Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Caution: Trailerpark Tiki has chisels ...and a grinder

Pages: 1 12 replies

Well, I wasn't too pleased with tiki #1, so he's in a corner in my yard. But tiki #2 was a piece of Las Vegas Mesquite tree that was a very hard wood.

Its never too early to start them on tiki!

This pic is before I bought a carving work bench and decent chisels. (back ache time)

[ Edited by: Trailerpark Tiki 2012-10-10 19:12 ]

He was starting to take shape...

But something was missing... COCKTAILS!

I wasn't sure how to form the mouth, then a big piece broke off. So, I didn't want to make it worse. I kept the silly mouth but hey, I learned from my mistake.

[ Edited by: Trailerpark Tiki 2012-10-10 19:11 ]

So, I did a little tiki bonding with the labradoodle dog.

Then I let him sample my Mai Tais.

Here I am celebrating after he got stained and shellacked. Strumming a happy tune on my uke.

Now I have the carving bug. By the time I finished him I bought chisels, a planer, a grinder and a work bench. I learned how not to do the mouth and how I should have done the chin. Well, there's always the next tiki!

Cool, I've wanted to see a mesquite tiki. It's very pretty wood when it's polished. Mesquite is also really, really heavy so I'm impressed.

K

welcome to TC. careful the tiki bug can lead to a very expensive hobby lol. the people here on TC are great and very helpful. that is a sweet tiki.

[ Edited by: KeverC 2012-10-10 19:48 ]

TPT looks like you're having fun! That mesquite turned out good with the 2 colors of sapwood and heartwood. Plus you can use the leftovers to smoke ribs! :D

P

yeah bro, that's a solid firstie...and you should be proud of it...

I just sent you a pm...

N

Unfortunately there are no pesticides that will get rid of this kind of bug...you're just gona have to live with it.

Carve on!

Thanks for the comments and I welcome any advice or tips. @MDM I never thought about smoking ribs. Great idea! I'm working on tiki #3 out of the last piece of mesquite. I hope he comes out OK. Will post pics soon.

Here is tiki number 3.

I scored some logs today. More tikis to come.

Dude
How did i miss your carving post?
Way cool
See you and your bar on the 1st for the chop

Jon

Pages: 1 12 replies