Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 1-23-13 Broadway Bound!

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: January 23, 2013

On this week’s show we set out to perambulate the penumbra of the great white way, celebrating the variegated and vainglorious musical highjinks and hortatory histrionics of the Big Apple’s famed main stem -- Broadway.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Have You Met Miss Jones?,” the Rodgers & Hart song from the 1937 Broadway musical: I'd Rather Be Right, performed by the ukulele master Lyle Ritz from his CD: Time – Ukulele Jazz With Bass, Drums and Percussion, with Byron Yasui on Bass and Noel Okimoto on Vibes, Drums & Percussion.

2. “Crazy Rhythm” by Bob Brozman, Mike Auldridge & David Grisman from their recording: Tone Poems III – The Sounds of Great Slide & Resophonic Instruments. This song was composed by Irving Caesar, Joseph Meyer & Roger Wolfe Kahn/from the 1928 Broadway musical: Here’s Howe.

3. “My Heart Belongs to Daddy” sung by Mary Martin accompanied on piano by the song’s composer Cole Porter, who wrote it for the 1938 Broadway musical: Leave It to Me, where it was introduced by Ms. Martin, taken from the antic anthology: Cole Porter – A Great American Songwriter.

4. The Cole Porter composition, “Night and Day,” from the CD: Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica Presents The Unforgettable Sounds of Esquivel, originally from the 1932 Broadway musical: The Gay Divorcee.

5. A medley of “Bali Ha'i” and “Stranger in Paradise” by the slack key guitar master Keola Beamer from his album: Moe’uhane Kika – Tales From the Dream Guitar. “Bali Ha'i” of course is by Rodgers & Hammerstein from their 1949 masterpiece: South Pacific, and “Stranger in Paradise” was by George Forrest and Robert Wright who adapted the music from the Russian composer Alexander Borodin for their 1953 musical: Kismet.

6. “Baubles, Bangles and Beads,” also from Kismet, sung by June Christy on her 1958 LP for children: Cool School, with Joe Castro’s Quartet, featuring Joe Castro on Piano and Howard Roberts on Electric Guitar.

7. The 1944 recording of “Begin the Beguine,” the Cole Porter tune from the 1935 musical: Jubilee, taken from the concupiscent collection: The Best of Les Paul: 20th Century Masters – Millennium Collection.

8. “Body and Soul,” composed by Edward Heyman, Robert Sour, Frank Eyton and Johnny Green in London for the famed stage star Gertrude Lawrence, and later introduced in the U.S. in 1930 in the Broadway revue: Three’s a Crowd, recorded by ukulele master Bill Tapia and guitarist Eric Dyrenforth in 2002 when Tapia was 94 years old for his CD: Tropical Swing.

9. “Namely You” sung in 1960 by the British Bombshell Diana Dors from her historical anthology: Swingin Dors, and composed by Gene DePaul and Johnny Mercer for the 1956 Broadway musical & 1959 motion picture: Li’l Abner, with the orchestra conducted by Wally Stott.

10. “On the Street Where You Live” which of course is from the 1956 Lerner and Loewe production: My Fair Lady, performed here by Arthur Lyman on his 1959 LP: Leis of Jazz, including Alan Soares on Piano and Lyman on congas and vibes recorded at the Henry J. Kaiser Aluminum Geodesic Dome, Honolulu. (3:19) Rykodisc, 1998. TRACK 2

11. “Taking a Chance on Love” written by Vernon Duke, John Latouche and Ted Fetter for the 1940 musical: Cabin in the Sky from the 1956 album: Jazz Spectacular by Frankie Lane and Buck Clayton & His Orchestra, spotlighting Buck Clayton on Trumpet and J.J. Johnson and Kai Winding on Trombones.

12. 1736:31-1739:12 – “Diga Diga Doo” composed by Dorothy Fields and Jimmy McHugh for the Broadway revue: Blackbirds of 1928, performed by Bob Thompson, His Choir & Orchestra in 1958 and taken from the corpulent collection: The History of Space Age Pop, Vol. 1: Melodies and Mischief.

13. “It's All Right With Me” from the 1953 Cole Porter musical Can-Can, recorded by Austin, Texas’ own 8 1/2 Souvenirs from their 1995 CD: Happy Feet, featuring Chrysta Bell on Vocals; Oliver Giroud on Electric Guitar and Glover Gil on Piano.

14. “Hey There,” performed by the inimitable Sammy Davis Jr. on his 1963 LP: A Treasury of Golden Hits with the orchestra arranged and conducted by Morty Stevens. This song was composed by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross for the 1954 musical: The Pajama Game.

15. “A Taste of Honey,” written by Bobby Scott and Ric Marlow for the 1960 Broadway version of the 1958 London play of the same name, recorded in 2004 by Lizz Wright for her album: Dreaming Wide Awake, featuring Bill Frisell on Acoustic Guitar, David Piltch on Bass and Earl Harvin on Bongo Drums.

16. “Love for Sale,” originally composed for the 1934 Broadway musical: The New Yorkers, taken from the 1966 landmark recording: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook, where she was accompanied by Buddy Bregman’s Orchestra.

Pages: 1 0 replies