Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Celebration of Art Snyder's Life - Saturday 11/10 at Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 14 replies

Aloha everyone,

There will be a Celebration of Life for Art Snyder on Saturday, November 10th from 3:00 pm - 8:00 pm at Don the Beachcomber, in the Longboard Room. Please join us on what would have been Art's 80th birthday and raise a glass to the man who gave his hospitality to all of us over the last three years. Hope you all can make it.

Dinah and I have a wedding to go to that afternoon, so we will be stopping by before the official time to pay our respects.

We had drinks with Sabu at Dons last night. Most of the staff was pretty broken up over losing Art. It was certainly a tough night at times. I kept expecting for Art to come around the corner and sit down with us.

Miss him a ton...

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.thehulagirlsmusic.com

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-11-08 14:56 ]

BK

I'm having a little gathering in The Mauna Kai Lounge, Saturday. I think a moment of silence & a raising of the glass to Art will be in order.

I'm headed down the Don the Beachcomber's for Art's memorial celebration.
I'll be wearing bright aloha wear and drinking a dark and stormy in his honor.
Hope to see a lot of Tiki Ohana swing by today to share stories and toast to this larger than life character, and great supporter of tiki artists, and the tiki community.
He will be missed.

A great celebration of a truly unique individual
All the Tiki crowd that made it out today are the true keepers of the Tiki flame.

Now is the time we all need to support what Art set out to do & make it over to "Don the Beachcomber"
have a cocktail in the "Dagger Bar" bring your friends, significant other, family & those who have never been
and show them what "Tiki" is all about, Raise a mug to "Art Snyder" when you do.

On 2012-11-11 02:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
A great celebration of a truly unique individual
All the Tiki crowd that made it out today are the true keepers of the Tiki flame.

Now is the time we all need to support what Art set out to do & make it over to "Don the Beachcomber"
have a cocktail in the "Dagger Bar" bring your friends, significant other, family & those who have never been
and show them what "Tiki" is all about, Raise a mug to "Art Snyder" when you do.

I agree, ATP. I went after work on Friday and yesterday I went before the memorial to pay my respects and spend some money. My girlfriend had day surgery and I brought over lunch from Don's so her extended family that lives in Huntington Beach can see how good the food is and give them some business. They still thought it was Sam's Seafood. There was a good crowd of people at 1pm and that was nice to see.

HT

Nice words ATP, thank you for saying what I feel. Lets all support DON the Beachcomber and raise are Tiki
mugs and say THIS ONE IS FOR YOU ART. Thank you Art and Delia for such a perfect Tiki Bar and restaurant.

CA

what can be said except Death sucks......... i dealt with it plenty in my short time hanging around the planet.
It was great to meet Art's loved ones and w all keep them in our thoughts.
Thanks Art and Delia for the great opportunity last night to get to know much more of the tremendous man i never got to know.

Thanks again for all you did ART!

Art was a great man. I am really bummed I could not be there, but I had scheduled something for that day long in advance, and could not bail on it. Tiki Bong wanted to go as well, but had the same issue. We really wanted to be there, as we (the smokin menehunes) feel part of the Don's family.

Whereas with sams and kona, I was hesitant to recommend the place to anyone outside of the tiki world, based on crappy service and bad food....but Don's was and is a whole different thing. Art turned that place around and I continue to recommend my out of town friends to go there. Don's is awesome, and it is because of art and the work of the tiki artists here who made music there or worked with the decor.

Art reminded me a lot of an officer I served with in the military, and older guy who knew waikiki back and front, and was a fan of all things tiki. This was back in the 80's, of course, in hawaii. We were fortunate to have a "character" like art in our midst, someone who understood tiki. He will be missed. Now, lets just pray that don's does not become condos.

I will see everyone there at the ed-a-thon coming up!

HT

Thank you Art and Delia for the love and devotion you both have given to Don the Beachcomber. Farewell old friend.

Great photos HB Tiki.
Art served his country, his community and the tiki ohana. Good to see so many people paying tribute to him.

Due to a wedding that we had to attend, The Hula Girls (including Dinah) all showed up to Don's last night around 9:00. I'm super bummed that we missed the speeches about Art and missed an opportunity to say some words about him.

We stayed late and drank a bunch though... Told our stories about Art and Sam's before Art had transformed it into the amazing Don the Beachcomber that it is now. It was fun. And Art would have wanted it that way.

It was a very nice turnout for Art's Celebration of Life. Many Los Angeles dignitaries, a few celebrities, a fine contingent of Marines and some of our tiki regulars. We saw Jason Wickedly, Crazy Al, Doug Horne, Mr & Mrs Boo, HB Tiki & the Mrs., Hot Tiki and the Mrs., Ali-i, Polypop, Spike & Dinah, Leroy & Bob, Atomic Kitty, Kookie Combs, Doug Sanborn, Christian Kessler, Atomic Tiki Punk & Jungle Ginger, Zach & Sandra Todd, Sean & Cassandra Millard, Kelly Morrell, Rhonda, CaliTiki, Makedamug, the Tiki Highway Crew, Joe & Rebecca Cache, Ichabod, Tiki Diablo & the Mrs., James & Krista Ledbetter, Kimo, Auntie Geri, Fully Fullwood & and Tehani. (If I left anyone out, sorry, it was kinda crazy with a lot of people!)

http://www.DonTheBeachcomber.com
http://www.tikioasis.com

"Marriage, Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2012-11-12 10:07 ]

This just in.... For those who cannot attend Art's funeral this Wednesday, the ceremony will be webcasted and you may tune in on your computer to watch it.

Event Webcast Confirmation

Arthur Kress Snyder Memorial

The event details are as follows:

Before You View:
If you are new to viewing our live and archived broadcasts please use this link to ensure your system has the latest version of Silverlight. http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight

Broadcast Date: 11/14/2012
Broadcast Time: 9:00 AM
Time Zone: Pacific Time
Title: Arthur Kress Snyder

Please click on the link below to view the broadcast.
http://app.eventbywire.com/viewevent/?id=936-563

Event ID: 936-563 Password: Snyder

Thank you,
The Event By Wire Team

Art, RIP my friend!

HT

The monday TC crew was present, at 7:30 Soccer Tiki read the proclamation honoring our dear friend Art Snyder and everyone in the bar raised there glass and drank a toast to our friend ART SNYDER and his beautiful wife DELIA. We love you ART.

[ Edited by: hb tiki 2012-11-13 07:02 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies