Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hot Drinks for Cold Weather

Pages: 1 7 replies

Now that the seasons are turning colder (here at least), I decided to whip up a couple of Coffee Grogs (Remixed) and Hot Tiger's Milks (Sippin' Safari). Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the results (I don't usually like hot drinks).

I didn't think I'd like them as much as I did, butnow I have to know more! So what hot drinks is everyone else having now? Any good recipes I should know about?

Hot Buttered Rum Baby,
warms yer hands and yer tummy.

Jeff(btd)

Not a "tiki" drink but I like hot Mexican chocolate* with whipped cream and Kahlua

*Mexican hot chocolate is available in the Ybarra and Abuelita brands, contains cinnamon. After you try it you'll never go back to bland Nestle's again.

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Nov 14, 2012 3:21 PM

mmm hot buttered rum... had a few this weekend.

There are lots of hot drinks in Tiki history. Here's a couple of classics:

Black Stripe (Trader Vic's)
2 maraschino cherries
1 tsp honey
Boiling water
2 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 oz Jamaican rum
1/4 oz 151-proof rum
Muddle cherries in the bottom of skull mug. Add honey and hot water to fill. Stir. Add Jamaican rum, cloves, and cinnamon. Float 151-proof rum and flame.

Don the Beachcomber's Coffee Grog (right out of this month's Imbibe, adapted from Sippin' Safari)
1 sugar cube
1 tsp Don's Coffee Grog Batter
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch ground clove
Punch ground cinnamon
3 strips orange peel
1 strip grapefruit peel
6 oz freshly brewed hot coffee
1/2 oz aged Jamaican rum
1/2 oz Lemon Hart 151

Don's Coffee Grog Batter
Combine 1 oz of softened sweet unsalted butter and 1 oz of honey with 1/2 tsp of vanilla syrup, 1/2 tsp of allspice dram, and 1 tsp cinnamon syrup. Makes 18 servings.

"Place the sugar, batter, spices and citrus peels in a preheated, heat-proof glass, then add the coffee, stirring until the batter dissolves. Place the rums in a fireproof ladle, carefully ignite with a match, and pour the flaming rum into the glass (pyrophobes may want to skip this step and just stir in the unlit rum). Garnish."

These'll warm you up on those cold nights! Trust me, I know cold nights...

On 2012-11-14 13:04, MadDogMike wrote:
Not a "tiki" drink but I like hot Mexican chocolate* with whipped cream and Kahlua

*Mexican hot chocolate is available in the Ybarra and Abuelita brands, contains cinnamon. After you try it you'll never go back to bland Nestle's again.

The instant Abuelita hot chocolate packets are amazingly good. Crazy enough, Nestle owns them. Regular Nestle hot cocoa tastes like sawdust compared to the good stuff. MDM, I'll try your recipe because it looks really tasty.

the key to Aztec hot cocoa is to use Swiss Miss powder mix with mini-marshmallows, add milk not H2O. And add a 1/4 teaspoon each of cinnamon, vanilla, and Cholula el sabor autentico de la Mexico...

For the uninitiated, Cholula el sabor autentico de la Mexico is the hot sauce with the wooden ball lid. Nothing compliments chocolate quite as well as chile.

Pages: 1 7 replies