Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Hukilau 2013 Official Thread and Announcement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies

RL

The official pendant and the official mug look like total must haves!!! The Ding Dong Devils might have to ditch the tour bus and charter a plane so we don't risk breaking down in Oklahoma and having to hitch hike to Ft. Lauderdale. It would be a shame to be told "The last pendant and mug were just sold!"

All three finalists in the Deadhead Rum Cocktail Contest have posted their recipes and photos on Facebook. Check 'em out and post your likes and comments while we sample the drinks and select a winner.

https://www.facebook.com/thehukilau

From Q-tiki (David McCauley)
Jungle Fogg ...

From John Tremain & Matt Anderson
Tukupi's Cup ...

And from Hale Tiki (Lucky the Painproof Man)
Kulau Kapu ...

After much deliberation, we have a winner of our Deadhead Rum Cocktail Contest ....

It's John Tremain & Matt Anderson for their tasty creation, Tukupi's Cup! Mahalo and congratulations!

Here's the winning recipe:

TUKUPI'S CUP

2 fl oz Deadhead® Rum

3/4 fl oz Lime Juice

1/4 fl oz Passion Fruit Syrup (1:1 mix of passion fruit pulp and rich simple syrup)

2 tsp. Maple Syrup (Grade B)

Healthy squirt (2 dashes) Bittermens Elemakule Tiki® Bitters

Shake ingredients with two cups crushed ice and pour unstrained into a double old fashioned glass or vessel of similar capacity. Garnish with three Deluxe Foods sour cherries, an orange twist, and thinly sliced lemon and lime wheels.

The drink name is our nod to , legendary shaman and elder from the clan of the Jivaro tribe. These fierce warriors, who once reigned terror over the jungles of Ecuador and Peru, proclaimed their dominance and appeased their ancestors after battle by shrinking and preserving the heads (Tukupi) of their human conquests.

Mixologists: John Tremain and Matt Anderson

On 2013-05-06 10:52, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
2 tsp. Maple Syrup (Grade B)
...and appeased their ancestors after battle by shrinking and preserving the heads (Tukupi) of their human conquests.

You made me go to Wikipedia to look up the difference between Grade A and Grade B maple syrup, and then also how shrunken heads are made. I'll stick to the maple syrup, thank you... :)

T

So mrs butterworths is no good?
Why is it all the new drinks that come out have stuff that is
way hard to find, or things you may use twice in your life.
"two drops monkey jizum extract"

Rum+Coke+lime add ice=Drink
For a sweeter drink add Kayro or Sugar Pops.

hey, just caught this ans I have to say that I am way excited about this mug. I have nailed one color and am dialing in the second color. The mug has a very cool coaster that makes this come alive! Stay tuned.

The top three drink recipes have been posted on The Atomic Grog for posterity (and easy reference):

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/05/08/the-hukilau-crowns-winner-of-deadhead-rum-cocktail-contest/

Note that if you can't find Deadhead in your area, just substitute Bacardi 8 or a similarly aged, crisp and dry rum. In the winning recipe, Angostura is a fine substitute for Bittermens. Aside from those and some of the garnishes, all of the other ingredients in the drinks should be easy to find for any self-respecting Tiki mixologist :>)

The official blog of The Hukilau

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2013-05-08 08:26 ]

T

Will Deadhead be for sale at Hukilau?
Is it for sale in Fla now?
I do want to buy some.

The thing is I got a whole Tiki drink book full of recipes That all
have way out ingredients.
And I have a pretty well stocked bar.
These people who have these rums I would think would want drinks people
that do not have tons of ingredients to work with.
Thus making their booze more easy for the average person to work with, use.

Congratz to the winners!!
I do want to try all of the drinks.

PS you can substitute Cap'n Crunch for Sugar Pops in my drink as well.
"any self-respecting Tiki mixologist :>)"
This too maybe my problem I just pour drinks, in more of a loathsome way.:)

HT

@tikiskip: mmm, rummy sugar pops.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, May 9, 2013 8:46 AM

On 2013-05-08 14:08, tikiskip wrote:
I do want to buy some.

The thing is I got a whole Tiki drink book full of recipes That all
have way out ingredients.
And I have a pretty well stocked bar.
These people who have these rums I would think would want drinks people
that do not have tons of ingredients to work with.
Thus making their booze more easy for the average person to work with, use.

Congratz to the winners!!
I do want to try all of the drinks.

PS you can substitute Cap'n Crunch for Sugar Pops in my drink as well.
"any self-respecting Tiki mixologist :>)"
This too maybe my problem I just pour drinks, in more of a loathsome way.:)

Yeah, you won't be ordering this drink at the Applebee's any time soon. That's why the Derby Daiquiri became such a success. Every bar in America could make it. Check out David McCauley's recipe. It is easy to make and very tasty. It was the winner in our tastings.

"Jungle Fogg"

In a shaker add...
2oz deadhead 6 year cask aged
1/2oz Lemon Hart 151
1/2oz blue Curacao
1/2oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2oz fresh squeezed white grapefruit juice
1oz fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2oz vanilla syrup (I used homemade)
1 & 1/4 tsp of Dons Mix (I used BG Reynolds)

Add 1/2 cup of crushed ice and shake thoroughly. Pour into high ball glass and add crushed ice to fill. Garnish with a long cinnamon stick piercing a quarter lemon wedge (pulp removed)

Still need the cinnamon syrup to make it, and vanilla syrup may also be obscure for the typical hi-ball bar.

On 2013-05-08 14:08, tikiskip wrote:
I do want to buy some.

tikiskip, according to a recent Deadhead press release, the rum is or will soon be available in: AZ, CA, GA, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OK, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, and WA.

Also, check this link: http://deadheadrum.com/wp/where-to-buy/#!/

I'm not sure if it will actually be fore sale at The Hukilau, but I would at least hope we'll see lots of samples.

And like I said earlier, it's close enough to Bacardi 8 that you can just substitute that. It's very tough for new rums to get a foothold in the market. Distribution can be difficult. I still find it nearly impossible to find Lemon Hart 151 in Florida, nearly a year after it's official release.

We're still looking for volunteers to help out with many aspects of this year's event.

Remember, volunteering earns you discounts on passes.

Respond directly via e-mail to [email protected]

Hey thanks for the info.
"but I would at least hope we'll see lots of samples"
That's good but I mostly want the bottle.

It's very helpful that Deadhead Rum has a very unique bottle -- gotta expect that alone will give it quite a bit more appeal to the masses and might be enough to help incorporate it permanently into the rum landscape.

I can't remember tasting Bacardi 8 but will make certain to try it. I've seen Bacardi 8 show up in a number of recipes from mixologists-of-note.

I've left a few comments on the Deadhead Rum web site asking about selling it in Florida. It takes time to produce enough to meet demand and get it into the distribution channels. We can only hope they started making enough way back 6 years ago, otherwise we will have to wait for production and aging to meet the developing demand. Word seems to be getting out, though. And friends who have tasted it at my bar like it.

Deadhead Rum is an Official Vendor and they will be selling their Rum at the event!!

Hoo-ray!

The Hula Girls are REALLY looking forward to playing our first Hukilau!
We're super excited to see the MaiKai too! Can't wait!

Can't wait for Hukilau! Have lots of work to do. I'll have some original paintings, along with prints, my mugs and some of these Tangaroa wall mounts among other stuff!

Hey Spike hope to meet you at Hukilau.
The sign you made us got here, It's awesome!
Are you going to bring some other signs with you?
Great job!

More photos here.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18485&forum=18&start=last&673

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-05-20 10:05 ]

RL

There are only 16 more days until Hukilau 2013... but who's counting??!!! The Ding Dong Devils are practically vibrating with excitement!

(photo by David Gene Echt)

MM

I see Tiki Diablo will be selling the event mugs beginning tomorrow. I am not sure if the mug is included with the vip ticket I purchased. Can someone please let me know? Thanks! I would hate to miss out on a great mug like that!

Moai Mike

Moai Mike, if you are attending The Hukilau and didn't receive an email about purchasing a mug PM me!!

The mug is now available to the general public!

• It's is 8.5 inches tall and holds about 13 ounces.
  • It comes with a faux lava rock coaster and LED light!
  • There are two colors, Sausalito Brown and Redwood Ember.
  • There's just 100 of each color, so order now!

Here's the link to purchase: http://tikidiablo.com/hukilau/

Tiki Diablo has out-done himself on this one. Now I want lights on all my mugs.

Here's a peek at some more of the official merch for The Hukilau that hasn't already been posted on this thread ...

The final Coconut Mug, logo by Kevin Kidney (Limited to 150) ...

The return of the Snifter Glass (perfect for the Black Magic or Mutiny) in a very limited release of 40 ...

And the official T-shirt logo design ...

Go back a couple pages on this thread for photos of the pendant (inspired by the same Barney West giant Tiki in The Mai-Kai Garden that Tiki Diablo based the mug on).

Also available is the previously released Florida Glassware and California Glassware (double old fashioned glasses with vintage artwork and logos) plus a new Hukilau/Mai-Kai Pillow Cover featuring the fabric designed by Shag in 2010.

And, if you're staying at the Yankee Clipper, you'll find this cool keepsake in your goodie bag to add to your matchbook collection ...

Attendees have been given a special link to order in advance. Everything that doesn't sell will also be available at The Hukilau merch booth in the Tiki Treasures Bazaar. For the first time, the bazaar will be free and open to the general public on Saturday afternoon.

All merchandise is intended for pick-up at the event. Only if merchandise is left over after the event will it again be offered online and shipped.

We've also neglected to mention the newest sponsors in this space. Please welcome:

Ron Diplomatico aged rum from Venezuala, which will be featured in Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's symposium and in special cocktails at The Mai-Kai throughout the weekend.

Look for Angostura Rum and Bitters in the Tiki Treasures Bazaar, where brand ambassador David Delaney will be mixing special cocktails on Friday afternoon.

Barritt's Ginger Beer will be featured in cocktails Thursday and Friday evenings in the Tiki Treasures Bazaar.

And don't forget all the previously announced sponsors: Deadhead Rum, Fee Brothers, The Mai-Kai, Tropic magazine, Tiki Magazine, and South Pacific Promotions.

TikiSkip, I'm glad that sign worked out for you! Looks great against the color of your house!
And no, I won't be bringing any signs to the event to sell, I already have to deal with getting our merch and my big hollowbody guitar out there! Wish I could though!

T

Ok Spike,
Just want to tell all what a pleasure it was to work with you, and
what a great job you did.
Even with all of the demands we made of you.
Will buy your band merch then, 3 XL?

Hey on a side note here are just a few of the lights I will be selling at Hukilau.
Going to have I think over 30 lights. (12 float style: Red, Yellow, Blue, green, 4 inch to 12 inches)
Will also have T shirts 3 XL and smaller sizes.
Going to have stuff in price ranges of $2.00 to ($300.00 Kahiki table)
Was going to bring one Kahiki table don't know if a person would be able to get this home.
I paid $400.00 for the one in my bar. (but then I got to walk through the restaurant and pick a big one)
It is the best thing I have in my home bar, when I sit at it I can feel all of the birthdays, break ups, make ups, and more if these tables could talk.
Tables are about 3 foot by 4 foot 2 inches thick rare Koa wood. (is there interest? should I bring more?)
I will be by the restrooms on the back wall of the bar,so stops by and say hi.

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

Wow. Koa is an expensive wood—even at $400 that table is probably underpriced. Wish I was local!

T

And they are one piece so they came from a HUGE tree.
I don't think you can harvest this wood anymore.

P

so yeah, I am excited and a little nervous about doing my first hukilau...

I have never been, so I have no idea what happens or pretty much anything...

but I will be there with some of my associates, and I'll have some big tikis with me...

and I think I'm still doing the live carve on friday unless that was canceled or something...

look forward to seeing some of you there...

On 2013-05-26 16:43, tikiskip wrote:
And they are one piece so they came from a HUGE tree.
I don't think you can harvest this wood anymore.

It's still harvested but it's all managed. It's still the preferred wood for high-end ukuleles, and adds hundreds of dollars to the cost—and that's just enough for an ukulele!

Also see:

https://www.martinandmacarthur.com/

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-26 18:46 ]

T

Thanks fer postin TikiTacky
That uke is made of Curly Koa and would be high dollar.
But.. It looks like I may be off in my pricing $7000.00 for a desk?
And that desk is a veneer you could make two of those desks with this table top.
I will bring two of the table tops to Hukilau.
They do not have the bases, bases can be found at any restaurant supply house.

The curly koa uke is definitely high dollar. I think it's around $4,000? Made by DeVine Guitars.

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-26 21:54 ]

Official Mug update from Tiki Diablo:

"We still have red mugs, but not a whole lot. The brown mugs are now sold out!"

Get 'em while you can: http://tikidiablo.com/hukilau/

And in case you haven't heard:

All symposium seats are sold out. Standing-room-only passes will be sold at the event.

Deadhead say " Bookie llugga wiiki lalla uggi gui uggi" come find me at the Hukilau. I will be giving out samples to taste my magical nectar on Friday from 11am - 3pm ... and you can enter my raffle to take a bottle of me home!! See u soon .. find my keeper Sammy Velvet and he may have a special surprise for you!! Ugga Ugga!!

T

Welcome Sammy Velvet,
My booth is right behind the bar and near the restrooms.
Good spot as I can put it down and get rid of it in a few short steps either way.
If the rum is half as cool as the packaging it's a win.
Want to make a light using that way cool bottle.
See you there.

Tikiskip, Sammy Velvet, Deadhead -- will see you all there! I'm coming out a day early to just sit and relax on Fort Lauderdale Beach and enjoy the crystal-clear water before we all crank up the Hukilau fun. Can't wait!

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's symposium has been moved from Friday at the Yankee Clipper to Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at The The Mai-Kai. This made it necessary to move the "Tales of the Yankee Clipper" symposium from Saturday to Friday at 4 p.m.

Also, a few events on Saturday are now earlier: The Gary Moss symposium will now be at 11:30 a.m., Marina's last swim will be at 12:30, and the Nani Maka and Bunny Yeager autograph signing will be at 1 p.m.

Also, it was previously announced that standing-room symposium tickets would be made available, but this plan has been dropped. No more symposium tickets will be sold. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please note that this only affects the four symposiums. There are still plenty of general event tickets on sale.

And we just just added this to Friday's schedule:

Live Tiki Carving on Fort Lauderdale Beach with Jeff Chouinard & Friends. Location: Yankee Clipper Beachside Building Deck on the Beach.

The schedule page on the official site is now up to date: http://thehukilau.com/2013/schedule-of-events/

Also, check out this comprehensive recap of all the recent additions and updates on The Atomic Grog blog ... http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/05/29/the-hukilau-gears-up-for-vintage-tiki-weekend-with-exclusive-merchandise-new-sponsors-and-added-entertainment/

Among the highlights:

Deadhead Rum will be hosting The Hukilau’s Official After Party at The Mai-Kai on Thursday, June 6, from 9 p.m. to midnight. There will be special Deadhead Rum cocktails served all night by guest mixologists from New York City, including the winning drink from The Hukilau’s recent contest for attendees. The Intoxicators are also performing in The Molokai.

Tattoo Magazine will be attending and will be looking for Tiki-themed tattoos to photograph. In a reprise from last year, Paul Roe will also be giving a special tattoo to Tiki Kiliki on Friday morning. The magazine will record the event and also photograph villagers and their body ink between 10 a.m. and noon.

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid has added a third performance: A pearl diving show at 11:30 p.m Friday.

For the first time in The Hukilau’s history, the Tiki Treasures Bazaar will be free and open to the general public for all six hours on Saturday.

Beachbum Berry will have 100 pre-releases of his new Navy Grog Ice Cone Molds for sale and will be autographing boxes after his symposium. This unique product, manufactured by Cocktail Kingdom, will be making its world premiere at The Hukilau.

A seventh band has been added to the schedule: The NovaRays, an Orlando-based instrumental surf trio. Look for them at The Mai-Kai on Saturday. Saturday's Main Event lineup at The Mai-Kai also includes Ìxtahuele, The Ding Dong Devils, The Hula Girls, and The Intoxicators.

HT

What?! Ice Cone Maker! I gotta get me one!

"Koopio lakka lilo wooga nuka uai" Deadhead say " We have much good time ... Hukilau be much happy time .. we eat .. we drink .. we dance"

This will be my 2nd visit to Hukilau and my first time vending. Here are a few of the ceramics I'll have.

HT

Dig em, Johnnie!

EJ

Nice Mr. Velour!!

Atending, not vending. Not enough time to ship anything BUT if you want me to bring you something I can make a delivery. I'll be there first thing Thursday morning. PM me if you want me to bring you a print of my Tiki Mag cover, or a shirt or hand bag listed in my etys shop.
Dawn

T

Hey Hukilau people I will bring rattan so I can affix Rattan chain to my lights if needed.
So if you have a light AND you have some rattan chain that you would like me to
link together I will do this for you if you bring both of these items to Hukilau.
Will not charge you for this service.
Or stop by and I can show you how to do it yourself when you get home.
I'll even give you the rattan you need to do this yourself when you get home.
Call it a free mini seminar.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TIKISKIP™:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

Bring plenty for me Tiki Skip!!! That is incrdible!!!

T

Thanks TK.
And if you have a question about a light or some rattan item and
how to fix said item take a photo of this thing and bring it to
Hukilau and I may have an idea as to how it could be fixed.
Going to be lots of hang around down time at the booth, so am going
to tie floats make rattan chain ECT...

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/4035/513ce114.jpg)  
"Let us sale one to you"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies