Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Showing again KON-TIKI -Aero Theater Santa Monica Tuesday, January 8 - 7:30 PM

Pages: 1 8 replies

Norway’s Official Entry for the 2013 Foreign-Language Film Oscar! Directors Joachim Ronning & Espen Sandberg In Person!
Norway’s grandest production to date translates Thor Heyerdahl’s intrepid 1947 journey across the Pacific on a primitive raft into a larger-than-life, visually dazzling epic. Ethnographer Thor (Pal Sver Haggen, whom The Hollywood Reporter writes “has something of the young Peter O’Toole about him, evincing charisma and madness nearly in equal measure”), along with a motley crew, assembles a raft inspired by the pre-Colombian Incas as a means of proving his theory that the Polynesian islands were settled by South Americans crossing the Pacific. What follows is the Peru-to-Polynesia excursion, which co-directors Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg and a crew of hundreds fill with first-rate adventure, high-seas gravitas and nail-biting suspense, set against majestic cinematography. In English and Norwegian with English subtitles.
http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/kon-tiki-1

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2012-11-27 10:46 ]

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2012-11-27 10:55 ]

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2012-12-26 14:23 ]

Is anyone else planning on going? I bought tickets.

The movie was really good and suspenseful. Check it out if it's playing in your city.
This is a picture of the directors, star and producer while they are doing a Q&A after the movie.

TM

Sounds interesting!

bump

Bump

I found a copy of this online, but it was in Norwegian with no subtitles. Are subtitles available anywhere, or a hard-coded version?

It looked really great by the way!

When I saw it last month the movie was shown with English subtitles. I would think it'll eventually show up on DVD or Blu-Ray with them. It probably depends on how well it does here.
Interesting bit of trivia, Michael Douglas was involved in making the film.

It also appears that Kevin Kidney will be at the screening on December 8th. He posted this to the Kon Tiki Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/kontikifilmen/posts/457802434284756#!/kontikifilmen?fref=ts
"The 1968 Rose Parade in Pasadena, California! Courtesy of Kevin Kidney.
Happy New Year, Kon-Tiki! I'm mighty excited to finally see the film next week in Santa Monica at the Aero. I hope you win an Oscar! (Incidentally, this photograph is from the 1968 Rose Parade in Pasadena, California. The parade's theme that year was "The Wonderful World of Adventure" and the Kon-Tiki float was sponsored by the City of Sierra Madre. Don't you love the giant "wind" face?)"

Kon-Tiki was just nominated for an Oscar in the best foreign language film category. Saw it at the Aero. Was an impressive movie. See it in a theater!

Pages: 1 8 replies