Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 1-2-13 Exotica

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: January 2, 2013

On this week’s show we are going to engage in another extraordinarious and entropical exploration of perspicacious pop and exotica in all its efluvial eforvescence. At the same time – because this is the day after New Year’s Day and if like me you are still wishing everyone a happy new year – we are going to indulge in a program of music about, by and embracing what is new and the beginning of new adventures.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Let's Go for Broke,” the 1935 recording by Andy Iona & The Islanders from the collection: Hawaiians in Hollywood – Smooth, Sweet & Swinging – 1934-36. Featuring Iona on Lap Steel Guitar.

2. “Looking for a New Mama” performed by Jimmie Rodgers in 1931 and appearing on the CD Box Set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand, including Rodgers on Ukulele and Cliff Carlisle on Steel Guitar.

3. “I'm Beginning to See the Light,” the song composed in 1944 by Duke Ellington, Don George, Johnny Hodges and Harry James, recorded in 1998 by Lyle Ritz on his CD: Time – Ukulele Jazz With Bass, Drums and Percussion, featuring Byron Yasui on Bass and Noel Okimoto on Vibes, Drums & Percussion.

4. The famed Rodgers & Hammerstein song from their musical Oklahoma!, “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning,” sung by Amy Hanaiali’i on her album: Aumakua Hawaii, accompanied by Jeff Peterson on Slack-Key Guitar.

5. “Aloha, Baby!” by The Tikiyaki Orchestra from their ultimate CD sharing the same title, featuring Marty Lush on Vibes; Gary Brandin on Steel Guitar; Brian Kassan on Organ and Jim Bacchi on Guitar.

6. “Sunrise” by The Mutaytor from their album: Yelling Theatre in a Crowded Fire with Liela Avila on Vocals.

7. “China Fan” by the Waitiki 7 from their CD: New Sounds of Exotica.

8. “A Kiss to Build a Dream On,” the song composed by Bert Kalmar, Harry Ruby & Oscar Hammerstein in 1935 and recorded by Louis Armstrong in 1951 and used in the 1951 movie: The Strip and 1993 movie: Sleepless in Seattle, taken from the collection: Somewhere Over the Rainbow: The Golden Age of Hollywood Musicals.

9. “Accentuate the Positive,” the song by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer taken from radio performances from the 1940s which appear on the anthology: Danny Kaye -- Kid From Brooklyn.

10. “Prelude to a Kiss,” the 1938 song by Duke Ellington & Irving Gordon, recorded in 1962 by the Alto Sax master Johnny Hodges for his LP: The Eleventh Hour, including the Orchestra and Strings Arranged and Conducted by Oliver Nelson and Bernie Leighton on Piano.

11. “I’ll Remember April,” performed by The Red Norvo Trio on their 1950 album: Move. This touching song was composed oddly enough for the 1942 Abbott & Costello Movie: Ride ‘Em Cowboy by Gene de Paul, Patricia Johnston and Don Raye. Included on this version were Red Norvo on Vibes, Tal Farlow on Electric Guitar; and Charles Mingus on Bass.

12. “Live for Life,” composed by Norman Gimbel and Francis Albert Lai for the 1967 Yves Montand Movie of the same name, sung here by Karrin Allyson on her CD: Collage, featuring Rod Fleeman on Guitar and Randy Weinstein on Harmonica.

13. “Revealed (the Bliss Remix)” by Blank and Jones from the collection: The Ultra Lounge Succulent Chilled Beats.

Pages: 1 0 replies