Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Grog Log vs. Remixed! - Are The Recipes Original?

Pages: 1 21 replies

H

I was wondering if any of you lucky original Grog Log owners have checked to see whether the original recipes in that book are included in the new Remixed! book. I lost my copy a while back and a replacement is just too expensive. I'm hoping the new book has the original recipes, they were so good!

Mahalo nunui!

-HuliHuli

[ Edited by: hulihuli 2012-11-04 11:37 ]

KD

I own all of the Bum's books and as far as I can tell the recipes are the same, EXCEPT where noted in Remixed, which does have a number of revisions, all noted and either based on new research or what tastes better.

H

Mahalos KD I'm glad to hear the originals are still there. Off to order Remixed!

A

There are 20 recipes in Grog Log that weren't included in Remixed due to Beachbum Berry declaring they weren't worthy. He explains more on his web site here:

http://beachbumberry.com/page/9/

KD

Interesting, I didn't there were that many omissions. Still, I'd recommend Remixed as the latest & greatest of Tiki recipes. I recall there was an "original" drink in "The Grog Log" that turned out to be the Bacardi Cocktail (light rum, lime, grenadine)

i have remixed but do not have grog or or intoxica. i realize that if i have remixed i do not need the other 2 for the recipes, but as far as pics and prose, is there a redeeming reason to also have grog log and intoxica if i already have remixed? if there are great pics that aren't in remixed, that would be reason enough. i wonder if the pics from the older 2 books were used in remixed or if there are new illustrations and photos? so, if i already have remixed, is there a good reason to also have grog log and intoxica?

[ Edited by: mermaid1111 2013-08-17 14:16 ]

If you can find Grog Log, Intoxica, and Taboo Table at good prices they are definitely worth having even if you have Remixed. They are black and white spiral bound books that have nothing on Remixed or Sippin Safari as far as visual aesthetics, but they are the books that started us all down the authentic Tiki path and are worth having.

Most of the recipe formulations in Remixed are improvements over the originally published versions, but there are a couple of instances where I prefer the "uncorrected" version.

I would say, get "Remixed" and forget about The "Grog Log" and "Intoxica" unless you want to spend the additional money for those earlier books. Fortunately, I purchased The Grog Log and Intoxica (And Taboo Table) when they each first were available. However, I HIGHLY recommend "Sippin' Safari" if only for the historical background information contained therein. "Remixed" covers and updates the Grog Log and Intoxica recipes as well as adding many new recipes.
Just my opinion.

Being an illustrator meself, the old-school artwork in Grog Log & Intoxica is worth the price of admission alone.

If you're going purely for recipes, it's probably not worth paying the inflated prices I've seen these books go for. If you can get them for cheap tho, don't pass em up. Plus, there's the Krakatoa!

I still think there is a lot to be said for the way a spiral bound book stays open on the selected page on a bartop. And as my old man eyes get worse, I have really come to appreciate the large print in the old books.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I will get them. They are really cheap on Amazon right now. I already have Remixed, Sippin Safari and Taboo Table, but it seems the general consensus is that Grog Log and Intoxica are worth having in addition to Remixed. For the recipes alone all I need is Remixed but for the artwork, and just because The Bum wrote them, I think I need the other two. Can't wait for his new book that's coming out soon!!! BTW, Of the re-issues, Intoxica is spiral bound but Grog log isn't. Mahalo

A

Would anyone with Grog Log care to post the Zombie recipe? I heard its different!

It is different. And... not stellar. I recall powdered sugar....

H

Here you go

Zombie (Grog Log)

1 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 oz papaya nectar
1/2 oz Applejack
Tablespoon powdered sugar
1 oz dark Jamaican rum
2 oz Barbados rum
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum
1/2 oz 151 Demerara rum

ha! Yes! So who's the brave soul? I don't think I've ever owned a bottle of Applejack....

I bought Apple Jack to make Jack Roses with when I was first treking through the classic cocktail world. I was very underwhelmed, and then I discovered that subbing a calvados in all the recipes calling for Apple Jack actually makes them good.

Won't pass up a bottle of Laird's Bonded though.

applejack's good stuff, but definitely has a more whiskey-like profile than a calvados.

i like it esp. in a suffering bastard, 1 oz each of applejack, gin, and bourbon...

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2013-08-18 00:04 ]

I've used Lairds Applejack for years. It's great added to hot apple cider in winter and served with a cinnamon stick. It's also great to add 2 tablespoons to a pumpkin pie recipe. I love Applejack, but never heard of it in a Zombie before. None of the Zombies in Remixed have Applejack in them. That must have been one of the recipes the bum omitted in Remixed. He omitted the ones that weren't up to par, were almost duplicates or didn't make sense.

doesnt the 1934 Patrick Gavin Duffy recipe call for apple brandy?

A

Lairds is expensive in the UK ($50 a bottle?), I got a half bottle from the US. I've infused apple in bourbon based on reading Lairds is the same (it's similar but it aint!).

I use the half bottle on special occasions. I think this is one:

On 2013-08-17 17:57, hiltiki wrote:
Here you go... Zombie (Grog Log)

1 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 oz papaya nectar
1/2 oz Applejack
Tablespoon powdered sugar
1 oz dark Jamaican rum
2 oz Barbados rum
1/2 oz 151 Demerara rum

I had seen this before on a website, thanks for the verification!

D

Laird's Applejack is 1/3 apple brandy and 2/3 neutral grain spirits. That's why it has such a light flavor.

I suppose you could try making your own. Add some vodka or "white whiskey" to some Calvados.

Or you can "jack" some hard apple cider. (Jacking is a form of distillation involving freezing the liquid and scraping off the ice.)

Of course, you might go blind... Any takers? :)

H

Another recipe from Grog Log if anyone was interested in using up their Applejack.
Hawaiian room
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz Applejack
1/2 oz triple sec

Recipe from the Hawaiian Room of the Hotel Lexington in New York City, circa 1940s.

Pages: 1 21 replies