Pages: 1 2 3 138 replies

Enough of this sniveling nonsense!
Repeat after me: "The World Can Kiss My Ass!"
There! Now don't you feel better?

HeHe.....Ben got Fingered!

W

Wait what are we talking about again? -bigtikidude-

And again and again and again.

:drink: :drink: :drink: well at least no one broke out that "Dead Horse" quote yet :drink: :drink: :drink:

TC is so hard these days. No automatic spell check.
I mean "Y"our hair Jeff. Not Our hair. Not that you care anyway.
Where Sven at? He needs to get this boat afloat!! :wink:

My 1960's Osterizer classic VIII I just scored. Thing sounds like a dust buster when I fire it up. Its rad!!!!:D. Hey! There you are Ben.

Now! Keep the comments nice please. :)

On 2013-01-31 22:49, forgotten tikiman wrote:
My 1960's Osterizer classic VIII I just scored. Thing sounds like a dust buster when I fire it up. Its rad!!!!:D. Hey! There you are Ben.

Very nice! Have that model myself.

Hogcock!

That Osterizer is Osterific!
Ben, I just don't know how you do it all with those bamboo splinters in your fingers

FYI: Hogcock is a combo of Hogwash & Poppycock, not my joke.....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-02-01 00:19 ]

ATP, that's just poppywash!

On 2013-01-31 18:24, SuperEight wrote:
I do indeed understand all the pop culture, sci fi , and other nerd references that don't really pass as comedy. And it's a sign of a true comedy hack to blame the audience for all the sounds of crickets that you are hearing.

Well you get what you pay for, now allow me to show you this wonderful finger puppet I save for special occasions :lol:

On 2013-01-30 17:20, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
I'm relatively new to TC but since I've been here I've noticed a lot of people complaining about TC on Facebook and in person. Some of my tiki friends and acquaintenances are saying they don't like TC anymore because of rude and crude behavior. Then, more people chime in about how they dislike TC and stopped visiting. It's getting to be a common complaint. I've met several very cool people here that I now call friends and I'm thankful for that. I've got pretty thick skin, so I don't let the banter bother me but I have seen some innocent posters slammed hard for not being "tiki correct". I really like TC and have learned a multitude of stuff and met a lot of cool people.

So all I'm sayin' is lets all "live aloha" and treat each other like ohana. Even those poor souls that think Jimmy Buffet and Bob Marley are tiki.

Aloha

This was a great statement and I think we should return to it. I have seen way too many complaints on Facebook about how much they miss this place but that it has at times been ruined by a vocal few who:

1. Belittle new folks with insults or just post blind links links to old threads (to tell them to "shut up and not ask that question again, you should have found your answer on page 82 of the discussion")
  2. Derail discussions with unrelated asides, you know verbal diarrhea, usually really, really unfunny, unimaginative comedy (think Robin Williams at his very worst). Stuff that doesn't bring a smile to either a prudish grandma or a filthy insult comic.
  3. Whining about how there is not enough brutal criticism in this place. You know the type. They can't just say "I don't care for something" for this or that reason? They have to belittle and insult and act like their poor fanboy eyes are bleeding because they saw a parrot. And they they pat their narcissistic backs and congratulate themselves about how much "spice" they bring to the place? Great posts about tiki history make this a great site. Informed criticism make this a great site. Sven spices up this site with some of his criticism. But he is pretty much alone in that category. The best TC members are civil, and disagree in a civil way.

P.S. Ben IS funny. But he is one of a kind. You will never be able to emulate him.

Well SuperEight I don't think we have actually met, have we?

I don't know what your gender is so I will just say use some man balls or lady balls
and direct your insults to me by name, since it is intended as such, so you are not a fan
of my humor? that's OK if I could make everyone laugh then I would be the best paid comic in the world.

You are perfectly entitled to criticize & hate my jokes etc. but you sure seem to have alot of pent up hostility for me
just because you read something I said on Tiki Central & did not like it.

why would you let it bother you so much? it is just words on a website, nothing else.
maybe you just need to back away from the keyboard, have a drink & realize how silly your acting
and for what something ,someone you don't know said on the internet.

my only criticism of your comments though are this, your PC crap is just that, crap.

TD

and ..... the circle is complete.
can I get anyone a MOIST TOWELETTE?

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2013-02-01 05:06 ]

On 2013-02-01 00:31, SuperEight wrote:

I have seen way too many complaints on Facebook about how...

Watch out! All that tiki negativity you see on facbook may one day rub off on you. I caught my negativity during the great "What is Tiki" TC debate of 2007. Maybe you should find some new friends in your circle who aren't so negative? They might be the problem-instead of a bunch of people you don't know.

Buzzy Out!

I blame all this on Facebook! it will twist your mind. :lol:
Robin Williams? I thought I was the Sarah Silverman of TC.

And now a quote from the "The Young Ones"
"Neil: [Rick is gulping down pills trying to kill himself]
Uh, Vyvyan, can you actually kill yourself with laxatives?
Vyvyan: I don't know, Neil, but I'm gonna stay and find out!"

Vyvyan "Do you got a video!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ausPKEMVk0

(ATP,your Comedy Hack since just now!)

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-02-01 07:00 ]

TM

Jimmy Buffett is tiki. Punk rock is Tiki. Hawaii is not tiki.

Lucas, can you just stand on that red X on the floor, over there......just for a moment :)

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2013 7:26 AM
  1. Hawaii(ana) is Pre-Tiki
  2. Jimmy Buffett is Tiki Devolution
  3. Punk Rock (sensibility) is Tiki Revival

And I don't understand the references to TC trash talking on FB. My social network of Tikiphiles has grown pretty large since I joined FB last Nov. I see very little mention of Tiki or TC in these posts. I do see cats. Lots and lots of cats.

MH

On 2013-01-31 22:49, forgotten tikiman wrote:

Very cool! I have one similar, but a few years older that belonged to my grandmother. After we move in April, I plan on digging it out and using it often for some fruity, slushy style drinks. Lord knows I could use them.

[ Edited by: Miss Hell 2013-02-01 09:36 ]

HT

Ben,
Is that the new Bar you've been working on!?

If that's going to be the mug, I want it, as I'm sure most people will.

Dig it.

A

This looks like a great opportunity for some elitist old-timer inside-joke shorthand...

MOP-ROMP!
SAD-ONE!
LOCAL!
SALAD!

I think some people don't visit TC very often anymore because they are busy. Some people are turned off by the repetition. Some people are turned off by the fact that some people are turned off by the repetition. Some people are turned off by the fact that some people have to post about being turned off by the people who are turned off by the repetition. Some people aren't sure why they feel compelled to reply to a thread like this on one of their less frequent visits to the site. I can't imagine who that might be.

There is absolutely nothing disagreeable about the premise of common courtesy. But I guess there's also a broader gripe about THE STATE OF TC. This thread has prompted echoes of that gripe expressed with varying degrees of civility, which raises the question:

When talking about the people who are NOT kinder or gentler, is it necessary to be kind or gentle, or is that a special exception where we can freely insult them?

-Randy

TPT the tiki world needs more people like you.

Tiki Central is about Tiki,Not Jimmy Buffett?

What about Jimmy Buffett Tiki?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Jap2IXXkM

W

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2013-02-01 10:51 ]

TM

Immy Buffett is Zazz.

now look at this video and tell me how different it looks from a Tiki Event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-cPckntEY

Honestly

Give him a Bill Tapa Uku and it's Tiki

W

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2013-02-01 11:15 ]

it's a sign of a true comedy hack to blame the audience for all the sounds of crickets that you are hearing.

HOLY CRAP!! is this why I get nothing when I post in my art thread.?
the sound of crickets = hack

TM

On 2013-02-01 11:14, Wildsville man wrote:
now look at this video and tell me how different it looks from a Tiki Event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-cPckntEY

Honestly

Give him a Bill Tapa Uku and it's Tiki

W

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2013-02-01 11:15 ]

I always knew our vice president was a fun guy! Didn't know he played the uke though....

Rory, in all fairness this does look somewhat like saturday night at tiki oasis, headliner. But, you would need to get a lot more tatts going on that crowd to make the picture complete!

:) Tatts= tiki, punk=tiki, Hawaii does NOT = tiki!

MIAMI
IDAHO
SITDOWN

:drink:
:)
8)
:lol:
No emoticon for "I dropped my drink"
:x
:cry:
:oops:
Got a new :drink:

One good thing about posts like this is that a lot of the people this thread may actually be about get distracted by it and focus on it like Sauron's Eye while good posts can happen undisturbed around it. :lol:

BK

Dawn:
If you are not getting responses, it is because we are in awe of your work. Most of us have a least one piece of your art in our Tiki bars.

On 2013-02-01 11:19, Sophista-tiki wrote:

it's a sign of a true comedy hack to blame the audience for all the sounds of crickets that you are hearing.

T

On 2013-02-01 11:19, Sophista-tiki wrote:

It was me, I killed your thread.
When I posted on it died, not even you posted.
I am thread killer.
Look on the bright side you get more feedback on your thread than mine does.
Great stuff by the way.

so funny! I was wondering! I thought I was my own thread killer. But seriously thats onre of the biggest reasons I've tapered off posting on TC , all I ever get is crickets. Since art is really the only vaiid contribution I can make here if there are no responses, than whats the point.

I cause way more trouble over on FB than I do here.

BK

You do cause trouble on FB, but I enjoy your posts! :)

BK

Boy! We got way off topic didn't we? Back to the Lovefest!

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2013-02-01 14:57 ]

T

True I used to think the same thing.
But... your art sells well.
You get lots of hits so people are looking, I look.
I'm just not one to post everytime I see cool great stuff, Guess I should start.
Don't want to become one of those "your great" " no it's you who are great" "ohhh no no no it's you"
people, But then that is a better way to sell tiki.
Can't begin to let you all konw how many times I bite my toung on TC.
This is the kinder, gentler Tikiskip.

For the good and the bad,
Tikicentral is the best!!!

I just have to add one more thing about perceived nice behavior and civility. For all the peeps that are in my approximate age group (I guess we are gen x), its been my observation that sarcasm is the hallmark of our generation. Sarcasm / snarky comments and jokes are almost always misinterpreted unless you actually know the person in real life.

Well I think the lesson we learned today is: Tiki is a harsh Mistress, then you die!

Tikiskip, how come you learned to bite your tongue (even though it hurts like a sona-ma-bitch)
and I can't? I try, but I just can't.....

Dawn just check your thread hits to see all the TCers taking a gander at your werks,I really like
all the fabric you turn out.

Big K, you just keep doing what your doing and one day you will get that BB Gun for Xmas!

Threads like this may have the one good effect of allowing people to just clear the air
in an angst driven, Hate fueled Hellfire of catharsis vomit, just be sure to have a breath-mint handy
for the aftermath (Voice of Kelsey Grammer)

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-02-01 15:33 ]

S

On 2013-02-01 07:26, JOHN-O wrote:

And I don't understand the references to TC trash talking on FB. My social network of Tikiphiles has grown pretty large since I joined FB last Nov. I see very little mention of Tiki or TC in these posts. I do see cats. Lots and lots of cats.

I completely agree JOHN-O. I've never seen any reference to trash talking TC, or mention of it in general myself either.

And the cat pictures aren't all mine. Only some.

On 2013-02-01 15:21, Sophista-tiki wrote:
I just have to add one more thing about perceived nice behavior and civility. For all the peeps that are in my approximate age group (I guess we are gen x), its been my observation that sarcasm is the hallmark of our generation. Sarcasm / snarky comments and jokes are almost always misinterpreted unless you actually know the person in real life.

That's very true, but when sarcasm/snarky comments and jokes are constantly posted and derailing threads, it gets a little tedious.

BK

Most of my FB friends are Tikiphiles, too & I've never seen any negative TC posts on FB. I love TC & FB is growing on me.

TM

BK

Lucas, I've never had the pleasure of meeting you, but I'm rather fond of those other 2 knucklheads!

John O- There is a group on FB called "Tiki" and there are a lot of Tiki Central folks on there. Artists, carvers and tiki lovers that most of us know or have heard of. No cat posts there. No one was 'bashing' TC but the attitude was such that they won't go there anymore. This discourages me because I like this tiki community and want it to thrive.

ATP- Don't assume any of this is directed at you. It wasn't.

All- Its good to talk it out. Tiki therapy. I hope to see some of you at Mojave Oasis. Now pick up yer Mai Tai and DRINK!

On 2013-02-01 16:53, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
John O- There is a group on FB called "Tiki" and there are a lot of Tiki Central folks on there. Artists, carvers and tiki lovers that most of us know or have heard of. No cat posts there. No one was 'bashing' TC but the attitude was such that they won't go there anymore. This discourages me because I like this tiki community and want it to thrive.

ATP- Don't assume any of this is directed at you. It wasn't.

All- Its good to talk it out. Tiki therapy. I hope to see some of you at Mojave Oasis. Now pick up yer Mai Tai and DRINK!

Well said! That's my main concern. Hell, if folks want to behave like steaming piles of dung, I couldn't care less, but it can have a negative effect on the community as well as this site. How many people might have contributed a whole lot more had they not just gotten fed up with 10th grade smack talk? While some is actually funny and I'm sure intended to be so, a lot is just pathetic and fueled by internet anonymity. I don't know if it's so much a matter of who can take it or not, so much as it's often "why bother". Life's simply too short to tolerate childish annoyances. There's a reason grown folks don't hang out with 7th graders. Why tolerate adolescent annoyances when there are simply far better, more fruitful things to do with your time.

The sad fact is that most of what this community has to offer in terms of historic materials, information and research can be of benefit whether you contribute or not. That being said it certainly behooves those that care for this site to do our best to give folks a reason to contribute rather than simply a compelling reason to just lurk.

K

Dead Horse y'say?

hmmm... if the accepted contemporary meaning runs along the lines of -
person "a" arguing a forgone conclusion at the exclusion of persons "b,c,ds'" opinion.

no, don't see any of that.

Or, the older meaning of - battling away at a lost cause...

no, can't detect any of that either, things seem to be proceeding quite smoothly
and in a civil and even healthy manner, although various insecurities are bubbling
to the surface.

Soooo, no, no dead horses here.

p.s. does ones overriding desire to be polite amount to a weakness?

"p.s. does ones overriding desire to be polite amount to a weakness?"

I would say no, often it simply amounts to having grown up.

I have a tendency to call people dumba$$ (including myself). However, I do so only with those folks that know me well enough to know it is not malicious, but rather light-hearted silliness. The same usually goes for my sarcasm. I'm the most sarcastic smart a$$ person you could meet, but there is a time and place for everything. Folks that don't know me are unlikely to be treated in this manner simply because I don't know them well enough yet. There are a lot of behaviors we accept from our friends that could end badly if we received that same treatment from a stranger. It's not just a matter of consideration, but also a matter of perspective.

Interesting discussion any way you slice it..

You know I beat you, Because I love you TC!

I hope this wasn't all because of my silly little facebook post....

"If I put this up on Tiki Central they would tare me apart. lol!!"!

Timeline Photos
My Dad was more Tiki than your Dad. On Guam, WW2, Tapa Cloth print shorts, drinking a beer with a Shaka!
By: Bamboo Ben

Pages: 1 2 3 138 replies