Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mai Kai (the others)

Pages: 1 15 replies

We have all heard of the famous Mai Kai restaurant in Fort Lauderdale. Having collected all things Tiki over the years, I have seen many other locations that borrowed the famous name.

The Mai Kai restaurant in Manchester, New Hampshire.

This matchbook I have lists three other locations in Dover, Hampton Beach and Concord.

More can be seen here: Mai Kai

The Mai Kai in North Bergen, New Jersey - Famous for the Pu Pu Platter.

The Tur Mai Kai,

Documented in this great post by Uncle Trav. Tur Mai Kai

The Mai Kai Theater,

Mai Kai Theater

The Mai Kai Lounge in South Haven, Michigan.

A swizzle from the Mai Kai in Milwaukee.

The Mai Kai Room at the Midway Motel in Cleveland, Ohio.

The Mai-Kai Beach Motel in Pensacola Beach, Florida.

A bit off topic, the Mai Kai Cleaners in Detroit, Michigan.

Anybody got others?

DC

Good topic DC. How about the Mai Kai Lounge located in Tecumseh Mi. My post here
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26308&forum=2

P
porco posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2013 11:52 AM

great find on that cleveland mai kai, it was right down the street from me!

Thanks Uncle Trav, don't know how I forgot about that one.

Here is another Mai Kai entry from Chelsmford, Mass.

Not only did they borrow the name, but the ripped the Tiki image from the Polynesian in Torrance.

TTT

DC

On 2013-01-04 11:52, porco wrote:
great find on that cleveland mai kai, it was right down the street from me!

Porco,

I found some images I clipped a long time ago of a menu from the Cleveland Mai-Kai room. It looks like it had some Tiki.

I really like this somewhat abstract Tiki image.

DC

MH

Is it still open?

P
porco posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2013 1:53 PM

WOW! just checked back in this thread and noticed your follow up dc, great stuff! thanks so much for sharing! mr. ho, it is no longer there, but haven't headed down that way to see if the structure still exists. i'm assuming if it does, the motel is likely converted into a medical or office building if memory serves.

Picked up a matchbook from another Mai Kai, this one was located on Clairmont Road in Atlanta.

Not only did they borrow the name, they also stole the image from the drink coaster.

DC

Nice find DC. "Borrowing" another establishments logos and icons was rampant back in those days.

TTT as we like to call it!

How about this little gem (seen on ebay). A Mai Kai Polynesian drink book from the Mai Kai Trading Company, circa 1965.

Anybody heard of this one?

DC

HT

Looking at the winning bidder's bid history, it's someone that buys a lot of matchbooks and paper...Anyone?

The Mai Kai at the Drum Hill Rotary in Chelmsford, MA

Spotted this matchbook from the Mai Kai restaurant located in Monroe, Louisiana.

Appears to have been a sister restaurant to the Bamboo Restaurant and Tiki Lounge located in Shreveport.

DC

This whole thread has really become a great example of paper ephemera archeology!

Judging by the font, I'd say this mug is from one of these locations.

A not very interesting swizzle stick from the Mai Kai in Chelmsford.

Pages: 1 15 replies