Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Polynesian, La Jolla, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 8 replies

Name:The Polynesian
Type:restaurant
Street:Herschel at Silvarado
City:La Jolla
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Tried for this postcard from The Polynesian restaurant located in La Jolla (on ebay).

A home made job for sure with the rope sign and painted Tiki masks.

I have also seen this matchbook.

Talked to Bosko and he had heard of it, maybe he has a little more info.

DC

N

My grandparents owned The Polynesian restaurant in your photo.

A

On 2013-10-14 02:27, NofiNola wrote:
My grandparents owned The Polynesian restaurant in your photo.

Wow, really? Do you have any other photos, menus, etc? Was it located where the parking lot on the corner is now?

C
CQD posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2014 10:49 AM

Interior of The Polynesian, circa 1956. View is from main dining room back towards kitchen. Bar is on left underneath bamboo overhang.

CQD,

That's a great photo, thanks for posting it. Where did you find it? Do you know anything about the Polynesian?

DC

C
CQD posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2014 5:56 PM

The picture was given to me by my grandmother many years ago. I think it was a PR photo taken for the previous owners right before they sold to my grandparents. I am not NofiNola, whoever that is, but my grandparents did own the Polynesian from 1956 to 1974. I spent a lot of time there, because they took care of me during the summers and they were pretty much always working, so I spent a fair amount of time playing with the adding machine in the office, "helping" out in the kitchen (they kept me well away from the giant gas stove with the three ring burners, however), and talking with the "regulars".

Here is a picture of Mickey Chung (and his family), the chef at the Polynesian from (about) 1960 to 1974. I've eaten a lot of excellent Chinese food over the years in all parts of the country, and he was definitely one of the best chefs I have encountered.

Nice! Thanks, CQD; wish it were still there. Welcome to TC!

C
CQD posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2014 9:33 PM

I think that sites like this are the only way memories of the restaurants from that era will be preserved. I am currently hunting for additional Polynesian Restaurant memorabilia to scan and upload, just for the sake of history.

I found this old 1955 ad from the Polynesian that is interesting for several reasons.

First, the drummer image shown is from The Hut restaurant that became the Bali Hai on Shelter Island.

The second is the reference to famous Chef Martinez who worked at The Hut, the Royal Hawaiian, and The Tropics.

Third, that is a NICE font on the Polynesian.

Cool stuff man!

DC

Pages: 1 8 replies