Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hawaii Kai OMC Skull Tiki Mug

Pages: 1 10 replies

HI All.

Glad I came across this forum as I'm looking for some info on an OMC Skull Tiki I came across this summer. It's a Hollow Bottom OMC Hawaii Kai. I see one listed on Ebay and the seller is asking a hig price. He references "Tiki Quest Page 97".

Does anybody have this book, or can share their knowledge about this mug?

Attached is a picture of the mug from the auction (not mine)- but my mug is exactly the same.

Thanks.. Chris

In the top right corner of this page you will see the word SEARCH, click on SEARCH and when the next page comes up type in HAWAII KAI SKULL MUG or HAWAII KAI and you will get all the information you ever wanted to know.

No one is going to tell you any value because that is subjective--however you can find out the information you seek rather easily by following the instructions above.

Thanks. I did that before I posted as instructed and can't find anything pertaining to this particular mug. Perhaps I missed it? I see something about a Goddess of Love, but no pictures.

chicagoish, try this link or just do a search for Hawaii Kai only.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33090&forum=2&hilite=HAWAII%20KAI%20SKULL

I do have a copy of the Tiki Quest, but prices are not listed in it. It's one of a few reference guides for us tiki geeks.
SandraDee was correct in stating that the value of Polynesian collectibles is subjective. The person that posted that mug for $499 has quite a few other items that are over priced on their eBay page and they've been for sale for years. But, if you can get someone to pay $299 for a rather common Sneaky Tiki mug than more power to you.

Hi Lori and all. Can you tell me what it says about the mug in the reference book? I didn't realize that Hawaii Kai was a Restaurant in NYC! I just assumed it came from the islands. Thanks for the help here

[ Edited by: chicagoish 2012-12-26 12:15 ]

Believe it or not, lol, I'm at work so I can't help you with what the book says.

I had a brain fart and should have told you to look up the mug on Ooga Mooga. It's an online reference source for tiki mugs. Your head will spin with how many tiki mugs there are. The link below has recent prices people have paid for that mug.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=1709

Critiki is an online reference for tiki establishments past and present. This link will take you to the Hawaii Kai in New York. There was also one in Montreal. There are postcards of what the Hawaii Kai looked like when it was still around.

http://critiki.com/location/?loc_id=317

Thanks Lori. You've been very helpful. There really wasn't anything on the site about this particular mug as Sandra Dee was implying. Now I have a better idea, what it's all about.

Chicagoish, Sandra Dee gave you good scoop. I think you just need to keep plugging away. Sometimes even hitting the wrong button/link brings up some delightful surprises. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful folks here on T C. There is so much to learn here and if your interest in tiki pop culture is genuine you are in for some real enjoyment.
In regard to the "prices" on Ooga-Mooga, the prices shown are "sightings"-what the seller wants,not necessarily what he'll get for an item. For example, the sightings for the Ku mug from the Las Vegas Aku Aku (now defunct) vary from 66 bucks (ebay) to 16 dollars at an antique store. I treasure anything from the Aku Aku but I won't pay 66 dollars on ebay and probably wouldn't fork over the 16 smackeroo's at the antique store. Sometimes patience pays off cuz I recently snagged one at a thrift store for under 5 bucks which some folks might think is too much. That's my two cents worth-welcome to you, I hope you stick around-this site is amazing.
Cheers

I am going to go out on a limb, so I apologize if I am drawing the wrong conclusion. But given the image that you chose to post is from a long standing auction from a "gotcha" seller who is asking about 10X what the going value is of any item they post, from this specific mug to various Frankoma pieces, among others...in the outside hope some idiot will come along and purchase their items as incredibly inflated prices.

If you are trying to find out if your mug is worth what that specific seller is asking, then the answer is NO, NO, NO! Not even close, as noted, it's worth maybe 1/10 of what they are asking. You haven't found the holy grail this time...sorry...

For point of reference, here is the listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HAWAII-KAI-OMC-HOLLOW-BOTTOM-SKULL-TIKI-MUG-/170588187924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b7d92d14

[ Edited by: Cool Manchu 2012-12-27 01:29 ]

Cool. Yep, I was trying to find out exactly that, and some additional information on why they were asking so much. I was curious if it was something more valuable. What's so "offending" about that? I have my answer, and I appreciate those who were helpful.

Pages: 1 10 replies