheadRum

Coming soon: Details on a special cocktail contest with Deadhead that will take place on The Hukilau's Facebook page.

Details on The Hukilau's Deadhead Rum Cocktail Contest are now posted on the official Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/thehukilau

The winner will receive:

• A "Headhunter's Ritual" at The Hukilau on Friday, June 7.
  • A $150 gift certificate to The Mai-Kai.
  • A complete set of The Hukilau 2013 glassware.

You must be a paid ticket-holder for The Hukilau to enter.

The winning drink will be served at The Hukilau official after party on Friday, June 7, at midnight.

The final three contestants will be chosen by Monday, April 8, so get those entries in soon.

Here's the latest info on the art show ...

Plus, check out this update on The Atomic Grog with all the latest news:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/04/09/the-hukilau-announces-new-art-show-entertainers-more-updates-for-tiki-fest-in-june/

We received lots of entries for the Deadhead Rum contest. We're busy mixing up the cocktails and will announce the final three next week.

I know it's not likely, but I am looking for 3 tickets to the Clipper. Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if for some reason you cannot go to the event. Thanks guys and gals! If not I'll definitely be getting an all-access pass to enjoy the shenanigans!

Had to show off some of the hard work done this weekend judging the entrants in the Hukilau drink contest:

What an awful, terrible job it must have been for you all. How ever did you do it? :)

RL

The Ding Dong Devils have got two more stops before we roll into Ft. Lauderdale, but we're already excited as all get out about hanging out and playing at the Yankee Clipper and the Mai Kai for Hukilau 2013!! We're also looking forward to soaking up all the other action such as Ixtahule, the Intoxicators, the Hula Girls, Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, "Bunny Yeager - the Mai Kai Girls," Marina the Mermaid, the Artists Reception, etc., etc., etc. Yahoo!!

Our three Deadhead Rum Cocktail Contest finalists have until May 3 to post their creations on The Hukilau's Facebook page for everyone to check out. Mahalo and congratulations to John Tremain and Matt Anderson, David McCauley, and "Lucky the Painproof Man." Wish them luck!

EJ

Nice work Hale Tiki!!!

HT

Thanks El Jefe!

And thank you to the folks at The Hukilau and Deadhead Rum!

Q

I received my package yesterday as well. I'm excited to start experimenting.

VERY nice pic Hale!! Two shrunken thumbs up.

Cheers and Aloha!

HT

You too Q-tiki! I'm looking forward to trying all three recipes, to see what all we came up with! =)

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-04-24 08:08 ]

The Hukilau is proud to present the official pendant for 2013 ...

Another Barney West interpretation of a Tiki found in the gardens at The Mai-Kai. Chris Chapman of Tiki65 is responsible for this creation. Amazing job! Limited edition of 150.

Also recently announced:

A sneak peek of The Hukilau glassware for 2013: A toast to Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid. Designs by Mookie Sato. Produced by South Pacific Promotions.

And to pay tribute to Trader Vic's, The Hukilau presents this iconic coconut mug for 2013. Limited to 150.

Merchandise will be available for pre-sale to ticket holders only beginning next week.

And don't forget the official event mug by Tiki Diablo, aka Danny Gallardo. He just shared this photo of the final sculpt ...

Danny says he's thinking of doing two colors with a never-before-done feature added. Stay tuned!

HT

Everything. Looks. AWESOOOOOOOME! Really, to all the artists involved, you've all outdone yourselves this year. These are some fantastic designs, but extremely talented artists.

T

Glad to see Tiki Diablo will be in the Huki house this year.
Will be great to see you again Danny.
Great job on the mug.

THUD! Jaw hits floor! :o

Incredible Danny!

Long live the Mai-Kai! :D

HT

Here's the latest image of the first mug pulled from the mold. It'ls going to be a hell of a mug!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies