Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Cord and Lashing Material for Bone Pendants

Pages: 1 3 replies

F
fshaw posted on Wed, Dec 19, 2012 1:15 PM

I have a bone hook that came from Hawaii a number of years ago. I want to replace the cord before it breaks and can't find a source for the tan spiral woven cord that my hook shares with the cords shown on most Hawaiian carvings. I believe my hook was carved by Milton Matia. I can't find a web link to him either. I am a high school teacher in NY and have two senior students that have asked me to mentor them in their senior project which they want to do on bone carving. Could you help me out in locating a source where I can purchase a spool of cord and of the single stranded lashing material?

Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

Frank

If you are going to make it a complete project - lashing is as important as the pendant. You can search the interwebs for Sinew (artifical sinew is the most common) and the weaving techniques that go with it. Lots of resources!

F
fshaw posted on Thu, Dec 20, 2012 9:35 AM

The lashing cord on the hook I have is not artificial sinew. I have some of that from earlier projects. The lashing is round cord and the necklace cord spiral and not the typical three or four strand braid. I'm looking for a source to purchase the same type of lashing and cord found on the high end Makau that are hand crafted vs. massed produced. I have carved some Maori (Matau) style hooks and have some of the black cord used on those.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Frank

T

Check out Coconuttzo's carving thread "a couple more weapons" (about 2/3 down the first page) and if any of the cord he uses is what your after send him a personal message. Not only is his work terrific but he uses a variety of cords and braids. Good luck.
aloha, tikicoma

Pages: 1 3 replies