Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Holy Sh*t! - The ultimate " Buy it now"!!

Pages: 1 7 replies

Does the Wahine come with it?

That all looks and sounds great....so WHY do they want to sell it? There must be some ugly highrises that the angles did not show...
If anybody finds out, please post it, I'm curious....

On 2002-06-28 19:26, bigbrotiki wrote:
....so WHY do they want to sell it?

Yeah, I'm wonderin' the same thing! Hmmm...maybe he's tired of actually having to work in 'paradise'? But I'm guessing that something's wrong or extremely irritating about the actual bar, it's location, or the ins-and-outs of owning/managing it. I mean, $10,000.00 seems awfully cheap for a profitable business in a prime location!

Does Tonga get a lot of tourists?

Anyway, it's still tempting to dream about owning it! Or what if Tiki Central were to purchase it as a collective? Yes, I know, I'm still dreaming, but what if?

And it would be cool to live in - "and earn the respect of" - a south seas kingdom with the world's only all wood palace!

:sheckymug:
Tiki Chris

Well, I think you need someone from a cold, dark, rainy climate to really appreciate a place like that...and then it still might get old after some years. The tropical paradise is something to dream about, not to actually realize, that's why Tiki bars, at home and in the neighbourhood, are so great.
Life in the tropics is a struggle, and you have to be fully committed. I have friends that escaped to Fiji and Costa Rica, and they had all kinds of adversities to fight through. One big one is the mentality of the people. It seems that while one is raised in the Western world to first trust your fellow man until convinced otherwise, in exotic locales the rule is that one MUST mistrust to survive. It's not that the natives are mean, they just think you are stupid if you leave yourself an opening. From what I have seen, life in the tropics is great, IF you can afford it and don't have to work anymore.

Tongans are nice people, but they had a little trouble lately when their government's main financial adviser eloped with several MILLIONS from the islands.

The ultimate warning tale is Marlon Brando's story: As the modern white god, a film star in his prime, he gets to realize the dream of every man in 1962 when shooting the "Mutiny on the Bounty": Not only does he get the Tahitian girl, he buys himself his own Tahitian island(!) and drops out of the rat race.
Yet years after, the paradise crumbles, his son kills his daughter's boyfriend, and I forgot who comitted suicide now, son or daughter.....anyway, for any father, that's hell on earth.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-06-29 12:51 ]

On 2002-06-29 12:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
The tropical paradise is something to dream about, not to actually realize, that's why Tiki bars, at home and in the neighbourhood, are so great.

Wise words indeed. These sorts of places seem like the answer to all life's problems. Why sit around at home going through the bills while the rain pours down outside when you can have a quick swim in a turqoise sea, followed by a few cocktails with all your mellow tanned pals at the 'Bamboo Shack'?

The reality of these places is that anyone who is actually working in these Tropical Paradises has the same old hassles as all of us. I was in the Greek Islands a few weeks ago, and you could tell the people were already shattered from all the work, having to be nice to the tourists, etc.

Years ago I did my dissertation on beach vending in Barbados, and spent 6 weeks there. It sounds wonderful and was for a while, but by the end I was in dire need of meeting people who were not so laid back and/or liked the horrible noisy music I did. I'd even had my fill of rum! All the locals wanted to leave the place too, as there's only one big town, and I guess life on a tropical island just gets predictable after a while.

So, keep dreaming & have your Tiki parties at home.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2002-07-03 15:21 ]

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2002 6:56 AM

Yes, it's a get-away, not a life. That's why I want to put together a nice place down on the Riviera Maya south of Cancun. Get the details right. Great white sand beach, thatch roof, hammocks, AC that works, everything perfect. Then I go down 2-3 times a year and the rest of the time I lease it to other people who appreciate it. Then we all are paying to keep it up and have this lovely get-away. I just need the capitol to start it and then it feeds itself for the next many years...

Sounds great Swanky, but don't forget that my fellow mexican people always have a tax someone forgot to inform you about, and it has to be paid now. But of course the office is closed and the man you are supposed to talk to is in Merida, and and .....

Pages: 1 7 replies