Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Canoe House Pasadena ca

Pages: 1 9 replies

M

Has anyone gone over and checked out the Canoe House in Pasadena ca. on Fair Oaks Ave yet?

http://www.canoehouserestaurant.com/index.html

Your neck of the woods, Murph, I nominate you.

Good urban archeology.
The decor is very Hawaiian plantation.
It also boasts of a Tiki bar.

T

Hey Murph!

Manuel and I went there with Krisdrama and Capt. HR Falernum a couple months ago for lunch... Their veggie burger is quite delish!

The drinks are not spectacular, but mine, a Painkiller-esque "Fantasy Island", was tasty. Manuel and Chris were disappointed in their Bloody Marys, sent 'em back and ordered something else.

I think there's one actual tiki in the place. I read a review that described the atmosphere as more Lilo & Stitch than Trader Vic's, which is pretty accurate... Modern Hawaiian, if you will.

The same review also went on to say that their Mai Tai was too sweet (it's the basic orange juice/pineapple juice/grenadine abomination) and that the reviewer would prefer a Damon's Mai Tai.
Now THAT made me laugh.

I actually want to go back for the veggie burger!

The Canoe House is an inexpensive restaurant, with a mor Hawaiian themed menu than Isands. The decor features an abundance of painted canoe paddles or surfboards, depending on the room. An outriggermcanoe is suspended from the ceiling. The boths are decorated in a Juan Miro inspired pattern. There is bamboo furniture outside warmed by a fire pit.

The pork nachos were delicious and I liked my crab melt, with aioli on the side,

No tiki mugs, although my chi chi was served in a bamboo glass mug.
The tiki bar has a single tiki on a sign which looks like it was done by pariarts.com.
It is bathed in blue light.

The owners heavily invested in the decor, so a carver might want to give them a pitch regarding a tiki.

The website has a menu with accurate pricing and photos.

Overall, it is an excellent contemporary designed Hawaiian bar and grill, with good food and ambience, which compensates for a low tipsy score. Well worth a visit.

There are a few PNG shields and, in the Paddle Room, a painted mural with Tikis on it.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2013-12-27 21:22 ]

K

So from their site they look like a more tiki-oriented Island's. The food actually looks pretty decent, but their drink menu...BOY do they LOVE their Malibu Rum! And if there isn't Malibu in it, there's likely cream of coconut, so all the drinks sound the same to me. Do bartenders take offense at drink instruction from customers? 0:)

Drinks are served in coconuts.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2014-05-16 21:30 ]

K

Is that the Spiked Coconut? Sorry to be broken record but holy hell that sounds extremely sweet just by reading the ingredients on the bar menu: http://www.canoehouserestaurant.com/menus/Drinkmenu.pdf

On 2014-05-17 09:20, kkocka wrote:
Is that the Spiked Coconut? Sorry to be broken record but holy hell that sounds extremely sweet just by reading the ingredients on the bar menu: http://www.canoehouserestaurant.com/menus/Drinkmenu.pdf

Not overly sweet. The most pronounced flavor is the Midori Melon Liqueur, but as I do not particularly care for that flavor, it has a stronger influence on me.

Pages: 1 9 replies