Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Mancini's 'Background to Murder' from 'Touch of Evil'

Pages: 1 5 replies

Also the great soundtrack from "Sweet Smell of Success" is on this set
I found it on Amazon.com for $8.99 MP3 Download for all 101 songs (5 CDs).

I

I'm digging the 5 CD set 'Jazz on Film - Film Noir' box set from Moochin About records. Excellent!

I was especially impressed with the exotica influences of the Henry Mancini song 'Background to Murder' from the movie 'Touch of Evil' ....... starts very soothing, and ends with a great brassy 'Spy Jazz' brass.

Listen to the song here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inuI5wZGWUs&list=PL7848E6DF78FECFB3&index=6&feature=plpp_video

Vern

TM

Very cool! I would buy this CD set, but it is only music from 5 movies, it seems. There were so many movies produced in the late 50's/early 60's that had Jazz in the soundtracks...couple of my favorites are "I want to live" and "the sandpiper"

Thanks for the reference Vern, just snagged it on iTunes. $10.99

Here are the movie soundtracks in the set
all are the original recordings.

"A Streetcar Named Desire"
"Private Hell 36"
"The Man with the Golden Arm"
"Sweet Smell of Success"
"Touch of Evil"
"Anatomy of a Murder"
"Odds Against Tomorrow".

I

The 'Moochin About' label has just released a second set of 1950's jazz soundtracks - 8 films, on 5 CDs. This second set is titled 'Jazz on Film . .. Beat, Square, and Cool' and it includes the following films

• The Wild One (Leith Stevens / Shorty Rogers)
  • Crime in the Streets (Franz Waxman)
  • I Want to Live (Johnny Mandel)
  • Les Tricheurs (Norman Gratz' JATP)
  • Paris Blues (Duke Ellington)
  • The Subterraneans (Andre Previn)
  • Shadows (Charlie Mingus)
  • The Connection (Freddie Redd)

I just received this set, and have not listened to it yet. I was so impressed with the overall quality of the first set, that I didn't hesitate to order the second.

Here is the website for the Moochin About label, with a better description of both box sets.
http://moochinabout.com/jazz.html

Pages: 1 5 replies