Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Malibu Riviera Motel

Pages: 1 2 replies

JB
joe b posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2003 9:50 AM

Has anyone seen the Malibu Riviera Motel on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu?

I was looking at a book, Architectural Presentation in Opaque Watercolor by Chris Choate, 1960. Choate was the architect who teamed with Cliff May in the 50s to help design May's popular modern prefab ranch homes through out the west. Choate, who was trained at USC and later taught at UCLA, was heavily influenced by Japanese design.

Choate designed the Malibu Riviera Motel in the late-50s. His drawing of the motel in the book resemble a tiki-asian resort.

Is it still that way? I looked on the web and found listings for it in Malibu, but no pictures

You may wish to contact SpaceAgeCity(.com).

He is somewhat of a modern architecture expert and has researched numerous sites pursuant to his photosafari of Los Angeles County.

Joe B-

There are mid-century arhcitecture groups that could probably answer your questions. We have one in Palm Springs called PS ModCom. Our President was (and is) very involved int he L.A. committee as wel. Drop me an email and I'll give you his contact info.

Pages: 1 2 replies