Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Plunge Pirate Saloon

Pages: 1 19 replies

J

Some shots of our pool tiki bar named the "The Plunge Pirate Saloon" I have some more changes planned for next summer, but right now it's 5 degrees outside here... :wink:

TM

It's not a tiki bar...it's a Jimmy Buffet bar!

Spend some time on this forum, especially taking note of the other threads in this particular section. Using what you already have, and adding real tiki touches here and there, you might have something! For many here, it is a lifelong pursuit....but you are already halfway there since your structure is already built.

You need bamboo, real tikis, tapa cloth, possibly a thatch roof, tropical plants, ambient lighting, blowfish lamps, spears, shields, there are soooooo many things you can add that would turn this into something special.

A great starting point (besides this forum) is to pick up "book of tiki" by Sven Kirsten.

Then check out the work of the master decorators on this forum, such as Bamboo Ben.

http://critiki.com/pictures/?loc_id=77#/3

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-01-06 15:48 ]

MN

No tiki? :( Jimbo, you should hit up Lake Surfer. He is in Milwaukee.

J

Thanks for the tips guys! Actually the pics are a little old and I have done some changes already. The roof is cedar shakes as I know the thatch will not hold up thru the winters here. Neither will tropical plants. So I do what I can with that, and I have my plants in the house for winter. :) But they will never be big. :( I already have some cool lighting for inside, and I am working on re-doing the surfboard thing with some thatch and a shelf or two for my tiki mugs and booze. I have been looking for that 'just right' tikis, and we do use several torches these days. A while back (on here somewhere) I saw someone had a tiki serving tray (utinsel/napkin/condiment holder) it was awesome! I have not seen one anywhere for sale. :( SO i am still hunting for that. Always open for suggestions as I trust this will always be a work in progress... :)

[ Edited by: jimbo020 2013-01-06 18:01 ]

TM

You might look at fake tropical plants. They can be somewhat pricey, though!

Welcome Jimbo! I live in the desert so I understand the challenge of getting things that look tropical and will survive the climate. This thread on Tropical Gardens with Hardy Plants may be of use to you.

J

Excellent!! Thank you!

Welcome to TC. I have to use fake plants in my lounge as I have a tendency to kill live plants. It's all good...you do what you can. Lot's of beautiful Tikis to be had in the marketplace on this board...wink wink wink.

T

"I saw someone had a tiki serving tray (utinsel/napkin/condiment holder)"
Like this???

TIKISKIP: Maker of TIKI bar lighting, Let me make one for you.

J

On 2013-01-08 06:22, tikiskip wrote:
"I saw someone had a tiki serving tray (utinsel/napkin/condiment holder)"
Like this???

TIKISKIP: Maker of TIKI bar lighting, Let me make one for you.

YES YES!! The rectangle tray is it!!! I see it is from the FI Tiki Bar... wonder if they are homemade... SOOO cool tho, I would LOVE to have one of them! :)

D
Dagg posted on Thu, Jan 10, 2013 5:44 PM

YES YES!! The rectangle tray is it!!! I see it is from the FI Tiki Bar... wonder if they are homemade... SOOO cool tho, I would LOVE to have one of them! :)

Tikiskip made them.

AWESOME stuff!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18485&forum=18

[ Edited by: Dagg 2013-01-10 17:48 ]

Jimbo, when you are chatting on TC with others you are often chatting with the artists that create the look for many of the Tiki bars and restaurants of this century. Even last century! Many here, myself included, actually carve tikis, make lamps, mugs, accoutrement etc, for private home bars and restaurants. Take a look thru the Tiki Gallery.

J

yes, there are some great artists here. Truly gifted. Thanks for the tips!! Just looking for ideas for next summer's Tiki bar work! I am in MN, where the water in my pool is currently frozen :(

On 2013-01-10 18:53, jimbo020 wrote:
yes, there are some great artists here. Truly gifted. Thanks for the tips!! Just looking for ideas for next summer's Tiki bar work! I am in MN, where the water in my pool is currently frozen :(

So you have an Ice Skate rink!

It is always tropical at Psycho Suzi's.

J

Yes, Suzis is great! And technichally, I do have a skating rink I guess... sad as it is... LOL!

There you Are! I knew there had to be other Tiki people in Minneapolis as some of my thrift store finds I had to wait to buy after pay day always disappeared before I could get back to them. I always thought it would be fun to have a "meet up" at some point...and then 4 months ago I moved to Washington. I'm missing Suzi's a whole lot about now.
Your set up looks great! Hope to see more.

TM

In a lot of the tiki art, especially furniture and decorations, you can see the type of bamboo they are using looks old, and seems burnished...that's the look to aim for, even in doing the walls and frames. Those last pictures really show how it should look....

Your structure looks nice and solid, now all you need is a boatload of decorations to "tikifly" it! Have fun. It takes time, especially in non-tiki areas, unless you hit the lottery and can buy anything you want and hire Bamboo Ben.

And I'm with you, sadly staring out the window staring at my winterized pool and tiki paradise waiting for Spring and Summer!

:)
Lori

Thanks to the Internet, you can easily be a tiki fanatic anywhere now! Just get used to shipping charges.

If you dig the Buffett type bar, I say keep it! Just maybe add a few tikis?

[ Edited by: ToddVegas 2013-02-01 23:23 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies