Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mystery of Easter Island - Long Beach Art Theater

Pages: 1 9 replies

S

TUES 10/30 7pm

PBS SoCaL and Cal State Long Beach Host Easter Island NOVA Documentary Screening & Discussion

The enigmatic moai statues of Easter Island (Rapa Nui) have long intrigued explorers and researchers including anthropology Professor Carl Lipo of California State University, Long Beach (CSULB). Lipo and research colleague Terry Hunt, an anthropology professor at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa, have spent 10 years studying Easter Island culture, including how the multi-ton statues were moved from rock quarries in the island’s interior to coastal platforms. Their book, The Statues That Walked, led to a PBS NOVA/National Geographic television documentary, “The Mystery of Easter Island,” that will air Wednesday, November 7 at 9 p.m. on PBS SoCaL TV (KOCE) and was the cover story in July’s National Geographic magazine. The event includes introductory comments by CLA Dean David Wallace, presentation of excerpts of the documentary with remarks and a question and answer panel moderated by Wallace with Lipo, Hunt, NOVA Senior Science Editor Evan Hadingham and NOVA executive producer John Bredar. Proceeds from the event will benefit CSULB students. TRAILER TICKETS/MORE INFO

BUMP

CA

nice!

Looks like this has been canceled? :(

You need to buy your tickets off of the PBS SoCal website, not the Art Theater. The PBS website will redirect you to Brown Paper Tickets. It's on the flyer, but in small print. I looked on the Art Theater website too.

http://www.pbssocal.org/events/date/mystery-of-easter-island-screening

Mystery of Easter Island Screening

October 30, 2012
The Art Theatre of Long Beach

Join PBS SoCaL and National Geographic for a screening of the upcoming NOVA episode Mystery of Easter Island. Catch a special sneak peek at a clip of this exciting new show before it premieres on PBS SoCaL on Wednesday, November 7 at 9 p.m. Then learn more about The Mystery of Easter Island from a panel of experts, including Carl Lipo, Terry Hunt (University of Hawaii), John Bredar of National Geographic Society and Evan Hadingham, Senior Editor for NOVA. Tickets will be available at the door for $10.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2012-10-30 08:22 ]

This film is on Netflix streamng now and is well worth watching. Give it a look!

T

+1 to that, really interesting.

And then there is this classic:

http://www.tikibosko.com/sale.htm

Scroll down to "Secret of Easter Island", click on the "Click Here to View a Short Clip" link, and prepare to be amazed!

Won't load on my mobile device. $5 and VHS.

Yeah well, we easily perceive it as an outrage now when immediate digital availability is not present. Just remember: There was nothing digital to original Tiki culture. Even non-digitally, it basically did not exist when I started digging for it in the early 90s. It was hard work, but the rewards of unearthing something were so much greater.

Pages: 1 9 replies