Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 10-10-12: Movie Music

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: October 10, 2012

On this week’s show we celebrated the marvelous music of motion pictures in all of its scintillatious cinematic glory. So pour a Technocolor potable into your most filmic Tiki mug and settle in to savor some of the sweetest sounds this side of the Los Angeles River.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “The War Years” medley of music from the Warner Brothers Looney Tunes cartoon soundtracks from 1942 to 1946, taken from the CD: The Carl Stalling Project.

2. “They Call Me Sister Honky Tonk” by Mae West in the 1933 movie of the same name that featured a young Cary Grant, composed by Harvey Brooks, Gladys DuBois and Ben Ellison and taken from the collection: Come Up and See Me Sometime – 30 Original Mono Recordings 1933-1954.

3. “Love Is Just Around the Corner” Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards With the Eton Boys from the 1934 Movie: Here Is My Heart and used the following year in the movie: Millions In the Air, composed by Lewis E. Gensler and Leo Robin, taken from the CD Box Set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

4. “Laura,” composed by David Raskin for the classic 1944 movie of the same name, performed by ukulele master Lyle Ritz on his CD: Time – Ukulele Jazz With Bass, Drums and Percussion.

5. “Third Man Theme,” Anton Karas for the 1949 Carol Reed movie, performed by Esquivel on his 1960s LP: Music From a Sparkling Planet.

6. “The Way You Look Tonight,” written by Jerome Kern & Dorothy Fields/ for the 1936 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Swing Time, performed by ukulele master Kawika Keakiali’i Alfiche on his CD: Nalei, accompanied by Mit Kamama ‘O Maurille on Piano.

7. “Close Your Eyes,” The 1933 song by Bernice Petkere that was later used in the 1971 Vincent Price movie: The Abominable Dr. Phibes, from the album: The Forbidden Sounds of Don Tiki.

8. “Around the World,” David Kamakahi, the son of Dennis Kamakahi, performing the Victor Young and Harold Adamson theme to the 1956 movie: Around the World in 80 Days, from the collection: Legends of the Ukulele, Vol. 2.

9. “Beat Girl” by John Barry for the1969 movie of the same name, taken from the compilation: Ultra-Lounge Mondo Hollywood – Movie Madness From Tinsel Town.

10. “Lulu's Back in Town,” composed by Al Dubin and Harry Warren for the 1935 movie: Broadway Gondolier, performed in 1951 by Billy May and His Orchestra and taken from the collection: Billy’s Best.

11. “Winter Green & Summer Blue” sung by Nancy Wilson accompanied by Toots Thielemans on Harmonica, taken form the soundtrack to the Japanese gangster movie: YaKsa, composed and arranged by Mashiko Satoh.

12. “Lover” the Rodgers & Hart composition used in the 1932 movie: Love Me Tonight and performed by the Bill Charlap Trio on their album: ’S Wonderful, featuring pianist Bill Charlap with Peter Washington on Bass and Kenny Washington on Drums.

13. “Key Largo,” written by Bertie Higgins and Sonny Limbo with lyrics referring to "Bogie and Becall," sung by Dianne Reeves on her CD: The Calling – Celebrating the Music of Sarah Vaughan.

14. “You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To,” composed by Cole Porter for the 1943 movie: Something to Shout About and later used in Woody Allen’s 1987 film: Radio Days, performed here by Jackie Ryan from her CD: You and the Night and the Music, featuring Tamir Handelman on Piano, Red Holloway on Tenor Sax, Christoph Luty on Bass; and Jeff Hamilton on Drums.

15. “Baat Zara Hai Aapas Ki, Part 2” by Sharda, from the 1970 Indian movie of the same name, taken from the very strange compilation: Music for Gracious Living 2.

Pages: 1 0 replies