Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Tahonga Room

Pages: 1 32 replies

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 12:30 PM

Krby think GROG should call it The Tahonga Hut, but it's just a room, so GROG call it the Tahonga Room. (It's in Tujunga, that where name come from.)

It was originally the Pool room because it has the pool table in there, but then GROG Tikified it for a luau GROG had. It was only supposed to be up for the party, then all the Tiki crap was going to come down, but everybody that came to GROG' luau said GROG had to leave it up. So GROG looked online to find more Tiki crap to Tikify it even more and GROG come upon Tiki Central. GROG heard about Bamboo Ben on Tiki Central and so GROG go down to Huntington Beach to buy Tiki crap from Ben for GROG' room. GROG met Bamboo Ben, and eventually Ben convince GROG to join Tiki Central and GROG life went to hell from there.

The Tahonga Room was only supposed to be temporary, so everything is held together by Hot Glue and staples.

Entrance to the Tahonga Room from the kitchen. Three steps down into the Tahonga Room.
GROG does ceramic glazing in the kitchen. That's why there's all the ceramic crap in the photo.

View from the steps just to the left of the bar.

Closer view.

There's a wet bar in the corner, it's behind the fabric. It's storage for luau party supplies and
also more Tiki art GROG hasn't framed yet that needs to go up on the walls. (Including a Doug Horne
original colored pencil)The rest of the art will have to be rearranged to add the new art.
The record player sits there also, but it's in the garage where GROG cleans ceramic greenware.

View looking towards the Kitchen. Kiegs Tiki carving on the left. The best piece Kieg's has done and one of GROG' favorite possesions.
(Yes, that a plastic party city Tiki on the right side of the bar, and fake plastic Tikis on the front. The ones on the front have been drybrushed to look more real).
It was all supposed to be temporary, so initially GROG did everything as cheap as possible. The ceiling remained a white popcorn ceiling for several years.

Some detail shots.

Closer shot of Kieg's awesome Tiki.

Dart board by Bamboo Ben. The tapa print is from the Kontiki in AZ Ben salvaged when he did the refurbish.
A little remnant from Eli.

One of my fellow Simpsons artists drew a homer inside, so I left it.

A collection of smaller Tikis, candles and pendants. Pendant holder by Kirby.

Paddle by Tikimecula on left and Kiegs on right of pool cues.

Some great mugs in a Bamboo Ben shelf.

Some more great mugs in a neat Tiki Diablo outrigger shelf.

View behind the bar.

More fun mugs in a shelf from Cammo.

More mugs. GROG told GROGself GROG wasn't going to become a mug collector
when GROG first built the damned Tiki bar.

Dusty Tiki bar top. Black velvet purchased from Gecko at one of the Tiki Oasises.

Shower curtain with Hawaiian sunset to cover sliding glass door.

Frame by Bamboo Ben for S.S. Lurline dinner menu.

It's 2-sided so it flips over to show the inside of the menu.
Yes, both of those Tikis are Party City plastic Tikis painted black and dry brushed.

Some suffering bastards taking up residency on the bar top.

A wall of artwork.

CDs in the milk crate on the left and several stacks of old records.

Tiki Diablo Tiki on left. Buzzy Tiki in middle. Filipino carved Tiki from Bensons on the right.

Tiki by Alohastation in Florida.

The incredible detail by the man, the myth, the legend Tikimecula.

Hirschfeld print with Tikis from Tiki Kate's estate. The Atomikitty black velvet
was a gift from Bongofury.

Tikis and canoe by Lake Surfer and photo of Wahine with Crazy Al tiki from Al.

The first Luau at the Tahonga Room and the first Drink Goddess Shannon serving drinks.

Suzy (Atomikitty) was the Drink Goddess serving drinks at the last Luau.

GROG have Luau at Tahonga Room 7 years in a row.
Here invitations GROG make for Luaus:
(GROG change address and phone number and blur out directions so none of GROG' stalkers know how to find GROG' cave.)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-09 18:48 ]

TT

Grog is wizard with hot glue and staples.

The bar is beautiful!

HT

I love your posts.

Nice bar. And story. And tiki.

Hey that does not look like a cave to me!
Has Grog been pulling the wool over our eyes all this time?

Grog just took interior shot, here is the exterior :wink:

OK I see it now....

K

tiki crap gooood

WooHoo!! :)

GROG heard about Bamboo Ben on Tiki Central and so GROG go down to Huntington Beach to buy Tiki crap from Ben for GROG' room. GROG met Bamboo Ben, and eventually Ben convince GROG to join Tiki Central and GROG life went to hell from there.

GROG forgot part where GROG spent 4 hours in Bamboo Ben Store and Bamboo Ben thought GROG was crazy person so Bamboo Ben
( holding knife and hammer behind bar/desk) ask GROG Who the F#!k are you?!? Then GROG draw picture of "Tiki Homer" and evrything OK from there. Not Bamboo Ben fault GROG had likin' to tiki. Bamboo Ben remember GROG first Oasis. GROG got writers cramp! Sorry GROG. Bamboo Ben say's.. " that GROG! He draws "Tiki Homer! Bamboo Ben make GROG busy caveman! "xoxoxo!

p.s. Grog rOOm gOOd!!! gOOd GROG!!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 7:05 PM

Thanks for elaborating Ben. GROG just tried to keep post short without going into too much detail, but yep, that's pretty much the way it happened and downfall of GROG into Tiki oblivion.

The rest of you are crazy. Chrisandsarahb you must have gotten that off of street view on Google maps.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-06 20:41 ]

Forgotten Tikiman think GROG Tiki room is cool. That is funny and great Ben. Made me laugh

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:30 AM

Thanks.

GROG need to have another party. The Tahonga Room is the least used room in the house.

You have plenty Hula Hoops......

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2013 3:30 AM

For hula hoop contest.

WC

Amazing what ya can do with one cave &
2 apposing thumbs.
I don't see your "Klub" rack.
I'm sure they're proudly displayed.
I know they're surly used.
I've healed well.

HT

That paddle by Tikimecula is outstanding. Wow.

Also, I like that you started out with bad tiki, because it's all you knew, then grew by leaps and bounds, without abandoning the bad tiki that was your roots. Those are the nicest damn Party City tikis I've ever seen. Hahaha.

W

Awesome room Grog! Thanks for sharing with us all.

Chris

S

You have some great pieces in your tiki oasis my friend!

Grog, I like it and your posts always make me laugh.
You've got a great variety of art from so many different people and it really adds to the eye candy of the room.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2013 9:37 AM

Thanks everybody.

On 2013-02-07 04:38, Will carve wrote:
I don't see your "Klub" rack.
I'm sure they're proudly displayed.
I know they're surly used.
I've healed well.

The Klubs are upstairs in the studio, and GROG keep one under the bed. Still haven't cleaned the blood off the one GROG use on you.

On 2013-02-07 04:40, Hale Tiki wrote:
That paddle by Tikimecula is outstanding. Wow.

Also, I like that you started out with bad tiki, because it's all you knew, then grew by leaps and bounds, without abandoning the bad tiki that was your roots. Those are the nicest damn Party City tikis I've ever seen. Hahaha.

Yep. That paddle is the most awesomest EVER!! Bought it when GROG had been unemployed for awhile and didn't have that much money to spend, but T-mec offered GROG such a great price GROG couldn't pass it up. GROG feel like GROG need send T-mec some more money, but the bastard hasn't been posting on TC.

GROG started with Party City Tikis because everything was originally only supposed to be up for a weekend and GROG was trying to do it cheap as possible. GROG was also making fun of the "kitschiness" of Tiki.
Once GROG got serious about Tiki and got to know a bunch of the incredible Tiki artists, GROG started buying the good stuff. One day when GROG make a real Tiki room and bar, it will look much different, but still have much of the same great art.
The party Tikis aren't actually bad designs. You just have to paint 'em black and drybrush on them to make them look like they were carved out of wood.

Thanks WestADad and SandraDee. I do have some great pieces, except for one from Bowana that GROG SHOULD have won at Tiki Oasis silent auction. Damn you SandraDee!!

On 2013-02-07 08:50, tikilongbeach wrote:
Grog, I like it and your posts always make me laugh.
You've got a great variety of art from so many different people and it really adds to the eye candy of the room.

Glad GROG could make you laugh Lori. There are some awesome Tiki artists and GROG try to help support the Tiki community. Plus, the pieces look great in GROG Tahonga Room.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-07 09:40 ]

Lori happy that GROG share his tiki room!

LOVE IT! You have some amazing pieces, I am most jealous.

I feel like I know you a little better now that I have seen your home tiki space and heard your story. Thanks for sharing.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2013 9:58 PM

On 2013-02-08 17:57, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
I feel like I know you a little better now that I have seen your home tiki space and heard your story.

GROG feel so violated.

That's what happen. GROG open up and share a little piece of GROGself with the world and they take advantage of that vulnerability.
Now GROG have to get yet another restraining order. :wink:

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 9, 2013 1:09 AM

GROG got spammed. But, the spammer and spam has been deleted.

Thanks hakalugi.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-09 11:46 ]

T

Grog, :o
it looks like you got your 30 Days Notice! :)

I have counted coup on the spammer, just a matter of time now....

S

Yeah, if only you had Bowana's greatest creation of all time as part of your collection......don't worry my friend, I've added into my will that its yours when I die (well if no one else wants it first). Xoxo

I see your diary in 2 photos:
GROG LOG

Lots of good stuff in there...

Jon

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 9, 2013 11:44 AM

Thanks ya'll.

SandraDee thanks for putting GROG in your will to get the Boawana mug. How are the brakes on your car?

Hanging10", not all the drinks in the Groglog are good. The Beachcomber's Gold sucks and GROG not a coffee drinker, so GROG not a fan of the coffee drinks or drinks with strong Kalua taste. Not a fan of black licorice either, so don't like the drinks with strong Pernod.

I'm liking it! Nicely done Grog.

BB

Here's some pic's from The Tahonga Room back in 2007 ~

GROG! Love your Tahonga room, it is awesome! I will have a small cave myself someday, and will use Tahonga room as Inspiration.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 9, 2013 6:04 PM

Thanks everybody.

Boris you give GROG idea. GROG add GROG' Luau invitations to first page.

Lori cries that GROG is getting a restraining order!

To illustrate my sad feelings I googled "crying wahine" and THIS is what I got!

What the heck!?!?!?

Pages: 1 32 replies